Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED, Feb. 3, 1959...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

That time of year again... The original link to the Frankie Sardo song is busted, so here's the new one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-peiij1tNc

And now here's "Fake Out", the song he performed that night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3WuEslyMWU

Sadly, Bobby is now in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease...:(

2. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Chris...

Thanks for the Link and the info. That is very sad. Bobby came into his own in the 60's, and I was always a big fan of his.

His first big hit was "Devil or Angel"...a remake of the Clovers classic, and, "Rubber Ball" is still one of my all-time favorites as I remember Crusing (on the nights I wasn't playing drums somewhere) in my '58 T-Bird with one of my girlfriends, and when "Rubber Ball" hit the speakers I'd automatically crank-up the volume...and she loved it !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Titus, Big Bad John, gtnrkix, Nick JT, Black 62, Eppster, 60widewitez...

Thanks for your input also. And, as I told a local Hamber, Tim, when he called me today, one of the groups that I played in here in St. Louis was the "Renegades"...and we did a great version of "True Love Ways", and "Donna". That's one of the reasons I added a "touch" of "Donna" to the Tribute Page:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

5. buddy hollys untimley passing was 26 years before i came around. but i listen to him almost everyday at work. i can still remember the first song of his i heard and that got me hooked. we were crusin main st in high school. we had the local oldies station on and they played "everyday". i was hooked from there. Buddy; this next beer is for you.

6. Everyday is such a cool song and that recording was not supposed to have been the recording, Buddy was showing the new guitatist the cords, the sound man ficked the switch and Jerry Alison (drums) was slapping his knee to keep time and the rest they say is history. JW

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

bryceaugustine, 26 T Ford RPU, irant, Camel toe kid, Tony, Model T1, Ricks Garage, Perfect 20, Bobw, 59 Kustom, 57 Ford/60 Thunderbird, and all the rest who I mentioned before and who took the time to share their thoughts & memories...

Sincere thanks ! This is what keeps us all Crusin' in the right direction...with the songs, and, the singers like, Buddy, Richie, and, J.P., who live-on everytime we hear their songs, or say their names.

In effect, we "bring 'em back to life" all-over again so they won't be forgotten !

8. It takes is someone to start something,so a HUGE THANKS must go to you Jonnie for creating this thread for us. Cheers, JW :)

9. eppster

eppster

I did some business with Bobby Vee in the early 90's and he was really a nice gentleman and a hell of a performer !

10. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Read all the way thru this and thought I would add something. Every year the first weekend in aug. the car club in clear lake does a Buddy Holly car show. I've been up to it the last 5 years and its a blast. The last 2 years they opened the surf on friday night with music. sat is music in the park after the show. Look up www.classcarclub.com for the info on it. Hope to see some of you there this year. Its a great time.

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

JW...

Sincere thanks for your kind words. I've been a little under the weather lately and haven't been able to Post much...but more will come soon !

binderbart...

Very cool ! What fun that would be to take part in. Thanks for your input...great addition to the Legend of all three of these great performers who died w-a-y to young.

For those who missed this in Feb. this important, historic bulletin AND all my Info attached to this Tribute Page can still be heard/viewed at this Link:

God bless & thanks for your thoughts during my absence here over the last month or so...hope to be "A-Okay" and Posting much more shortly !

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

To All My Friends Here At The H.A.M.B...

If you are new to the H.A.M.B., or, missed this before, this is a short but important piece of our R&R Crusin' History: It's a rare, historic news bulletin from February 3, 1959, broadcast shortly after the plane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and, the Big Bopper, crashed...56 years ago this week.

They were, and still are, an important part of the Rock & Roll/Rockabilly music that's an important part of our culture, so please share your thoughts & memories with us right here.

Here's the Link, like I said: this is short, but brings back so many memories to me too, as I was in high school when this occured and we were all shocked & stunned by what had happened: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  13. I was 12:eek: I remember hearing the news:(. I still listen to Buddy Holly while working in the garage.:cool:

14. This happened the month before I was born. I love playing there music in the Rock n Roll band (drums) im in, its an honour to be able to help it live on.
    Gone but NEVER forgotten. JW

15. Rob68

Rob68

16. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

If you get the chance check out the winter dance party reenactments that come around this time of year. Good show and music.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In a great fan of old music, and since I'm just turned thirty last October, I'm way to young to remember that fatal day.

But I'm by no means to young to understand what this means to a lot of people!
    And to me this is a sat event, in time that also made these three youngsters to instant and everlasting icons, that never left the top.
    There are people way younger that me, who knows ho they are, but never knew about Waylin jennings, Luther perkins or the Drifters.

Does this mean that I feel, it was a good thing they died? HELL NO!

I still listens to Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, The Beach Boys and Walther Guthrie on a regular basis.
    But there will always be a sacred place for those three lads in my record collection, and in my heart!

The Farther, The Son and the holly ghost court the last train for the coast.
    Long live The Big Bopper, Richie Valens and Buddy Holly!
    R.I.P.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  18. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

For this year, I dug up these two items from the Chicago Tribune. Before you grumble about "why aren't they on the front page?", know that (1) the Tribune was the more conservative of the local papers and (2) the front page was taken up by another plane crash - an airliner from O'Hare went into the East River in New York City killing 65 (including 17 Chicagoans).
    [​IMG]
    (Directly below this article ^^^ was an ad for the new Studebaker Lark.)

[​IMG]
    There's a typo in the above piece - it was Jimmy Clanton who signed on with Frankie Avalon (and Fabian). Unfortunately there were no ads for the Winter Dance Party at the Aragon in the Trib.

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

ct1932ford: Many thanks ! That's the way I get work done in my garage too !

26 T Ford RPU: I played drums for many years myself. R&R is a World Wide, Universal Language ! And, no matter how many times I listen to this Bulletin, it brings that thought right back to me. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Mad-Lad...

Would like to check-one out ! Haven't been in an area where one's been held...understand they are true to the history of the performers and the event.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sad day but, it is still great to listen to the fantastic creative music that they all made.

23. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

JJ...
    You are truly right. Thanks ! It was a true defining moment in R&R Radio History, as well as Music History. Those of us who "were there at the time" that their music was playing daily on our radios -the 50's- felt an "immediate connection" to what happened. And this short excerpt brings it all back again.
    www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  24. Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!! I almost had to beat a guy at work today. A couple of us were talking about "the day the music died" he asked if it Leonard skinner was on the same plane... F#ck me. Idiot.

volvobrynk, 26 T Ford RPU and Kevs56 like this.
  25. One of the most tragic events ever! Think what these very talented people would have done if......

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Who is this Leonard skinner you talk of ?

27. slack

slack

It's LYNYRD SKYNYRD and they are/were a primo southern rock band. In this part of the world you are issued the album at birth ;)

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I actually knew that, I was trying to make a point about, in the small forum and put next to these three lads, they ain't in the same league! Despite being good.
    It just proves that I should quit my day job, not for being funny that is

29. slack

slack

Oh. I'm slow but worth waitin for o_O

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Yeah, spell check isn't my friend. And I like Skynyrd more than the Big Bopper, but that would be one looooong plane crash to fit those different eras into.

volvobrynk likes this.