Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oh, how I need to VENT!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac the Yankee, Feb 1, 2015.

1. I have one of those 1 1/2 stall "2 stall garages" with a small room in the back and have moved my blasting cabinet to that room to cut down on the dust in the garage (going to put the grinder and drill press in there are well and make it the dirty room).

Now, I need to vent the blasting cabinet, but would rather not cut a hole in the wall to set up a dryer vent if I can avoid it- can I just get a 25-30 foot 2" or 3" flexible hose and run it out the garage door, or do I need to do more of a direct vent?

2. jimpopper

jimpopper

How about a Shop Vac type dust collector?

primeisnotacrime likes this.
  3. Mac,I have mine set up with a vacuum system but you really need a vent also.

I did use a long hose to vent out the door of the shop before I finally broke down and put a dryer vent hole in the wall behind the cabinet. HRP

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. I have used a shop vac for years...................but it is noisy as hell.

5. I had a Delta woodworking dust collector I picked up at a garage sale for $100, bought some collector hoses from Menard's (Home Depot) worked great. Yeah it was noisy as hell too.

6. My neighbor did this. Has his air compressor and the dust collector in a insulated room under the stairs to attic storage.

7. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I have a shop vac with a hose out the window, works great to remove the dust from the room! But I have found that it clogs vac filters fast and it seems to use more blast media when I use it.

8. I got a dust collector from northern tool for sand blasting. And just put A breather in the blast cabinet. Mine is home made out of a home oil tank.

9. indyjps

indyjps

25 foot run on 3 or 4 inch is pretty far, don't think you'll get much performance. Try a panty hose over the cone the filter normally sits on, and a couple inches of water in the bottom of the tank. I've had some work great with the panty hose and others bog down, so pay attention the first time you use it. The panty hose is easy to wash out or blow out.

10. bct

bct

Clothes dryers are à great source for fans

11. Water dust trap for shop vac uses.
    Couple 5 gallon buckets and a few shop vac accessories
    image.jpg

daddylama and 69fury like this.
  12. keyster

keyster

13. stimpy

stimpy

the one that vic put up I one simular use for drywall dust and it works real good , the thing is you want to get a cyclonic action from the air coming in so it throws the dust to the side of the drum as the air turns the dust drops out , as for the 30 foot run you need a high velocity blower to move the dust and it will abrade the fan over time .

14. mustangsix

mustangsix

I saw one guy's garage where he had a small doggie door in the the lower panel of his garage door for venting his vac, exhaust and stand alone A/C.

grifcarnut likes this.
  15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Easy for me to say sitting here on my computer...but I would bite the bullet and do it right by gong thru the wall....not hard to do.....and you will be pleased.

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I thought this was going to be a bitch session?

17. We can easily turn it into one. :)

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

31Vicky, I have to come up your way when I visit my son in Cleveland. We can hash out about our Hemi's.

Dave

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A little play on words, nice change..I would do the dryer vent, there may be smaller sizes than 4"...I got a Lowe's bucket with a vacuum top attachment..Put a paper filter in and unscrewed the vacuum top, put a bead of silicone and put it back together which seals any air bypassing..

20. Yes, please do !

21. 69fury

69fury

31Vicky- maybe i'm overestimating the power of a shop vac- i envisioned making something similar, except having the interior tube submerged in the water to force the dirty air to bubble up and filter (only one bucket needed). It seems your design vents the interior tube in a position to blast the dust at the top of the water, but not bubble up through it. Is that how these are supposed to work? Is there a problem with bubbling it up, hookah style?

22. A dust bong works good too, but they loose water in a 5 gallon bucket. And some dust will ride the bubbles and get thru the water

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My old antique blaster was third hand when I got it many years ago to use in a boat prop repair shop, and for several years, until I got out of the prop business, I used it with Home Depot play sand because it was cheap. It had a purpose built dust extractor that worked pretty well with its own dust filter which exhausted into the shop after filtering. The additional dust wasn't much of a factor since there was a lot of dust from grinding on the props after weld build up of damaged prop blades! The sand dust actually was wearing away the blades in the dust extractor vacuum fan!
    Now the prop shop is gone, and I have decided to go back to glass beads in the blaster and change the dust extractor also.
    Bought and installed a dust extractor from Harbor Freight that also exhausts filtered air into the shop. If there's too much dust from this, then I'll try to figger out a way to put a collector over the exhaust and duct it thru the wall and outside. Been busy on other projects and actually still have a bit of work to do to the blaster cabinet before I try to use it again.

24. jazz1

jazz1

I hook up shop vac to sandblasting cabinet as well.. Today I picked up a large squirrel fan and motor. I am grinding out of season and can't stand the dust. On recommendation from welding shop just exhaust the air outdoors, makes sense. It's -34C today, not crazy about exhausting warm air out the window but seems the only solution unless I get charcoal filters for the fan...