Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1919 to 1923 Essex four cylinder engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Six Ball, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got a chance to examine my frame more closely and found that it is a four cylinder frame, '23 or earlier. That is cool. The front mounts match my engine perfectly. The rear on the frame was a plate but where the plate mounts will make it easy to make pads. So I'm guessing it is a '22 or '23. I need to go back where I got it. The guy said there might be some sheet metal in a big pile we didn't have time to go through. I did see a '25-'26 Chevy open car cowl in there.
    CORRECTION: It is a later frame. That must have been one little six cylinder.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Today I got the information that David sent and it is really great detail on Essex 4 cylinders. Bearing sizes, valve spring seat tension, carb adjustments, cam timing degrees........ There is a lot that I did not have before that will help in getting my engine running. I also just talked to my friend who is involved with the North West Speedster club and got him stoked on an Essex build. He has tons of early stuff. He was the source of the frame, hood and radiator shell for my '26 Chevy roadster project. It looks like I my be building them both at the same time. Thank you David!!!

rod1 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Kume

Kume

This is an exciting build Six Ball. Would love to see some picks of the head combustion chamber when you get that head off. Four port exhaust looks promising - I wonder what can be done with the in head inlet manifold.

Six Ball likes this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Kume, Here are a couple of inside shots I found on another site. I don't have one of the head. I assume that it is flat like many of this period were. I think the intake valve is over the cylinder. The CR is only 4.5 to 1. I need to find this site again and see if I can contact the ones who were working on this one. From the info I got today the bottom end is stout. The main caps fit way into the surrounding massive crankcase and have to be pulled with a slide hammer type tool. I'll try to down load what David sent me so I can post some of it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    Outback, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  5. Kume

Kume

Those exhaust ports look enormous. I started collecting parallel Essex chassis parts for a dirt tracker but could never find a motor - a few turned up on oz ebay but freight cost ruled them out. You might increase the cr with durant conrods or similar. Carburation could be the key to making this work. what is the bore and stroke?

Attached Files:

Six Ball and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Kume

Kume

essex chassis done right Sprint Car 2014 001.jpg

Outback, GuyW, rmcroadster and 4 others like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is nice, I want a two seater and that may take away from the great parallel frame some. I like the 3 spring set up. Do you have more pictures of this chassis? I think I'm going to run out of free parts when I get to the wheels. :(
    The bore is 3 3/8" (3.375) Stroke is 5" 178.9 CI 55HP @ 2,800RPM Steel crank with counter balances
    From David's info his dad may have used Chrysler pistons. I'd like to make it run as is first while keeping an eye out for another engine to play with.:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

When will we see the first update-pictures?

Six Ball and jdownunder like this.
  9. david38rc

david38rc

Glad that the info was helpful, will pass along more as I get it. My brother has the speedster chassis assembled, but encountered some problems starting the engine and somehow ended up with a cracked head!! I'm going to help him clean his garage and go through some parts when he has time. I'll take some pictures and pass them along.
    I'm excited about your build and can't wait to see the parts come together!!

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

As soon s I get my camera working again. :(

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

David I am excited too and the things you sent have added to it. Thanks for sending it both in print and scanned on the CD. If your brother needs help repairing the head post it here and lets see what help we can be. I'll also try to get some new pictures posted too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    volvobrynk likes this.
  12. tombia

tombia
    from Iowa

The fellow one the west coast was running a 22 Essex and sent me a picture of him all crossed up in a turn at Monterey, said he was clocked at 119mph on the straight away. Ran it at 4500 rpm, stock oiling system. I restored a 1919 8 years ago that ran from China to Paris, 6800 miles,, also built a 1920 touring for a fellow in Minn. There is a fellow in Calif who has several, Check with someone in the Cal. Het club for his name. They are real thumpers.

GuyW and Six Ball like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I just got another piece today. It is the three control knobs on the left side of the dash that control the louvers on the radiator shell, the choke, and carb adjustment. I guess I'm going to have to join the HET club to get access to that information. Just joining the bulletin board doesn't seem to do it.
    119 mph! I have read that the stock splash oiling system was surprisingly efficient. I'd like to know moer about that car.

14. tombia

tombia
    from Iowa

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I bit the bullet and joined the HET club. It is the hardest site to use I've ever been on. Not much comes up in the searches I've done.

16. tombia

tombia
    from Iowa

Good luck with the HET, Mostly stepdown interest, Here is a picture of the last of the ESSEX series, 1933 Essex Terraplane 8. Called straight Terraplane after that. Does your engine have a roller cam?

Six Ball likes this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Roller cam? I don't think so. I haven't looked in there yet. I want more to work with before I open it up. I just sent emails to the guys you recommended. Thanks!

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi SixBall.Looks like you have your work cut out for you.Keep us updated on progress.My Father drove a few of those beauties back in the day when he was doing chauffer work after the war.The FIRST world war,that is.He spoke well of them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Six Ball likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yep, Slow going but that's normal for me. :confused:

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here are the latest additions to the Essex Pile. The control knobs are '20 work the cooling louvers on the Radiator shell. The frame os '19 -'23 and not as big as it looks. The shell is later it should have a flat where the top and sides meet but it is in great shape for it's age. The emblem is really nice. The front springs look to be the same or close to Chevy. I may run a Chevy front end that way I can use my 19' Chevy wire wheels. It reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.
    CORRECTION" I have learned that the frame is newer, not sure how much.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Clark and volvobrynk like this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I bet you are thinkin' of "one piece ad the time"?

But this makes me think of "the night Hank Williams came to town".
    Because like this threat, It's one of my favorites!

Six Ball likes this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, I'm having fun with it. Hank Williams is a favorite of mine, all 3 of them!:)
    I don't know what this is but I like the rear suspension. This would let me stay with parallel leafs and cut 17" off of the rear of the frame that is only there to hang the springs. Another option would be going with a 3 springer design.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. david38rc

david38rc

Good to see your parts pile getting bigger. I'm still waiting to receive pictures of dads car, but I did get some to tease you with.......

. 1919 Essex Speedster Special 2a.jpg

..... 1919 Essex speedster special a.jpg
    My dad had the above picture in his garage for as long as I can remember, guess it was his inspiration!!
    Car was factory built for a company executive.

1920 essex racer.jpg

1920 Essex Speedster 1 a.jpg

1920 Essex speedster.jpg

1922 Essex Red k.jpg

1922 Essex Red l.jpg

1922 Essex red m.jpg

Outback, Six Ball and kiwijeff like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

David, I'm still reading and rereading the things you sent. I thank you for sharing your dad's information. The 3rd picture is where I want to be. :) You do know that there is a fine line these days between teasing and bullying? :eek: In the last pictures the four brass things are oilers for the rockers and maybe breathers. two of mine are broken. Thanks for the great steering wheel picture. i know what i'm looking for. Thanks for it all!:)

25. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Try this:

http://www.hetclub.org/

It is the old classicar.com site, now under a new name. It is associated with the HET Club, but one does not have to be amember of the Club to post.

Lots of information available and very friendly!!

Six Ball likes this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Bigboy308, thanks. I joined the HET club but am still having trouble finding things on the site. Even the thread I started doesn't come up in my Essex searches. I'll just keep at it until I figure the site out. The two forums confuse me and the classicar.com seems to be something else now.:confused:

27. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Kleinbike and tombia mentioned an ESSEX racer an Monterey and Sears Point Raceways. From their info, I'm sure that the racer was one Fred Huddleston, from the Sacramento Area. Unfortunately, Fred passed away last year.
    Fred was quite colorful and raced his ESSEX hard and often. He was quite aggressive on the racetrack and If I recall, was "set down" after one of the Monterey races.

Pix are from the 1993 HET National Meet hels in Sacramento. Fred's car is the Number 2, other car is from another member of the NorCal HET Club. It was also displayed at the National Auto Museum in Reno, Nevada. Both cars have been raced at the Monterey Historics.

I have also included a picture of Fred in his Best "Barney Oldfield" guise!!

Attached Files:

Six Ball and kiwijeff like this.
  28. I asked ol Mo about his 23, and we will go take some pics in next few weeks.
    An expert on Hudsons , lives at the top of my Island, (Wakefield Nelson) and if you don't have his details, and want them, let me know.
    Another little thing with the Hudson brand, is the factory boat tail Speedsters, were called Speedabouts.

Six Ball likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Bigboy, Thanks for the pictures and information. Fred Huddleston's name is one that Tombia sent to me. I am sorry to hear that he is gone. It seems we have lost someone who knew how to make an Essex 4 haul ass. I hope he shared his expertise with someone. I'm trying to contact another person Tombia told me about.

Jeff, Please find out all you can and get pictures as well. Thanks for the help. Tom

30. hrspwrranch

hrspwrranch

I saved a 23 essex roadster cowl from the scrapper truck. I gave him $50 to save it. Any way for you to get it from Denver? Let me know if your interested.

Six Ball likes this.