Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Panel Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jan 30, 2015.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally I started to weld and build my next hot rod Project, 1940 ford panel delivery. All autumn and firts winter months are gone fast and all that time I have worked with my customers hot rods and own blower flathead engine Project. Now it was last time to push this panel Project on, if want to get it ready before summer.

I bought car from California. Originally its from Pennysylvania. Looks good, but needs to weld little there, little here. Floorpanels is biggest rost, but I have new panels waiting for.
    Car has been lowered with monoleafs. I send tranny for rebuilding in CA before shipping and also all cromes are fixed + recromed in Los Angeles. Engine is 8BA, original rear etc etc. McCulloch M-40 supercharger is waiting for this Project.

Seat was missing but found 1936 cabriolet sofa from Sweden. Good patin for this car.
    Can You tell me what kind of wall has been bethween cabin and "stuff cabin".?

Aulis
    Finland

Attached Files:

Scooterville and rockyfarmer like this.
  2. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Man that thing is sweet. Would make a perfect bike hauler.

3. What a great delivery.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thats a nice straight un molested panel van!

What is the plan for paint? Black or maroon like the dash?

Keep at it, lad.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Men!

I have think something very dark brown + matt finnish.
    Wheels cream clossy

Straips, deluxe hub caps w/o beauty rims,...

Aulis

czuch and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Very cool mate!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Great project, like where you're going with this.
    Be sure and keep us updated on your progress.
    Good luck.

8. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Man I love these trucks and yours is looking sweet

9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.

Today I welded driverside cowl and inner fender.

Next are floors panels, driver side door,.... All fenders are very knotty and something to weld, but not so bad. Hammer and more hammer, englishwheel and little heating.

There is coming also Fulton sunvisor (I do not know right word for that, but You know what I mean) from USA.
    If it looks good, I bolt it on.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. If you're asking what seperated the cabin from the cargo area, I really don't know for a fact. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was just plywood, or maybe even some kind of heavy fiber board. Could have even had a small plastic window in it to at least give a view out thru the back door windows. Or maybe a panel on each side behind the seats with a small walk-thru area in between to get to the cargo area from the front. But this is all guesswork on my part... :rolleyes:

11. BJR

BJR

If ever a car needed to be chopped this is it! Nice build keep it coming.

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, cargo area . Maybe I make Plywood wall and it must be easy to lift out.

"elephant rod". I know its high and huge. its so ugly,......that I like it.
    Aulis

13. Canuck

Canuck

Might not apply to 40s, but any 50s panels that I used didn't have any panel between the driver and rear. Any that did were added by the owners after purchase.

Canuck

clem and Hnstray like this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Canuck.
    I agree. I did not find any brackets. I need to make lightweight, easy lift off panel.
    Good thing is that there is very much free space and panel delivery is so simple model.

Aulis

15. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That's a really cool project!

16. 38nailhead

38nailhead
    from England

No no no no no...they look awful chopped...just my opinion.

I have a big soft spot for panels

The G00SE and volvobrynk like this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Too big job to chop this car and I like that old style.
    I think first spotlights etc, but I want to keep it clean.

and many times chop top cars look "pancake" ,..... if all are not succeed 100%.

One of those old "rod and custom legends" said: " Dare to be different, but keep it simple".
    I belive him.

Aulis

18. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Cool project, panel trucks didn't have a divider between the cabin and cargo area. That's more of a hearse/ambulance thing.

19. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Nice panel.Nothing nicer than a dropped ,stock bodied panel.subscribed.

20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Men.

I have hot rod shop here Middle-Finland. Before I was going to sell hot rod parts in Swapmeets (Sweden), I was used my dailycar + small closed trailer. Next summer I go with my 4y old Oscar son and we have new vehicle,...1940 panel delivery were we load all stuff. In the swapmeet we can sleep inside after unloaded stuff,...

We do not have many 1939-45 pick up´s , panel deliveries here, because it was II WW . All money and another resources were used to keep Russia out from our country. After war Finland was developing country and all money were used to raise country up and develop it.

This is first hot rod I do not lift body from frame. There is original black colour on frame and all there under car is nothing problems. Nice patin under car and I leave patin to the Cargo cabin too.
    AULIS

21. Hey Aulis, nice find and a PERFECT project/car for you to use for your business and for fun! If you need anything from the States, let me know - be happy to run it down for you. You're one of the few 'Finns' that I know on the HAMB, so I guess we better stick together!

Take care,
    B&S

harpo1313 likes this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great project that panel truck

23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Just to let you know, I might have missed it, but your hood is a 41. At least the chrome 'nose' is a '41. And as mentioned, nothing between seat and cargo area. The only body change to the Panel Trucks that helps them out is the removal of the spare tyre holder on the body, other than that - Drive it!

24. Please don't even think about it,that is one of the coolest panels ever built.

Please keep us posted on the build! HRP

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I believe the reason he asked about the "rear firewall" is that most van, had to have one, for safety reasons, so you wouldn't get the full $hitload put on you in case of hard breaking!

We are different over here. And yet the same

And don't you dare chop it!!!! That is beautiful, just the way it is. Shape wise, needs paint.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    lothiandon1940 and DenK like this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks men.
    I keep it like it is and I like that high side profil. Real hippo rod (river horse rod), heh!,...

I bought car 7-8months ago and I have had time to think how I built it. I like more and more early style hot rods and want to keep this like that.

Your right, car has 1941 nose. Is it possible that they have installed to same late 1940 panel deliverys 1941 hood, grill? Everywhere around body and inside of hood + fenders have original green color.
    Looks that all those parts have been originelly in this car.

Here one picture McCulloch M-40 supercharger , which is coming from USA after 1-2week.
    Little problem with drivegears, but I know Company who is make me new gears reasonable price.
    They already made me Italmeccanica gears 3pair 2years ago and have good 75years experience gears and gearboxes.

Tomorrow continue welding new floorpanels.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  27. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Very Nice truck, You list it as a '40 and maybe the title says that. I had a '41 PU with that same hood , bull nose, Chrome "Ford" side I.D. plates on the back of the hood and cat's wiskers. I had the holes welded up and used re-pro Drakes chrome for a 1940 pickup as they were much less expensive than replating the 41 Pieces.
    good luck with the project!

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The trucks were made in 1941 with the small changes of the hood nose (the 41 sedan deliveries had a modified shorter version of the nose) and some dash chrome. The bodies are the same as they were carry overs from the 40 as Ford was gearing up for changes in '42, when they carried the bodies but changed the suspension and front clip. And the grill was the same as a 40 truck, three pieces.

29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You for all information.

Yes, I have ordered those plates from Drake and small stuff + gaskets from mac´s.

Floorpanels are prewelded. Not so good quality, but thats normal,..... mostly those sheet metals are "semiproducts".

Attached Files:

30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Some new pics 4-5.Feb
    9hours sweat, hammer, heat, hammer, englishwheel,....and running board is ready.
    I do not know what is runningboards materiall thickness, but its like "tank".

Aulis

Attached Files:

The G00SE and volvobrynk like this.