Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Always love to see the old .25 cent magazines from the late 50's and early 60's

Plenty of content and interesting how to stories and very little advertising back in those day's.

I have a box full of those old magazines. Jimbo

3. [​IMG]
    The above is black and white, but I don't think it's a vintage photo.
    Not a whole lot out there on Hebo vintage wise.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. Someone took a pic of their new car by Mt. Hebo AFS...
    [​IMG]

5. Camping at the Oregon Coast, 1963
    [​IMG]

6. Alsea, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Bandon, Oregon parade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Elk City, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Central Coast Fire & Rescue fleet
    [​IMG]
    Flood in Bandon, OR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

wow, he's got wood!

8. The Polynesian, Pier 51, July 1963 Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]

9. Palm Springs, California, newly remodeled Richfield station in 1963
    [​IMG]

10. Seaside, Oregon, this is what I remember as a kid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OH YEAH! Seaside!
    Pig n Blanket ring a bell?
    The Pypo Club?
    The Nickelodions in the ancient "fun center" by the pool?? My brother won a case of O Henry bars there.
    Ski Ball.
    The riots!
    Pronto Pups!
    I grew up in Oregon in the 50-60's. My Dad was in the Forest Service, we went a lot of places.
    Speaking of Hebo, are you familiar with the Mt Hebo radar stories> You couldn't miss that HUGE white radome on the way to the coast, it's an interesting story. It actually was a key part of the SAGE System and the Cold War.Intrigue and mystery!
    I live in SoCal now, but these pics make me yearn for the Van Duzer Corridor (sic)!!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  12. Mt Hebo Radar. Soviet "trawlers" were regular visitors off shore.
    Note cars in foreground.
    [​IMG]

13. tinsled

tinsled

A magnificient castle! Does this building exist today?

14. We were a Lincoln City family (we've a house at Roads End still), my dad thought Pixie Kitchen and Pixieland were too touristy to go to...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wingnutz and Gary Reynolds like this.
  15. It does indeed, lovingly maintained and heavily used.
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

16. Is it still active?

18. No, long gone. It was totalled in the Columbus Day storm ( winds over 120 mph ) then rebuilt, eventually closed.I think it was severely damaged a second time.It was a pretty sophisticated deal in it's day, linked by "computers" to search WAY out in the Pacific for incoming aircraft. In those days the Portland AFB ( now the Air Guard) had F-89's, then, F-102 Delta Daggers ( n0t F-106's) ready to "scramble" incoming Soviets!
    As I said, my Dad was in the Forest Service, knew lots of "government" people, plus a high ranking US Army Engineers officer. They also sent him to the Nuclear Weapons School at Pt. Magu California ! Lot's of rumors. Check out the following:
    "
    The Mt. Hebo Radar Station was manned by the 689th Radar Squadron, and was a component of the Air Force Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system for air defense. The detection and identification of incoming aircraft was enabled through communications from Mt. Hebo linking the SAGE computers at Oregon's Adair Air Force Station with the McChord Air Force Base in Washington, employing the supersonic F-106 Delta Dart for the interception and destruction of enemy aircraft, if necessary.

War veterans that lived in Willamina and other nearby coastal towns have stories that indicate there was more going on at Mt. Hebo than was reported to the public. One source has admitted that he was commanded to take daily military flights from Portland into the coast range while blindfolded. The flights took about an hour, and he worked 8 hour shifts at an underground location, which he felt was near a missile silo. He reports the location as being Mt. Hebo, although he cannot be certain. At the eastern summit of Mt. Hebo is a large, flat area that appears to have been a landing strip. Other soldiers who lived near Hebo have similar stories, and the next generation of kin have reported seeing huge doors built into slopes about halfway up the mountain. Some of the roads accessing the doors can still be seen, but the doors themselves were bulldozed over many years ago. The military radar and interception operations weren't classified; one has to wonder what would have justified blindfolding military personnel. The fact remains that the west coast faced toward hostile territory during the years of the Cold War." (From a tourist site.)
    I'm pretty skeptical about missiles! It was pretty top secret though, at least for something that might as well have had a flashing neon sign on it.
    SAGE is VERY interesting, without it, you might not have an internet today!
    Amazing GIGANTIC computers..in the 1950's!
    Read here: http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-billion-sage-the-largest-computer-ever-built

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  19. I had no idea - it explains why all the Mt. Hebo stuff popped up when I googled Hebo, OR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.