Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tokyo Rose Tribute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikeszcz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Ok, here goes. My inspiration for starting a build thread is twofold.
    1. I’m a lurker and always enjoy the build threads. I frequent 2 or 3 forums and the HAMB is by far my favorite. Call it a payback of sort to all who take the time to make the HAMB what it is.
    2. The other reason is strictly for self-motivation. My Adult Attention Deficit Disorder keeps me busy, so starting this thread may help keep me focused on one project for a while. I’m pre-entered for the Byron Meltdown drags and I have till June to get it up and running. It may not get painted by then, but I think the budget will allow me to get it moving under its own power. The ultimate goal is to get it out to the York Reunion, but that may be a bit lofty for 6 months and a limited budget…. 2015 maybe……2016 for sure.

Intro: I’m an x-drag racer that got tired of the expense of travel and constant creative rule interpretation of NHRA stock eliminator racing and thought street rodding and car shows might be the life for me. One summer of that proved me wrong. So, while searching for a 55 Chevy 2-door sedan to relive my glory days of old, I stumbled across this gem and immediately envisioned a Tokyo Rose tribute. While doing some research, I discovered the original still existed (HAMB). So with the permission of the current owner of the original Tokyo Rose and encouragement of George Cureton, here goes.
    56[1].jpg

Deuces, Brom, Baron and 5 others like this.
  2. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

563.jpg
    The project: 1956 Chevy Sedan delivery Tokyo Rose tribute (the rose colored version).
    For all the purists, don’t get too excited, I’m going to do a few things that may upset you. I intend to bracket race this on occasion and I’m going to do a few things to make it bracket race friendly and legal for my local bracket track. My good friend Billy offered me his old stocker 327 to use so you’re not going to see it get a 265…unless someone can match Bill’s offer. Plus, it will get a powerglide( I can hear the sighs), because that’s what’s on the shelf.
    I’m open to criticism and suggestions, but if you’re a hater, read no more. I’d love to build a period correct Jr. Stocker, but I might not live to see it finished and I just can’t justify the added expense. Some work has been started and I’ll get things up to speed in the next few posts.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I say go for it! I have the same idea as you only building a Jr. stock "looking" 57 Chevy. I have a 283 block with a 327 crank and a PG. A set of pre 67 283 heads and a 270hp dual quad set-up. I have been racing my MG for 7 years now with the hilborn, magneto, small radiator and no alternator it's fun but a big pain in the ass. I would like to put pump gas in a car and drive it around in the pits and even home if I feel like it. So go ahead and good luck.

Pat

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - be realistic as to what you can accomplish within a reasonable time line and budget. then build accordingly. it may not be 100% but, that is OK - more important to go out and have fun. many people may not know about the original, and this would be a way to change that.

5. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I love what your doing and the 56 sedan delivery is one my favorites. I owned one back in the mid-60s even had a hydro lined up for the build. But I was young and in the moment and a older guy made me a offer I couldent refuse. I will dig out a picture and post it.
    I built and have a 55 sedan JR. stock type build and love it.
    I had it at the meltdown last summer and I'm signed up this year.
    I really wanted to make a tribute car but haven't yet. I've been toying with the idea just can't decide. Ron

6. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

This the only picture i ever took of the 56 would have made a nice JR. stocker. Ron

[​IMG]

7. Thumbs up here! SD, you may end up with a Hydro one day. The J/S cars of the day just had an all business look to them. You plan on steel wheels as in the photo?

8. A cool idea! Good luck in your build, a nice tribute to a classic runner, AND a cool car at that.

9. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

This will be a cool build! I'm excited to see it come together. Make sure you get a video of its first pass for us

10. biscaynes

biscaynes

great! looking forward to the build!
    hopefully the owner of the original TR finds the means to get it restored soon

11. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Cool! Scotty(original TR owner) told me someone was doing that was waiting to hear more on it. Ill let him know@ he was talking about getting his chassis out and done just the other day!

12. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Yes, steel wheels but we’ll be using a conventional 9” slick to aid consistency for brackets.
    Premier Powder Coating of Ettrick Wisconsin media blasted the body for us. They used recycled crushed florescent light bulbs for a media and did an outstanding job at a reasonable cost. I may have saved a few bucks stripping it ourselves, but we would have never got the metal this clean. I looked it over top and bottom and couldn’t find anything they missed. Money well spent.
    DSC02947.JPG DSC02949.JPG DSC02950.JPG DSC02951.JPG

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm so excited about your build.
    I too have raced Stock Eliminator and stopped due the ever increasing costs.
    I totally agree with your direction with the project, have fun and keep us up on your progress.
    We won't let you slack off :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. That body is solid as a rock! All original?

brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  15. I'm subscribed. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

Im going to join this ride also !!!

17. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I was told it was a North Dakota Forestry car. Pretty solid, but it’s been banged up here and there. Supposedly the government required a rear passenger side window which has been patched. The car has changed hands a couple times, but luckily stored indoors thru those ownerships. The guy I bought it from had started some patch work on the floors and did a pretty good job. We purchased rockers from Danchuk and a rear valance. All decent stuff I might add.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Wow body looks great should be fun to work with all that clean metal.
    I bought a 55 sedan from a guy in New Ulm a few years back. The body was almost pefect and was from ND too. Some great steel up that way who would of thought.
    Any thoughts on gaining to the Trifive Nationals BG Ky. In Aug? Ron

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I put the Trifive nationals on the calander, but not sure at this point.
    I scored a pair of seats out of this 55 delivery. Pretty sure it’s still there. More rust than I wanted to tackle. The guy was asking $3500.00 for it before we stole the seats out of it. The seats looked terrible until I took some 409 to them. They cleaned up quite well and I’m going to use them as is. George said he had a single black bucket (strictly business) in the original, but I’m going to put both seats in ours.
    55.jpg 551.jpg DSC02923.JPG DSC02927.JPG

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I hope Scotty doesn’t mind me posting this picture. I think it’s pretty cool that the original still exists. Scotty was gracious enough to scrape a little paint off the door jamb to help us match the color when it comes time to paint. rose as is.jpg

21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Hopefully you bring it out a little locally...I'd love to see it!

22. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

That was one of my favorite Junior Stockers back then. Can't wait to follow along as you recreate it.

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's like I often argue. Use what you have. I imagine the original car had a 265 because that is what they had.

24. CTAV8

CTAV8

I think it was because they ran the sedan deliveries in stock class and you had to use 210 hp 265ci. They came with the four speed Hydramatic from the factory and also had very good weight transfer. The sd's were basically unbeatable and held all the National records.

25. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think you'd find a Hydramatic factory installed in a 56 sedan delivery. Chevy only used them in trucks.

Looks like it will be a fun build. I put my Chevy II together in about that much time, so it's possible...but I also didn't have to go to work every day.

2OLD2FAST and els like this.
  26. CTAV8

CTAV8

Nope, you're wrong Squirrel. Tokyo Rose and others ran the four speed Hydramatic. It was allowed by NHRA because it was an available option on the sedan deliveries .... not the wagons just the sd's and was legal to run.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Babyearl

Babyearl

I think I will tag along here,, I know of a '56 post car that can be purchased. It is really rusty and would only be good for a race car.

28. '56 150

'56 150

What were the rules to run in C/MP? Would the Tokyo Rose be theoretically be bumped to that class from Junior Stock with a 327cu in motor?
    Looking at pics of cars of these two classes in vintage magazines etc. look very similar other than engine size what's the difference between the two classes.

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have a 56 Hydromatic I'll let go of.

Shipping costs are probably more than the beast is worth though.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. CTAV8

CTAV8

MP meant modified production and I'm a little fuzzy on the rules but I think you could run any engine from that manufacturer and were allowed to do lots of engine mods but the motor had to sit in the original location. Classes were set by displacement and weight. Stock classes were set by "advertised horsepower" and weight. So probably dropping in a 327 would make it fall into MP.