Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Screws heads that look like a apple core.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Jan 30, 2015.

1. scoop

scoop

Working on my 50 Chevy fleetline,these Chevys had these screws heads that look like apple cores what do they call these?I want to buy a set of screwdrivers for these.

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

3. They are called Clutch type

4. "Clutch head" screws. Google it and find lots of examples.

5. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fail to see the resemblance.

6. We use to call them dog bone but yeah clutch head is the correct term. HRP

7. I do.... apple core.jpg

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My screw heads usually look like whole apples.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    gas & guns, 59Apachegail and lawman like this.
  9. When you get the right clutch head tool, and it still strips out, just use a thin cutoff wheel to cut a straight line across the head. Use a large straight blade screwdriver and the screw will come out.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

These must be great, they are advertised on TV!

Any good for the small stuff?

[​IMG]

11. bubba55

bubba55

Dang-it ya'll - squirrel & 31Dodger - that made me laugh - I think it's a 3/16" size - got one out in the garage if you need correct size Scoop
    mike

12. fortynut

fortynut

(1.) Best way to get them out is to put a nut on top and with a MIG welder spot it to the head of the screw. While it's hot, stick a candle next to the top so gravity and capillary action will cause the parafin to lubricate the screw. When cool remove the screw and replace with stainless button head Allen type that is easier to find tools to deal with and won't be a pain-in-the-ass forever (if you use anti-seize when installing). Besides, stainless looks miles and smiles better. (2.) Another way is to buy a hammer driver and the correct size and type bits, only to find after much struggling and a lot of cursing, because of the design this just wallows the head out. When this happens, refer to (1.)

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

McMaster-Carr has clutch head drivers.

14. oh cripes, just stick a straight blade screwdriver in there that fits. :)

15. What pat59 said....

17. Do not waste your money on this junk ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I had to open this thread just to see what the heck you were talking about. Funny.

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Many Holley 4V secondary metering plates are held on by six of them. Snap-on (and others) sell a ratchet wrench bit attachment to remove them.

20. I've heard these referred to with many descriptions, but apple core is a first for me.

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My 51 Ad still has most of those clutch head screws. The only ones missing are the ones for the door striker and the transmission cover. I like them and reuse them because of the originality and because they are not as common as they once were.

22. noboD

noboD

The bad thing about real clutch head screws is they are knurled under the head. The serations dig in when installed and don't want to let go. That's why the factory used them, but it makes them a bitch to get out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

Ahh.. this made me think of being a kid again, I lived in a mobile home and theses things were everywhere. I would accidentally drop things down the floor registers and never had the correct tool to remove the screws.

24. 55Belairman

55Belairman

That's funny!

25. scoop

scoop

Thanks everybody.Got a few laughs too.

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a first. I've heard those described in a lot of different ways, but never as an "apple core". I knew what you meant before I opened it ! Good one.

27. They're an option on many military spec fasteners.

28. I've never heard apple core to describe them either, but I knew what the OP was talking about before I opened the thread. (and I knew they'd be on a chevy also.

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I always called them figure eight screws, and sears also carried the screwdriver for them........

30. stimpy

stimpy

we used fine valve grinding compound or clgate toothpaste on the bit like when you take off a phillips head so the screw driver catches the edges by filling in the gaps and the abrasive action of the paste . also wacking them with a ball pein before you try to loosen them helps break the bite too , I remove and replace them with torx or allen buttons . my haters are the square head drive ones