Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Welders look here....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by POLYFRIED 35, Jan 25, 2015.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Hey guys, I am changing out the springs on my Fleetline and have tack welded the spring perches on. I'm not good enough to do my own welds for this job. I realize there won't be an exact answer but how much should I expect to pay to have this done? I would not have a clue and don't want to over pay.

Basically I would take the rear to them or they could come to me - clean and ready to weld. About 18 inches of weld.

[​IMG]

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That amounts to about a half hour of work give or take, maybe even faster than that.
    Avoid shops that charge by the hour with a 2 hour minimum in some cases, or shops that will add on things like shop supplies onto the bill.

Find a local car guy that can weld and have a beer with him afterwards. :)
    Or, learn to lay some beads and do it yourself :)

volvobrynk and prewarcars4me like this.
  3. powrshftr likes this.
  4. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

I think I belong to it..I will have to post up there as well. I do not hang out there much, they are usually pretty dead.

5. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

My beads tend to look like blobs LOL

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your welding machine is up to the task I'd suggest finding someone who could walk in and weld it where you have it set up ready to weld. That could be a club member, the kid down the street who has had three years of welding class in school or the retired guy down the block who has welded for years.
    When I lived in McGregor Tx in the early 70's I would tack things together with my little Monkey Wards welder and then haul them down the street to my buddy's house where it cost me many six packs of Budwiser to have things welded up over the years I lived there. I also carried some pieces down to the local welding shop to have done but they were pretty friendly on prices then.
    Since you seem to have the welder and material it is a simple task for someone else to walk in and weld it up. That is unless you prefer not to have others in your garage then load it up and haul it to the local welding shop and expect to pay the shop rate. That will probably be shop minimum as it won't take much time to do if you have them tacked on but minimum is usually a half hour.

powrshftr likes this.
  7. Bring your axle over and a pizza

hipster, volvobrynk and POLYFRIED 35 like this.
  8. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

SO whats the average going rate?

9. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Your too far and your fixin to get hit with snow LOL ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. The shop I do a lot of cutting for charges $85 an hour. If a guy caught me outside welding and asked me, Id tell him to leave it while I weld it and he can run up to the store and buy me a soda and my wife a 6 pack of PBR.

11. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

I just have a little Lincoln Pro Mig 140 without any gas. It would probably do the job just not with me behind it LOL I could do it but it wouldn't look good.... also I wouldn't want this area of the car to fail LOL

12. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

OK this is good to know ... so If I take it somewhere I shouldn't expect to pay over a hundred bucks ... assuming they do not have a minimum.. someone coming to me a little more.

13. If they come to you, expect a healthy mobile charge. Most welding/steel shops I've worked with wouldnt hit you very hard and would probably do it on your tailgate while you wait. I'd just call around, because if you can catch them with welders out and nothing on the table, you'll be in and out and not break the bank.

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  14. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

15. It's about a five minute job..Ten max ,if your bring it to someone.
    Find a shop that builds open trailers. Load it up and just drop by with it.
    I'd do it for an 18 pk. of Keystone Light from Wallymart.

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  16. wandi harry

wandi harry

Is there any chance the weld will pull the housing?

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  17. That's a good question to ask.
    I'd weld about an inch on each corner, skipping around.
    Then fill in the middles. If you welder is hot enough, it'll look fine.
    Hey, I allowed a few minutes for cooling already. LOL

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  18. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

get some small steel pieces and just practice. you can have it down in a couple of hours. doesn't need to be a solid bead. clean surface, good ground, hot n slow..you'll be fine!

19. stimpy

stimpy

the shop near us charged $200 to do it , but the welder is certified ( AWS-ASME ) and knows his stuff , and guarantees the axle will not break loose and nose up ( break welds and rotate in saddles ) .and I have seen that happen a few times on the street and the track , mostly from cold welds , not getting penetration on one piece ( fillet welds can be tricky ) or poor cleaning

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  20. Anything with power, slicks, 4 speed, etc. should have the pads gusseted with tabs front and rear, or preferably a strap all the way over the tube.
    Nova or 1st gen. Kaymaro with factory perches and t-bolts..
    Don't even think about it!

21. stimpy

stimpy

Oh and Poly My price is in the Chicago area and the welder does stuff at the local industries ( petro chem mostly ) and mobile work on heavy equipment and has a job shop too , hes probably a little high priced compaired to most but like I said will back up his work and does a excellent job ( cleans up any spatter and takes the time to make sure other stuff doesn't get spattered or smoked .

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  22. AntiBling

AntiBling

$50 is what I'd charge ya. I don't know you, and I doubt you'd be the type to bring me lots of work, so you'd get the flat hour rate.

23. AntiBling

AntiBling

Good job knowing your limits and taking it to a professional though. I see a lot of people online that need to do that.

prewarcars4me and POLYFRIED 35 like this.
  24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The shop I used to work at mainly did farm work (the shop was the owner's barn). When a job like that came in, many times they would just do it for nothing. I guess they were greatful for the change of pace.

Gary

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  25. oldolds

oldolds

Take the rear to a Tech School. Those guys need the practice. It should be low cost. The teacher should let one of the better students weld it.
    You have it cleaned up so no prep time. Half hour to do it, I think $50 or less should get it weled up at most shops.

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  26. The Georgia social club that is active is this one:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/s-f-c-c.10/

Laydrag (Russ) lives right south of Exit 13 at Twin Lakes Camprground. He could do it quick for a 6 pack I'm sure. The Grave Robbers shop is one right turn before TwinLakes, good guys, they could do it. I live off exit 14 I could do it for a 6 pack :) the list goes on .... you are in a good spot here.

27. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Thanks fro the info @Dog_Patch ! That shop is right near me.. I am a mile off of Post and 9. I may look into a mobile guy first so I don't have to load the thing!

28. slowmotion

slowmotion

If you stopped by here, one of my boys (pipeliners) would fix you up, and probably offer YOU a cold one when finished. :D

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  29. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Wish you were closer! I like ice in my cold ones! ;)

30. agr
    agreed, get some scrap and play for a few minutes, turn the little welder all the way up, your welding to thick axle tubes, you will be fine.