Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rain Gutter Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Feb 3, 2015.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

On the Model A's they originally had a rain gutter but they were a 2 piece, one portion snapped over the other.I don't want to go this route.I prefer one solid piece ; need about 10 ft total ,5 ft.for each side of the car. Rather than cut them off a junk car I would prefer to use new ones that I can tack weld on .Does anyone sell these? Gene

2. Texas Webb likes this.
  3. Someone on here makes them for coupes but can't remember his name.Mine on my fordor look to be 1 piece front to back.I'll probably have to make a jig to fab them.

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Try the repos for 40 Ford they make them. I hope this helps. Frank

5. Thanks for the link HRP,great work.I think I'm going to use real thin square tube bent/shaped to the body curves then cut off the top of the tubing.Might keep it from kinking.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  6. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The inside piece of the gutter was tacked to the wooden header running along each side inside. The gutter was then snapped onto the retainer. Because of the holes under the gutter, the retainer basically sealed that. It seems to me that welding the gutter the full length of the roof would cause a great deal of warping. I just installed the two piece gutter on my Tudor and it worked great. If you don't have the wood, you could always use small sheet metal screws. Here is where to get gutters.
    http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/catalogsearch/result/?q=rain+gutter&x=16&y=6

wuga

7. flthd31

flthd31

Square tubing is what I used. On a Model A, I think it's a better looking choice than round stock. I formed mine to fit the curve first. Then I cut the top section out with plasma with a plywood guide clamped to it. Then it was welded to the top section from the back side thru 1/4 inch holes. Not an exact duplicate but not too bad.

Attached Files:

8. UPAC has new gutter for their '32. Maybe easy to adapt, just have to see how costly it is.

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

10. That's exactly what I envisioned,thank you for the pictures,Webb.

11. J'LO.217

J'LO.217

Rob Paul here on the HAMB makes them. I used a set of his on my A because mine had been removed before I got it, they worked great. Look him up.

12. blazedogs

blazedogs

I'm Fairly new with this HAMB Websight, not familiar with all that it has to offer, and not good with the computer.I don't know how to locate or contact Rob Paul. Can someone help me contact him? Would appreciate it !

13. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yep, United Pacific sell their repro '32 gutters in a straight 12 foot length - they are steel, so you can plug-weld them on.

Here is a link to them on Summit racing ...
    http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/upd-b20001-12/overview/

14. flthd31

flthd31

Here's a link to his profile page:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/rob-paul.9563/

15. I bought 2 sets of coupe gutters for my Tudor. Welded them together and shaped them to the body then welded them on. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423071075.374002.jpg

ROCKER77 likes this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Sedans used the two piece type, coupes are one piece spot welded on. Snyder's has Model A coupe driprails available.

17. blazedogs

blazedogs

18. blazedogs

blazedogs

Thanks for the reply's. 100 dollars for 12 ft is too spendy for me . One suggestion though; use 3/4 inch thin wall steel sq tubing and plasma cut off one quarter of it length wise.I think that would look good on a coupe..

19. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I made mine from unistrut. looks great.

20. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I can set you up with some pre bent straight sections. Best to call Im not on the Hamb much. 920-819-8086

21. itsacool32

itsacool32

I'm doing a 31 model a and I bought new drip rails on ebay they look great