Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Panel Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Nice project great for business promo. It's a Panel Truck which is based on truck. Sedan Delivery is another style based on car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Auliz: Unbelievable nice body to start with, lucky you. I like the plan you have for it. Sounds like fun for you and your boy. One thing you might do is experiment with the colors for it. Color can change the entire look of it. You could let your son have a few photo copies of it and color them in different colors to see what you ll will like. I say all of this because the 'brown" doesn't sound appetizing if you know what I mean. Anyway, it looks really good, have fun!!! Tim

3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Thanks, I also like sedan deliveries and panel deliveries. 3-4years ago I was looking 50´s Station wagons, but then I decided to sell my 1964 Airstream Caravelle RV. Sedan deliveries have seen many times car meetings here in Scandianvia and in California but early panel deliveries are maybe more rare.

I understand what You mean about color. I have had Grey and green hot rods (+ junky rat rod), so I want something else. Red and blue colors are too much use used. Black is nice but bodys figure is many times dissapear.

I have think maybe one of these colors: RAL 8017 or RAL 8019. Cream wheels. Pinstraips can be cream, blue, orange,... Chocolate brown is nice, but Greybrown looks old and cool.

http://www.ralcolor.com/

Aulis

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I've always liked the combo of 3003 and 5002.
    There was a trucking firm around here who ran then, and then 3002 and 9010 pin striping on there truck.
    Fenders, and running bords in rubinred, rest of the body in ultra marine blue. Red has White stripping, and the blue has white striping.

Intat åkeri havde skönera utsena bilar I byan.

Just my silly 2 cents

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

I like also ral 5002. I had Harley which I paint using that color.
    There is so much posibilities and different cars, yearmodels of cars,.....

In this case I use Matting base, maybe 30-35%.

Aulis

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Not bad at all. But if you like matting, try matting the blue and keep the red in shine. Not a bad combo!
    And try putting pictures up on the photoshop threat to end all, they do great stuff!

The Volvo/glasurit code 46, for Amazon series (not 240) is a beautiful color. Looks good on most things!

7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Rear Fender pics

ah

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Fulton "gangster visor". I bought from Ebay very bad condition sunvisor. Yesterday I fixed it 6hours and now looks more like it must be. Need to look from internet how they bolt it to body and missing some brackets, and another small parts.

Aulis

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and harpo1313 like this.
  9. Cool looking panel,enjoying this!

10. No rear firewall on 41 panels, and many came with just a drivers seat. I've had one for over 40 years and none of the factory literature shows one. Wasn't much of government mandated safety regulations in those days.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, maybe. Bit if it was to be made legal in Scandinavia, they had something made up, out of steel mesh, plexiglass or wood.
    In Denmark, it has to keep the load, from crushing the driver, so something was invented.

About 99% of all panel vans in Denmark is on a Truck reg.
    meaning only 80% of the cars value oppon arrivel, included part of the shipping, tax (24%) and the cost of making it legal!

A car was 180% of above stated value. And you nedded a approval from the Germans in 1940 to buy a car. So no US cars until early 50s

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello,
    I agree and I know that we have very near same rules here in Finland than in Danmark.
    I make plywood wall between cabins

40s they hadn´t so much safety rules.

Today I just welded LH rear door and hope that now all welding jobs are over.
    Need to TIG weld Sunvisor and drill mounting holes to A-pilar.

Today arrived big airshipment to my hot rod shop. There was also all gaskets, missing crome parts, etc to my panel delivery. Now I have all ready. Seat (1936 cabriolet sofa) is still in Sweden, but need to go some weekend pick it up home.

One month more and panel delivery is painted.

After one week comes 1934 5w coupe to my garage. Owner is Swedish hot rodder and I need to chop that car like we have make deal. After that I can continue with panel delivery.

Aulis

Attached Files:

13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

That big visor really changes the round forehead look, I like it. Saw a mostly stock Harley Panhead last summer painted root beer metallic and cream, it was gorgeous.

14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Your righ.t Brown colour variations are old style and easy to use together.
    Panel delivery windshield is less slanted than sedan delivery windshield and A-pilar.
    Im not sure, but looks like that. Also panel delivery top is very high --> sunvisor makes outlook "smoother" and maybe little lower too.

This panel has been lowered 5-6" using Monoleafs front and rear. Maybe possible drop down more, but
    then needs independent suspension front,.... 4bars rear,... Now car is nearly 2meter high (6feet + 4-6").
    One way to make it lower is use lower tires, but I like those highside whitewall listers.

I like more old style, old things (old house, decor, vintage cars or racecars) and never understand those "bling bling hi-tech street rods" or all what they are doing their cars when trying to change old car like a new car.

Aulis

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  15. farmer12

farmer12

Great project!

16. JAB_AIR

JAB_AIR
    from Australia

Nice project, keep the pics coming I love the 40 panel truck maybe because I'm doing one myself :)
    Well I'm hoping to start on it very soon. Shes in a bad way but worth saving. keep up the good work and keep the pics coming there a big help. Btw the visor looks great I've got one on my 38 always been a fan of fulton visors .

Cheers John

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The high and huge are what make your ride unique. Those panels are so handy, for lack of a better word. One can sleep in it, haul the club's crap, and bring home all the "stuff" from the swap meet.

38nailhead likes this.
  19. tobias1954

tobias1954
    from Norway

Hello Aulis!
    So you got the panel from CWMoss/Reid's backyard. It has been there for a few years and I have checked it out everytime I have been there. Looks as you have had a great start on this and I really hope to see it completed in person some day. Keep up the good work!

Lawrence Clayton and volvobrynk like this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Gary; You´r correct. Panel delivery is handy and there is so huge space in cargo area. Long and high. Easy to load full of stuff and use for sleeping if go to swapmeets. Very much bigger space than sedan deliveries and stationwagons.

Tobias you´r right, car is from Orange CA. Not original CA car but rather good Project. It took only 3weeks to weld all and fix all dents, dips, scratch,.. Car arrived to Finland middle of November but I had then my customers A-ford "under construction". I got A-Ford ready middle of January and started to built Panel after that. Now have 1-2week time to work with panel and then comes 1934 5w from Sweden. It takes 2weeks to chop that car, after that can continue with panel.

If 8BA engine is ok, panel is ready end of May. Tranny has been rebuilt, brakes are OK, rear feels and looks good and if engine is OK, it helps very much.. First I was think that I chop my cabriolet but that car is so good condition , over 60years old hot rod, so I want to save car like it is. Just changed rear spring for dropped 1932 model. Need to tune engine, change cam, "plug" oil leaks, change fuel pump to mechanical etc.

When spring is coming here North, need to have 2 car ready for driving (1932 5w coupe and cabriolet).
    Then I have time to finish panel ready before midsummer.

Pic: I like that tirecover, and its location.
    Pic2: those parts Bumper Shop recromed (and fixed) before car shipped to Finland. Here is so expensive that kind of services,....maybe 4 times CA Price.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  21. Who knows--it may have been wrecked in front years ago and repaired with used parts from a '41. Anyway, just a heads up if you want hanging pedals to replace the under floor pedal assembly. A '52-56 Ford car pedal assembly will fit '40-'47 Ford pickups and panels like it was custom made for it. We put a pedal assembly that I took out of a '55 Ford in a friend's '46 pickup.

22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Good to know that latermodel pedals fit 40-47 commercial fords. Maybe that info helps another builders too!
    I just rebuilt original pedals and maincylinder.

Have been one week sick (virus) and done nothing else than lieing on the sofa and eat different colour pills,....

Last friday arrived new shipment from CA. I got missing hood opening handle (crome) and short crome moldings to the sides of hood. Those were only parts what BumperShop did not fix and recrome (sink diecasting stuff).

one day more to fix Fulton and it is what it is.

Aulis

Attached Files:

23. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I'll weigh in on the partition behind cab and back of the truck. If you are going to haul swap meet stuff I would think a sturdy, yet removable partition would be a real plus. I remember a guy who ran at Dover Dragstrip when I was young. Had a station wagon and went to Albany to pickup a SBC longblock assembly. Had rear seat folded down, tudor wagon, and had a collision on the highway that caused the unsecured engine block to come forward and smash into him. Not a pretty picture.
    This truck will truly be a cool ride that you would have seen at the lakes in the 50s pushing a bellytank.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally I have time to continue Panel Project.

I just changed some wheel bearings, all wheel seals, brake hoses and some of brakelines.
    Fuel tank is cleaned and bolted on. New Walker radiator fits good.

Next need to pull out engine and tranny.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Engine works, brakes ready, exhaust pipes done and wheels + grill painted.

Next need to continue with body and fenders. 2weeks more and I think all are painted.

AULIS

Attached Files:

czuch, harpo1313 and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just found your thread and what a jewel you have there! That flathead should run pretty good with that blower on it. As for the partition, maybe make one out of expanded metal? Subscribed!

czuch likes this.
  27. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That is a great project, I like the looks of panel deliveries. I'm glad you are not chopping it, keep up the good work.

28. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You. I like also very much like it is now "unchopped".

Aulis

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Project continue. Next week I paint all Fenders, Front doors, Hood.

I need to use my friends carpaint Company. He has very good paint room etc.

500-1000usd all costs to paint car (materials,...) but need to do all myself,...
    Its so expensive now a days if Company is doing all (3000-7000usd).

AULIS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    LOU WELLS and volvobrynk like this.
  30. 40zr1

40zr1

I had a '41 many years ago and I believe yours is also a '41. It didn't have a divider between cargo and passenger. Anyway, nice truck and I'm sure you'll get many thumbs up!!!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.