Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage find 30 A-Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ElJayM, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ElJayM

ElJayM

So I've had my feet in a little of everything over my short years, but since I was a little kid I remember in my dads machine shop a picture of Milner leaning on his deuce coupe and since then all I ever wanted was a coupe. It took me 20 years but I finally scored one June of 2014. I work as a machinist right next to where I'm building my shop and I overheard one of the truck drivers talking about this old Mod A coupe e had stuffed in a garage right down the road, long story short I followed him home that day and bought it on the spot for a STEAL. The car was bought brand new in 1930 and was parked in 1961 when the owner passed away. His kids sold the car to the truck drivers uncle in 1999, his uncle did some quite interesting (shitty) work to the car, then he too passed on and now it's in my hands. I was the first person to register the car since '62 and I have the original Henry title with the car. It had 47k on the clock and the way it runs and feels, I don't disbelieve it to be original. When I pulled the motor, I discovered it to have a small cam, specs unknown, and some seemingly hand-done shaving on the heads to accommodate. I resurfaced the head in my vertical mill and put everything back together, and have racked miles on since. It's thrown me for quite a few curves and some serious issues, mostly electrical, but nothing we could figure out. I have a 331 Hemi for the car with a quick change and a BW T10. Don't let the pictures fool you, the car was a solid foundation but had some serious issues. For starters, we weren't sure about pulling it out of the garage it was stuffed in because the walls were made out of household doors and were braced just inches from the car. Once we got it into the light I was overrun with emotion, and haven't looked back since. So far I've had the car in complete pieces, body up off the frame, fenders off, motor and Trans out. Did a fresh radiator from Snyders, completely new wiring, general all over tune up and refresh, new seat (which bolted right in the stock brackets) relocated the battery, original date stamped 40 Ford steelies on Firestone deluxe champs. Much more to come!
    Here's a few pics of it in the garage, and first time getting it cleaned up once I got the body back on. Also the ridiculous colors the engine ended up painted somewhere down the line.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854504.671088.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854536.637906.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854574.201901.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854605.954868.jpg
    And now for some during pictures
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854729.804857.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854772.385089.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854794.801007.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854827.951739.jpg
    And some current state pictures from last weekend World of Wheels, where I took a trophy in the Hotrods category.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854899.368449.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854918.885165.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422854952.468451.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422855070.635094.jpg

kidcampbell71, pat59, ryan-o and 14 others like this.
  2. gas man

gas man
    from socal

Very nice Car. I wouldn't change a thing.

Bubba1955 and hipster like this.
  3. Nice car, you did well.

ElJayM likes this.
  4. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

very nice, looks awesome

ElJayM likes this.

5. daddylama

daddylama

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh..... yinz found gold right there! that's one damn fine looking garage find.

i had to get a tetanus shot after my best garage find. :D

ElJayM likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wow! Did that just clean up real well or did you repaint it? Bob

ElJayM likes this.
  7. Sure looks great in the pics.
    Hemi and quick change sound like good plan.

ElJayM likes this.
  8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Congratulations, your smile says it all.

Geoff aka whodaky

ElJayM and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Dang that's straight, and good looking, you could hop that banger up some more.
    Drop the front, and go baby go.

Looks good.

Bubba1955, ElJayM and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice coupe. Are you gonna keep the fenders or run without them??

ElJayM likes this.
  11. Man-O-Man, Love the car, love the story.and your trophy is way cool as well. Congrats on the find.

ElJayM and volvobrynk like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great find and car. I love to keep it like that however that Hemi, QC & T10 is tempting :D

ElJayM and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin good !

ElJayM likes this.
  14. ElJayM

ElJayM

Thanks everyone! It has been a long 7 months of mad dashing for the world of wheels and a lot of money spent, but it's all worth it to me. My girlfriend even loves the car, she drives it every chance she gets. I don't plan on hopping up the banger anymore, but with how often my plans change who knows! I considered fabbing an intake with a stromberg 94 but I'm still not sure on what to do. I did mandrel bend a 2-1/4" exhaust, sounds great for s little banger! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422885153.186694.jpg
    Also a shot of the seat I had laying in the storage of my shop, bolted right in. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422885194.085781.jpg

The guy who bought it in '99 had painted the car with lacquer that he had leftover from years past, so what you see is hand rubbed lacquer. I could have robbed a bank after I was done, I had no finger prints left! It took me about 8 days to get it to look like it does. The car isn't perfect, there's some very very small dings and scratches but I can almost guarantee there's nobody my age that drives an 85 year old car as much as I do so it doesn't really bother me!

Thanks. I plan on keeping the fenders, Ive really been diggin on fendered cars lately so I'm gonna keep them for now, I plan on a fenderless roadster in the future.

15. Man you really scored,great looking coupe!

16. Retro61

Retro61

Sweet Score!!

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Not that I'm trying to boss you around, but:

You got an era perfect little banger rod, with a look that is more true then most, like taking out of the late 40s, it looks like you bought it in a back lot.
    Ones in a life time.

And, more importantly, you got a girlfriend that not only loves to ride your rod (pun intended), but also loves to drive it!
    Take a step back, chicks that drives sticks, and unsyncro behind banger, them you keep!!!!
    Ones in a life time too!

Save your Hemi and QC for your no fenders roadster, and enjoy your banger!

Model A, best banger for your bucks, there is a T-shirt slogan right there.

PS
    A girl like that, you have to marry!! Universal rule in hot rodding. Just ask around, most guys will agree

18. That's a keeper......as it sits!!!

19. 117harv

117harv

WOW...perfect.

20. pitman

pitman

Wise words from the Brink of Volvo! :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. manyolcars

manyolcars

about 20 years ago I started on an original coupe and have driven it often and to 4 states. The best thing to do to an original car is a hi compression head. It allows you to run with traffic instead of slowing traffic. The next best thing is the 3 speed with overdrive. It shifts wonderfully and allows you to go fast while your engine is going slow Then of course you need Bendix brakes. Avoid the horrible Lockheed from the 39-48 Fords

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Your car is near perfect. If you want to use your Hemi in an A, get another and start building with it

volvobrynk and Bubba1955 like this.
  23. Nobey

Nobey

Your instincts and keen hearing have served you well. Congrats and have fun....

24. Cool old car and a cool young guy........great combination!

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. That is one sweet Model A,you have done well. HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  27. Banger Model As are boring, and belong on Fordbarn.
    Hot Rod that sucker. :D

54sled likes this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

Keep the 4 banger in that one!

29. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Great Story, Great Car, Great Trophy. Smile says it all! Good Luck with it.

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Despite you mostly being right, you are wrong on that one
    The banger rule the street and desert long before the famous Dane, put his final touch on his 21stud!!
    I know that Flathead are cool, but a bad donkey of a banger, will hold it's own, as good as any early flathead. But will be a hard stretch to match a newer flathead.