Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Ugliest Kustoms of the 50s

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

Indeed!
    Thanks for bringing this thread back. It seems a lot of custom guys bailed, but ugly isn't necessarilly hating!
    Times change. Sometimes art is about beauty, sometimes about challenging the status quo.
    Picassso once said that a good painting should be bristling with razor blades!

(Edit: Long live the Clash!)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Yeah, so far this is one of my faves, lets see if we can get a response! :)

3. actually beautiful.jpg
    I happen to think this is quite beautiful, customizing is an art some things are just more abstract.
    This photo is my desktop background now :)

4. Slopok

Slopok

Just think...if it weren't for ugliness there'd be no beauty.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  5. Manny....I've always loved this car. I've used this image often for my own Wallpaper. I saw the car in person at the 1961 Milwaukee Autorama and it blew me away. I'm glad we share good taste....:) Centurion9

MannyK likes this.
  6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Seeing as this thread is alive again,

Quick Photoshop; by no means perfect but a lot better. It can be fixed from here.
    turkeyrun merc.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  7. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Dang, the Matador is one of the most beautiful cars ever. I struggle to see it any other way.
    I also think people confuse ugly for uncool. The Xsonic is totally ugly, but so totally COOL! Same with the thunderflite. Super space age goofy and oddball ugly, but freakin AWESOME!

8. DrJ

DrJ

9. harleyddad

harleyddad

10. Don West

Don West

There were some TRULY GAHSTLY customs created as guy's tried to out do each other!

11. [​IMG]

I want to buy this so I can preserve the patina.

12. DrJ

DrJ

You guys do realize that even if they were a lot of work, some of these cars were built as a total joke in the first place?

13. DrJ

DrJ

That was what is referred to as the "(New) Jersey Droop" and you ruined it! ;) B|

Ned Ludd likes this.
  14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

The car isnt as ugly as how close those two guys are sitting to eachother. Lol

Spoggie likes this.
  15. jerseymike

jerseymike

i rarely post here anymore because of threads like this. the hamb is a hot rod site (and an excellant one) not a customs site. popular opinion here seems to be doing absolutely no body customizing but instead air bagging and adding white walls means they "built" a custom. no builder hits a home run everytime but this thread mentions barris, bailon, maratta, winfield, hines, cushenberry and others all famous for building world famous, award winning, magazine quality customs and being bashed by people famous for nothing!

Busted Knuckles likes this.
  16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

HOT RODS ONLY?

REALLY?

17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Well it's easy to see why customs almost died in the late 50's and early 60's. people were making changes to see who could hang the most crap on then and not about style. The shows awarded points on the number of changes. I have a mild custom 60 Thunderbird that I feel is the 60's style in most towns, not a show car but cleaned up the stock lines. There were lots of lowered nosed and decked cars around in the mid 60's but they lost popularity when the muscle cars came out.

Attached Files:

18. birdman1

birdman1

opinions are like as-holes, everybody has one!!

19. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

how on earth can fixing something make it look worse??? why????

20. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

It's Kinda cute, If you can look past the ugly! ;)

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Point is, ugly isn't reserved for customs, people have built ugly hot rods and ugly street rods too. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder same as beauty is, I am the same as everyone else on here, I have my thoughts on what looks good and what I find ugly and that is a part of what makes being a car enthusiast so much fun. When I go to a car show I walk past some cars to look at what interests me and I know others walk past what I want to look at to look at the cars I walked past. It all drives our sport and keeps it alive and fun, just like the controversy over whether or not to hot rod or to restore old cars.

22. joemac05

joemac05

This is truly a car that should be resurrected. :) That took some imagination to create.... The Nash grill is the crowning touch. Looks better here that it did on a Nash.... :D. Looks like it was quite well done in it's day. Certainly a one of a kind.

23. joemac05

joemac05

I am from that era and loved the custom cars in the beginning, had a mild custom myself. I never could understand the upholstery inside the fender wells, for any reason. Like any other fashion... they just kept escalating until they self destructed.

24. Zerk

Zerk

I'm trying to figure out what could save that poor beast, and the part I hate the most is the Caddy rear fenders/fins. Buick rears would make the project almost doable. It's not destined to be a tasteful custom, but at least it doesn't have to be lye in your eye.

25. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

the worst part of that car to me, is the '64/5 fioo hood badge int the center of an otherwise clean nose job. Well, that and the rest of it....

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm not nearly done yet, Maverick! :)

Getting somewhere?
    turkeyrun merc 2.jpg

Of course it isn't going to look like every other chopped '51 Merc custom, but where's the fun if it did?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WTF?!? How come I didn't get the memo?!! Does this mean all the good kustoms are gonna get erased?:eek:

Peanut 1959 and Maverick Daddy like this.
  28. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'm Doin my best to keep this alive, but y'all gotta help me!...

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is important to know that even the best customizers did not hit it out of the park every time. You try something new, it works, wow what a genius. If it doesn't, well tomorrow we try something else.

The only man that never made a mistake, never made nothing. So have the courage to try something new, knowing that if it doesn't work it isn't the end of the world.

30. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

10649752_10204900946140796_7651724813005475657_n.jpg Frankie47 posted these on SITTING AND ROTTING. but it fits here, I really like this one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    58cchevy likes this.