Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Dick!

Yep,already used many of Kiwi Kev's tricks..see my latest post.

Thanks ss34!..

2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg Borrowing some more tricks from Kiwi Kev's chop top thread. If you are going to chop something do yourself a favor a read his thread!I'd be lost without it! The "A" pillars were tacked together just to hold the roof shape while I was working on the cowl.It was only temporary as I knew I was going to cut the roof open to re-attach the inner roof supports.I cut a piece from the extra roof parts that had the contour I needed. A little tweaking was all that was needed to get the curve to follow the roofline. Scribed the roof and removed the offending metal. Once removed,I had access to the inner roof support that was cut when I leaned the pillars back.I used a piece of 1/8 inch welding rod to span the gap and give the repair some strength. Welded it all together and bolted the roof wood back in place. I used another piece of welding rod to span the gap in the rolled outer edge. This gave a solid place to weld the roof filler piece to.Small tacks and smoothing give it a decent overall appearance. More finish work will be needed and I could probably get away with no lead or filler on the roof.

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  3. Very nice work that roof line looks perfect if I wasn't really looking forward to my four door family cruiser I would consider this. Thank you for the inspiration as I build mine Jim

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Jim,have fun building your family cruiser!

5. You're on a roll now,
    Looking great

6. Looks great! I've used the welding rod trick before to span un-ideal gaps.... Works like a charm!

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 013 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 018 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 024 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 025 (Small).jpg Working on the DS roof above the A pillar.This side was a little worse in condition due to some rust underneath and in the door opening ..Like the PS, I fabricated a new top piece first by reshaping a piece of the leftover 33 roof. Once I had all the contours correct,I scribed the roof and cut it out. Then I re-attached the inner supports,adding some filler pieces for added strength and reinstalled the wood support. Once the roof was secure,I cut away the rusty inner door opening after taking carefully measurements.Using another piece of original 33 metal,I hand fabbed the inner piece. First turning a 90 degree bend and then using the shrinker to replicate the curve of the door opening. Once I had the shape I wanted,I placed it in position and scribed where this piece met the roof edge. Leaving 1/8th" extra,I trimmed the piece and rolled the edge using a pair of dykes and a hammer/dolly.Used a piece of 1/8th inch weldeing rod to add support where the roof and the rolled edge met and a solid place to join the two pieces together. Some more welding and finish work will be done before I use some lead on the A pillars to smooth them out.

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  8. rexrogers

rexrogers

I like the way it is turning out the roof line is going to look great

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks 31! It coming together! Weekend is here,snow on the ground theres nothing to do but get into the shop and get this roof done!

Yeah Skater all the little tricks I've gleaned off the hamb help ALOT!

Thanks rexrogers!

10. Once again I don't have much to say except for, looks great!!

Sent from my flip phone.

11. BEERMAN67

BEERMAN67

Looks great, really like the chop

12. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks guys!

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 012 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 013 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg Started getting the rear roof section fitted.I wanted the rear of the roof to angle forward to more closely match a real 5 window. Had to pie cut the C pillars to achieve this because the sedan roof is almost straight up in the window area and the upper radius didn't look right at all.I started forming some pieces to fill the gaps on the english wheel. I then turned to making the rear window opening.Took out 4-1/2" which gave a decent window size so its kinda functional.After cutting the lower part off,I narrowed it 3/4".This made it easier to get the top radius to meet the lower ones. I sliced it along the outer edge and the made two relief cuts to get the ends to meet with a nice inside radius.

Nailhead A-V8 and thunderbirdesq like this.
  14. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

I like the profile your getting in the first pic

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Koolkat! I keep looking at it and thinking it might need some more tweaking but its getting close.

16. Yep, pic 1 is "pert-in-ear" perfect :)

Long ago I worked under a guy who used to tell me that's "pert-in-ear" perfect when I did a good job. He was saying pretty near perfect with a deep Appalachian draw and that's the way it sounded to me.

You might find splitting it in 3 places and spreading out the gaps smooths it ever so slightly more but that's a whole lotta fucking around for something that's going to get mudded any way.

17. Roof has nice flow, and the rear window looks good as well!!

18. Nice work. Good on ya for keeping at it.

19. This just keeps looking better I agree the A pillar roof line is perfect! the back window is looking really good love where you are going with this build. Jim

20. pumpman

pumpman

Man, you're all over that thing like a bad suit! Nice work man, very impressive.

21. ken1939

ken1939

Its a shame you will cover all that excellent work with paint :)
    Super job, pleasure to watch your work unfold.

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Never heard that expression before but I'll take it as a compliment! I got the look I wanted without adding unecessary cuts and welding.Centralizing the work in one area (as much as possible) makes for less work I my opinion..I hammered and dolly some of the area to remove part of the "hump" which helped too My next pics will show how it came out. If I decide to polish this turd and put paint on it it'll get lead! No plastic "mudd"!

Thanks much Laidout!

Thanks lowcoe!..You keep chipping away on your 36 too!

23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The expression pert'n near perfect was one I remember from my childhood, translates to nearly, or almost perfect. and yes that is, pert'n near perfect. ;)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I appreciate the compliments,Thanks Jim!

Ha ha! Thanks Pumpman.

Thank you Ken.. jury is still out if it'll get paint..The 1/4's would need ALOT of mud to make them paint ready.

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg Got some of the roof kinks worked out today.. Took a piece of the leftover roof pieces from the sedan cut it in half and worked them on my cheapie HF english wheel. Rolled a nice radii in them and then curved to meet the profile. Once I was happy with the contours the excess was trimmed off.Scribed a cut line on the roof and carefully removed the excess. Little sanding and some dollying and tack welded into place.

brEad, Nailhead A-V8 and lowcoe like this.
  26. Thanks for posting gave me something to do during halftime!!! nice work on the roof I really enjoy following this build! Jim

27. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

great work fordgasser1,
    i never get tired of your updates ...

28. She's turning out nice! You will have a car you can be very proud of! It's fun following along.

29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Right on Jim! I went back out in the shop during halftime! Ha ha! Thanks again!

Thanks Mark!

Glad you like it Kiwi Kev! Let me take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your top chopping technique here on the Hamb. As you can see I borrowed a lot from you and without your threads I would never have gotten this far! So,Thank You Kev!

30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Learn something new everyday,thanks DS!