Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage find 30 A-Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ElJayM, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Yup, nothing wrong with bangers, I'm just tired of every time a guy finds a tidy model A, and posts it up on this Hot Rod site, the restorers all start telling him he should keep it basically stock.
    Its making me not want to open Model A threads.
    Imagine the grief the reverse would cause over on Fordbarn (I'm a member there).

Dick Stevens and volvobrynk like this.
  2. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Needs a SBC with aftermarket chrome valve covers. Kidding aside -- it is an awesome little coupe!

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I partially agree with you, but there is a long way from go back to stock, or stay hydraulic brake, hopped up banger, different stands and steelies.

But I see you point, and it ain't my call. But my 2cents comes with compliments, for free

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

That car is a perfect time capsule and is 100% in my book- what a beauty.I wouldn't go messing with it if I were you! The Ford Gods might not be pleased! All seriousness aside, your car, your girl, your life-do what makes you keep smiling like the trophy picture. ----Just don't change anythi....ah, crap, Mike , shut up! (and I'm NOT a restorer;I have my own Sawzall)

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That was a sweet find, you hit the lottery on that find. Now do with it what makes you happy, not what makes the masses happy, if that is the banger, so be it, if it is the hemi, go for it and enjoy. By the way, your girl friend sounds like she may be a keeper too. ;):cool::p:D:)

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  6. Kool49

Kool49

Sweet ride. I like it !

7. 54sled

54sled

Nice A ,was there with my t roadster,never got a chance to talk to ya.

8. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

IMG_20150202_213114.jpg Congrats... i chatted with ya at the world of wheels for a while.... love the car.....remindes me of mine.

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  9. Wardog

Wardog

Nice coupe! X2 on the wheel spacers. 40s are meant to bolt to a flat drum, the mechanical drums have a step in the middle so the outer of the wheel centre should be supported or you will flex it and end up chopping out you're bolt holes or cracking the centre. You also run out of length on the stock stud with the spacers. Not trying to rain on you're parade, I'm just trying to help. I've been through this myself and opted for some 17" wires.

10. I know the feeling !
    Great find - amazing condition, keep on having fun with it !

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

come over for a ride in my hopped up Model A 4 cylinder.You wont find it boring.

Attached Files:

12. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

13. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Check banger guys threads/clubs out, they can run the hell outa some & yours is so 40's period perfect, after you break it you can put machinist skills to work & make it more fun.

14. 55chevr

55chevr

The banger is okay but not really a hot rod. Needs at least a flathead V8

15. ElJayM

ElJayM

Wow! This post got much more attention than I figured it would. Thank you everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate all the comments. For now, the only changes that are going to be made to the car are to make it more streetable. I dont plan on doing any major transplants until my '40 GMC is done and that is a long ways away. As for my woman, she finds it ridiculous that I keep buying old cars and older motorcycles but she always bears a smile and cant wait to go for a ride and try them out herself, she's a keeper for sure.

Thanks man! I really was aiming for a 40's era build. For now the hemi and QC stay stashed til my 40 GMC is done, then i'll even start to think about heart surgery on the coupe.

Man, that car was bitchin! My brother, my dad and I were all over it all weekend.

Thanks man! Good talking to you at the show.

Wardog your coupe is seriously one of the reasons I kept the fenders on, I am madly in love with it.
    I ran into the issue when mounting up my steelies and quickly remedied that obstacle; chucked them in a lathe and finish welded what was left! I have a set of spacers for the car, just to run a set of '41 hubcaps, but spacers have always made me nervous so I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

I've never been big into clubs until I got this car for some reason, the banger guys are too cool and seriously helpful so I've been more interested in joining a club. Im beyond happy to hear you said "40's period perfect" because Everyone that went through my shop wanted to know why I was building the car the way I was and I had to explain to them I was after a 40's 'young guy on a budget' hotrod. It is always nice having a set of skills that can get you out of the jams that your own dumb ass puts yourself in :D

54sled and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Your car reminds me of my first car! A 31 banger. Kinda shiny black with mechanicals. One of the several cars I should have kept.
    Good job so far. Keep us posted..............

17. Wardog

Wardog

Thank you for the compliment, I am humbled. 41 caps are the reason I wanted to put steelies on my coupe. This is how mine sits today.

SC20141221-164702-1.jpg

bigorangetruck and waxhead like this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is an awesome mill! What's the carbs from?
    What about the head, looks special to me?
    What about bottom end? Is there a link to a build treat?

19. studebaker46

studebaker46

this car is seriously cool, but what is even cooler is knowing our sport/hobby is in good hands my hat is off to you young man.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. vintage_mpg

vintage_mpg

Great read, right here. Awesome car.

21. Great car! I really like it just like it is!

22. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Great home made trophy. I love it. Any chance you can post a photo of the original Henry title? That would be cool to see.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is too cool, I'd have to agree with those who say keep that one pretty much the way it is with the banger and a few more improvements and start another car for the Hemi and pieces that go with it just like you were going to do anyhow. It just looks like too much fun the way it is to make big changes with it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very cool, great find!

25. 54sled

54sled

Thanks LjayM,I'm sure I will catch up with you this summer,a lot of good shows this year coming up!

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

you are so very uninformed! When the flathead Ford V-8 was new, the hopped up 4 cylinder engines were much faster than the V-8s. It took years for the hotrodders to learn how to get more power out of a the V-8s. I will happily run my 4cyl against your flathead V-8

27. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That thing is super neat!

28. pumpman

pumpman

Great little car, nothin wrong with fenders and keepin it just the way it is. Love it man.

29. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

YES!! Nice find, enjoy the hell out of it!