Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***Ringing in January 2015 Banger Meet ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Very cool! Any pictures of the front cover mount?

As far as using the Nash piece; it's period...my goal is to keep everything pre-WWII if possible, makes it more fun.

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Well you could always use one of these ...... they were made by S/W to run governors on stationary engines

tach drive.JPG

Some of you know I have a lot of old junk around

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. That's VERY cool! Where can I find one for my sprint car? $50 ?????

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Hitchhiker likes this.
  5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

But the generator that Bluto posted is a great set up. I bought a couple and they would work great. the gear ratio at the tach output, if I remember right, is set up so that all you have to do is put on a pulley that is half the size of the crank pulley.

7. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Happy Newyear
    Question to jkeesey and rallyl , what year Mallory are you using ? I have a model c that has the same base lock and mech advance as the stock "A"has . I can get it to run but can not get the idle down, also I still have the stock condencer on the mallory, is that wrong for 12 volts?

Skip

8. Thanks for the food for thought, CDO and Bluto.

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

"Where can I find one for my sprint car? $50 ?????"

You can find it at any swap meet.......... 30 years ago.

Big cars (sprint cars) almost never used a tach.

The correct condenser for all this go fast Fords is PETRONICS! Then you can toss all this other stuff away. I been running a Petronics setup un my 39 GMC since 1990 only failed once.

gmctach-d copy.JPG

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Crazydaddyo likes this.
  10. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Well I pulled the head today to have a look. Not to bad really, lots of carbon build up. Head gasket was fine but the compression loss in cyl one is a sticking valve. It doesn't open or close all the way. Pulled the side cover and it looks like the lifter doesn't travel as far up and down as the others. It could be a flat lobe or just stuck in the bore. I think ill go ahead and pull the motor. The cylinder walls look and feel awesome except for one dime size spot on #2 wall. I think a good cleaning and hone job is in order, maybe a 5 thou over bore if needed. That way I can see the cam and put all new bearings and gaskets. And being a hot rodder I'm already looking for a better head and down draft intake to put a 94 on.
    [​IMG]

11. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

12. A BONED

A BONED

Hey fellas,
    I've got a nice rebuilt model B with a yellow Winfield head that was running two Winfield S-AA-D carburettors on a nice 2x1 intake. I sold the intake and bought another which I thought at the time was better. It turns out the one I bought suits BB sized Winfields and not my little AA's. I wish I never sold my original intake. user55886_pic337592_1320185636.jpg
    Does anyone have, or does anyone know where I can get my hands on a 2x1 intake to suit my S-AA-D size Winfield Carbs. The throat size on my AA's is 1 1/8' and the intake flange stud spacing diagonally is 2 11/64'.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hot Rod 50....... spend your money on the engine not trick bits if you'd like to drive longer that 50 feet.

Maybe a body too?

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Not to disappoint you, but there aren't many bearings to change in a model A engine.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Craz....... this is the guy that couldn't figure out how to turn the motor............

16. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Let me give you guys a little back ground, I've been into cars and racing all my life. I do know how to turn a motor over. I'm in a shop space with limited tools at the moment and the ratchet on the end of the crank nut threw me. I was trying to get the starter to turn the motor and find out if it's good. It's not. I got a crank arm from a new friend and fellow hamber and cranked the motor. Did a compression check and nada. This is my first model A. The motor will come out and be built right to run for a long time. Hey Bluto. I have an O/T 4 cyl in a bantam that runs 7.40's at 178. You? I may have come of like a dummy in my first post. I was trying to be humble around people that know a shit ton more about a model A's than I do. But don't assume I don't know cars. I wouldn't show my ass on the hamb if I Didn't.

Dustin

17. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

That's an amazing car bluto. I wouldn't know my ass the fuel pump on that thing. I don't slot car race yet but I am thinking about it. Looks kinda fun. I love engines and learning about them so i tend ask dumb questions sometimes without enough back ground info for you guys.

Looking forward to getting this engine running. And yes it will have a body.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  18. Wardog

Wardog

Has anyone put a road draft tube on a banger like this one? My banger tends to breathe oil out of the filler cap when I sit on the highway and I'm wondering if a drain like this may help redirect it down instead of all over the starter.
    Also anyone who has had trouble with a standard exhaust clamp you may like my solution, A triclover clamp for stainless food pipe work.

image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  19. That one looks long overdue for a complete, and I mean COMPLETE, overhaul!

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

This is a photo of 1/2 our workshop ....... on there right is our house ..... arched glass windows are the entrance to our winter garden. These allow us to roll a car in and out of the house to work on it too. People walk in and are surprised to see a car or the Ardun sitting inside. They never dream we built the house with that in mind. We tore down a friends old house to get the brick so the house and workshop sort match

DSC06561.JPG

Crazydaddyo, fourd and Winzy like this.
  21. ^^^^^^WOW! Very nice! Like the architecture, especially the arched windows and doors.

22. Wow! That's bitch'n, Jim! Put some coffee on, we'll be right over! Or, are you and Sophie in LB?

23. Wardog

Wardog

You're house look like a face with it's mouth open wide.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Wardog..... your only looking at a bit of the house.
    Here's the view from the shop.

garden2.JPG

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  25. Reminds me of my Tante (Aunt) Trauta's home in Michelstadt!

26. Wardog

Wardog

I knew it would only be because of the way that one photo was taken, it's a beautiful house.

27. Current project, diamond A, have replaced valves and exhaust seats stock size exhausts intakes 1.700 intake pocket under seat 1.562. Have a set of Egge's solid skirt pistons that I bought for a different engine about 95 0r 96 that I will prolly set up with 3 or 3.5 clearance. Have a J Brierley Winfield SU1R that I bought about the same time. Gonna run the babbit as it doesn't look too bad .013 under rodsandmains. Have a choice , up or down Winfield BB to go with Winfield Yellow head. IMG_0493.JPG Will put in RPU that wife will use to get the mail gotta go 3/4 mile

28. blgitn

blgitn

What will you use for a crankshaft?

29. I will use.a stock model A that came with the engine or rather was in the engine. The only modification will be pressure to center main. I doubt this engine will go 200 miles.a year so don't see the need to add counter balance weights though I do have set laying here. I'm 79 now so I will leave this for someone else to fix. Been there and done that and didn't even get the T shirt do have one from Antique Nats that says winner on it though !!

30. Jiminy

Jiminy