Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED, Feb. 3, 1959...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I went to see Lynyard Skynyrd in Greenville,South Carolina October 20,1977 not having a clue as to this would be the last performance featuring Ronnie Van Zant,Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines that died in the plane crash on their way to Baton Rouge,La.

They put on one heck of a show that night. HRP

mad mikey and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Spoggie and volvobrynk like this.
  3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The
    Drifters" were from Redondo Beach.

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

a lot of memories in these posts and a few myths.The plane was NOT named "american pie" or anything else-I think this myth started when people were trying to guess the meaning of the words to Don McClean"s[sic] song.and yes the trivial pursuit card is wrong.the plane was a Beechcraft bonanza[recognized by its V tail]no name,just a registration #

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO MY FRIENDS HERE AT THE H.A.M.B...

If you're new to the H.A.M.B. and haven't heard this yet, or, if you missed it before, one of the most-tragic days in the History of R&R Radio was February 3, 1959.
    [​IMG] ...it was the day that the plane carrying Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and, The Big Bopper, crashed in a field near Mason City, Iowa, killing all three singers, and the pilot. We've all cruised to "That'll Be The Day", "La Bamba", and, "Chantilly Lace", and these were the guys who sang 'em.

I've had this rare, historic, News Bulletin about the crash on that day, in my Archives for a long time, and when I decided to add it to the WebSite, I added a little bit of music from Buddy Holly, and Richie Valens, PLUS, the voice of The Big Bopper with his legendary Intro to start things off...to give it a little more balance and give you a chance to hear their voices again.

This special, rare audio that you'll hear is not very long..BUT, it is very important. I wanted to share this with you. Maybe next time when you hear Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, or, The Big Bopper on your radio you'll think about the musical legacy they left us, and remember that they left us way too soon.

SPECIAL NOTE: I've also added a GREAT story on the Page you'll go to that was written by Andrew Vaughan for the Gibson Guitar Company...it is a "must read" that gives a timeline and full Info on what happened at that tragic night.
    Here's the direct Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  8. I have always wondered what Running Bear would have sounded like if J.P. Richardson had got the chance to record the song he wrote. JW

Jonnie King likes this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

When I lived in Sioux City....I took the trip up to the Surf Ballroom and the long walk along the fence dividing the two corn fields to the crash site.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    RonaldR and Jonnie King like this.
  10. chargin03

chargin03

Buddy Holly rocks !

11. GeeRam

GeeRam

Legend.....much prefer his early rockabilly stuff to the later pop ballard stuff he was doing, although that was technically excellent......it was just, well, a bit tame.

He also played guitar on other people's records, Starlight by Jack Huddle being the most well known probably and featured some classic Holly pickin.

ace5043 and Jonnie King like this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! Thanks for that.

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

26 T Ford RPU,
    That would have been a great idea ! Another cool song by Johnny Preston is "Cradle of Love"...it rocks from start to finish !

JK

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

&
    GeeRam...

Thanks for this ! Norman Petty's Studio in New Mexico was where a lot of hits were . Norman was a writer, producer, owned the studio, and recorded Buddy & the Crickets there...as well as Buddy's solo stuff. As a kid, I remember he also had the Norman Petty Trio ("Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs was recorded there too.)

You're right about his rockabilly material... it was always good. Some of his "milder" songs did have good pedigrees though: "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" was penned by Paul Anka, and, It's Raining In My Heart", was from Felice & Boudleaux Bryant who wrote for the Everly Brothers.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Recently Dion spoke at length about "The day the Music died" search for the interview,He and the Belmonts were on the same tour and had appeared at the Prom Ballroom in St. Paul shortly before the plane crash. I was able to see them all at the Prom as I caught a ride with Dad who worked up the street at Midway Chevrolet never thought that would be the last of their days just around the corner. There are some links here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...feb-1959-coin-toss-day-the-music-died.240685/

16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

LYNYRD SKYNYRD is really a high school science teacher, not sure why the band name their group after him.

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

2935ford,
    I would love to be able to see that place sometime...it's truly hallowed ground.

Thanks for that,

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I found the video ! Check it out!

Hamtown Al and hidez57 like this.
  19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

JeffB2,
    What a great story, and thanks for the links !
    Sometime in the late-70's when I was at KSLQ Radio here in St. Louis, I did get to meet & see Bobby Vee...who came in to do the show after the crash. He was young when that all happened, but the memories still echoed through the canyons of his mind...and touched him deeply.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Jonnie

20. 2935ford

2935ford

Jonnie King,
    If you do get a chance to go there. Visit the Surf Ballroom first......then drive the short distance to the airport they departed from.

It was not good weather they had to takeoff on.
    Then drive to the crash site and look back towards the airport..........they didn't get far.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoyed that, thanks. But Dion's version of who was meant to be on that plane differs from Waylon's. And Tommy Allsup tells the same story Waylon does, so I'm buying that version. Of course, memory is a fickle thing, especially 50 year old memories. My guess is that Dion simply was unaware of the fact that Buddy meant to fly his boys (Waylon and Tommy) to Fargo, and by the time Dion knew what was going on, it was J.P. and Ritchie who were going. Or something like that.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It makes me sick to think that a few years later, those British mop-headed assholes blasted onto the scene. Problem is, the young Americans who were staging to become a real embarrassment to their parents and America in general later in the 60's, welcomed these no-talent pricks with open arms and wallets. Remember the Summer of Love in Cal.? What a bunch of zeroes developed from that behavior. I am 69, so I vividly remember. That part of my peer group is best forgotten. Oh, shit ! Let's get back to building rides. P.S. Buddy Holly lives on big time in Texas.

23. Thanks for that Gary. Copycat American mop-headed assholes were, you will find, the ones with no talent. I'm outta this.

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The South produced some rag-tag, badass bands like Marshall Tucker Band, Lynard Skynerd(shit spelling). Charlie Daniels Band, great Southern rock. I don't think America needed the Brits. The Kennedy assassination had nothing to do with music changing, IMHO. I do remember how the JFK debacle initiated a general distrust by my generation(bn. 1947) of our Gov't, and it really never got any better as the decades passed. So many questions concerning the "misinformation" produced by the Warren Report. I listened to rock n roll music, thought about buying an "old" car to build, and cruised in my '53 Customline 2dr. Didn't know what traditional meant. Too bad Ryan wasn't borne.

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow! Condemning the evolution of music; if it wasn't for those guys there would have been a slower growth of the genre. Think of all the growth that came afterwards. And as far as your viewpoint on the "embarrassment" movement the world as a whole has received more accountability from their elected governments. So I guess two bad things came out of that time period. What about those asshole automotive developments that we enjoy and appreciate today? Safety glass, automatic trannies, seat belts, crumple zones, side impact bars, corrosion resistance, etc. Bloody hell, progress is a bugger. Not back to regular scheduled programming.

26. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

BrerHair & JeffB2...
    Thanks to both of you for the Links/Video adds. Dion's version is different, and Waylon's is about exactly as Andrew Vaughan's story that he researched for Gibson Guitars...the story I added to my news bulletin that was broadcast. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

And, I think you're thoughts are the same as mine, BrerHair. But, again, I think Dion believes his version...due to what you mentioned. No matter, the fact that the impact of that night still haunts us all is why we take the time to share our thoughts & memories here.

Thanks to all,

27. GeeRam

GeeRam

:D

But, remember it was largely as a result of getting to see Holly (and Cochran) tour the UK that inspired those mop-headed assholes onto what they did.......;)
    While I do think they are massively over-hyped by all and sundry, McCartney is a huge Holly fan, and often cites him as a major inspiration. Harrison's guitar playing was heavily influenced by Cochran, as it's known he went to see as many of Eddie's gig's as possible on that ill-fated 1960 UK tour, just to get to the front and study Eddie's hands and fingers handle that famous Gretch 6120 (as did quite a number of other young guitarists that went on later to much bigger things in the music world)

28. Tony

Tony

29. Dan

Dan

My Dad was planning to attend the show in Fargo they were traveling to, used to listen to Dad's 8 tracks of Buddy Holly.