Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

40 years that pretty good I don't have that many in 2 marriages.

powrshftr and enloe like this.
  2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Swap spots are free with your paid spectator entry.

3. Yep, a swap space is free with entry. The material for sale in the swap space must be appropriate (i.e. no rummage sale or late model crap). See www.meltdowndrags.com forthe swap meet criteria.

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I USUALLY SELL 50S THRU EARLY 70S CAR MAGAZINES.

II FUNNY likes this.
  5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The MDA may have to inspect them, and possibly buy some before giving you the go ahead:D

beebee78 and powrshftr like this.
  6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

7. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Guess I just got lucky, you know the old saying "Happy Wife............Happy Life" :)
    Man.......wish I'd known 40 years ago my Wedding Anniversary was gonna clash with the Meltdown, could've got married any month of the year (glad my better half don't read the HAMB):eek:

loudbang and II FUNNY like this.
  8. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Funny,I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago when I picked up these tires/wheels. I have no real use for them other than they are neat to look at. Good for a gasser project someday I guess.
    15 x 8.5 Western uni-lug tires measure 9 x 29 slightly age hardened for 1/4 mile long smokey passes, should I bring them to the Meltdown for you?
    DSC_0631.JPG

enloe likes this.
  9. bigslim55

bigslim55

55chieftain, yeah that sounds simple enough, it be oversize, after you popped it off, but like you say if you then add couple layers to underside to firm it up. Then for better fit sand outside edges back in to narrow it up. In theory sounds like it work... Hum!!!
    Yeah it may cost some money for materials, but it's cool to say I made that! Like AJ with his HEMI Dragster oil pan or Scott recontouring his engine bay on the Mighty Mustang!
    Jim...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

powrshftr likes this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I would like to have them but I can't afford them right now

11. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Sorry for the delay in posting this...I was too busy dealing with Scott's pubescent shenanigans...

Here is the update from this past Monday...

Lots of Studebakers are coming out this year...here is a small sampling of the invasion of the Studes!

Note - the black one will be removing the lettering on his tires.

102_Graham_stude.jpg 184_Harwick_stude.jpg 54_Bateman_stude.jpg 39_Buetsch_Stude.jpeg 204_Lewis_stude.jpg

enloe, loudbang and fast30coupe like this.
  12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I can't wait to see them run. I love orphan cars.

Gary

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

The guys with that orange one worked their asses off on that car to get it to run,and man did it pay off!

You couldn't find a nicer bunch of guys,either.We were pitted just a few spots away from them,and they were really a great bunch of guys.

That Lark Ness car,one of my all-time favorites.Looking forward to seeing it run this year.:)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are the Hilborn style scoops for the two fours worth a shit or are they just for looks?

15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes they will grab and force air into the carb like any other scoop question is what's the intended purpose and will it actually be in the forced airstream

However in the instance of this lakeshore yanker and slokie poker deal it won't help either one of em get ahead of the neighborhood nightmare
    I call a Willys pickup lmao

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  16. powrshftr

powrshftr

I imagine if you get them up in the breeze far enough they will jam a fair bit of air into those carbs Salty.Jyst having something on the outside of the engine compartment,sucking in air that's a few degrees cooler has to help too.

Plus,its a great place to throw a couple of Champion Spark Plugs decals and look like KS Pittman,or the Hill Brothers Red Baron,or which ever car it was that used to run that.Im old....sometimes I get a little confused.Now is one of those times.:) lol!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422119727.248141.jpg

I believe that pic is of Phil's SBC that decided it was going to use one of it's powdered metal connecting rods as a buzz saw to cut itself into two pieces,so its better to use a "before " photo.Sometimes I think his luck is as bad as mine.

Scott

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

You dirty dog!:D

How's the truck coming along,anyway?Last I heard,you had some gremlins chased out of the ol truck and were into the 10.80's....Is that right,or is my old brain stroking out on me.....?

Does anybody else smell toast burning?

And will somebody ANSWER THAT DAMN PHONE!?!?

:D

Scott

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Big Jim:
    Here is the link to that really cool gasser-style scoop I have been meaning to post for you for over a week now.Sorry it took so long Brother,I wasn't able to track it down til just now!lol!

The dimensions are either 3" or 3-1/2" tall (your choice),by 13" long.

http://www.up22.com/scoopw3.htm#SC-110-3

Check it out:)

Scott

19. Sorry Scott but the resemblance is uncanny ;)

powrshftr likes this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

And it's either $39.00 or $59.99 depending which one you need.Just have it painted body colour before you jam it on ther,and you're golden:)

As long as you used lots of masking tape to mark out and cut the hood so you don't mar the paint when cutting it,you will be able to pull this off like a Ninja:)

That should give you plenty of room for those Holleys to inhale all that Byron-y goodness!:D

Scott

21. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

THATS AWESOME....that truck is great!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  22. powrshftr

powrshftr

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tony,I haven't laughed that hard in TEN YEARS!!!:)

My Wife and kids think I'm completely insane right now,because Im down here absolutely SCREAMING laughing so hard I can barely breathe,with tears running down my face!:)

Ps:Thats IT.Im shaving right effin NOW.lol!

Scott

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

That really sucks.I just spent 20 minutes writing up a post thanking Paul for all the pics of absolutely killer work he has been doing on the Hairy Hauler and posting them on Facebook,and Squirrel,who apparently doesn't get my sense of humor,but who's build of that little red Chevy II was a major inspiration to me,from the fab work,right down to that oh-so-perfect lettering job,as well as wrenchbender,Saltflats,and some of the other guys who were able to produce some killer machines on an ultra low budget like myself.
    And of course Ric's flurries of razor sharp wit,and words of encouragement have driven myself and many others to get with the program,and pick up our game for the Meltdown.

Thanks to you guys,and everyone else who has contributed to this thread,and helped build up the hype for this incredible event.Its definitely the highlight of the entire racing season for me and my Dad,and I know Big Jim is like a kid at Christmas time when July rolls a round too!:)

And thanks to the Okie Doker,cause win or lose,this year is going to be an absolute blast!Scott

loudbang likes this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks guys I have plans to get some carb spacer under the two fours on the Bel Air and not sure I will have room to just jack up the back of the so have been thinking of the Hilborn style scoop or a pair of velocith stacks.
    I do know the importance of for say the shape of the air entering the carb's and to get fresh air in. Just didn't want all show and no go.

25. bigslim55

bigslim55

Hey Scott that scoops nice, do I reverse engineer it & mount like pic I seen of the scoop on RIC's car? I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it...
    Made some progress last night & today with Intake. I got the linkage mounted & had fuel lines made at Lake Co Hose this morning. Took a break, almost need to be Gumby to get at intake bolts under crossram intake!!! Hope to get it off & old gaskets cleaned up. Then try to figure how I can muster some super human strength to set new intake on?!? Drink a 5 hr energy & Large Duncan Donuts coffee?!? LOL! Jim... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422130645.031341.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422130681.313211.jpg

Dog_Patch likes this.
  26. Are there any Hairy Hauler pics on the HAMB? That thing is really cool as hell. Can't wait to see it in person.

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Jim,
    If you want to make it super easy on yourself:

1: Remove carbs from tunnel ram
    2: Remove plenum from tunnel ram
    3: take some old intake bolts,or longer ones with the same thread pitch,and cut the heads off with a hacksaw or grinder.
    4: Slot the top of the bolts where you just cut the head off,using hacksaw.This will allow you to back them in/out with a small flat screwdriver
    5: Install 4 of these bolts,one at each corner of the heads,where the corner intake bolts go
    6: Drop base of intake into place over these bolts which now act as locating dowels to drop intake in place without disturbing the intake gaskets,and the bead of rtv used as front and rear intake gasket when installing a sbf intake.(Cause the cork gaskets are shit,and just squash out and leak)
    7: Bolts can now be easily removed with aforementioned screwdriver,all the bolts can be installed and torqued,and the rest of the intake and carbs,fuel system,and linkage can be installed.

Don't forget to re-torque the intake the next day,then check torque a few times after you warm up the engine the first few times.Those gaskets do funny things.The Fel Pro's don't seem to act as weird,but Victor gaskets like to take a set pretty drastically,and allow the bolt tension to go all haywire....In my experience,anyway.:)

Scott

saltflats likes this.
  28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Jim,I just noticed your linkage.That looks really nice,but why didn't you wait for me to send you the free stuff?If you need to get rid of some pesky $100 bills,I will help you out by kindly allowing you to buy me a shiny new Dart or FRPP Boss block.....There.I feel better already.Im such a Good Samaritan:)

Scott

29. Saxxon

Saxxon

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is gonna be one wicked truck.

Speaking of wicked trucks,how's things in the 'Peg Davey?:)

I hope to see lots more smiles out of you this year,as last year,I think you and I were pegging the needle on the "Frown-O-Meter" pretty much the entire day out in front of Gary the Carb Guy's trailer....Between your fuel issues and my clutch issues,we should have started a blues band.I think Ric and Marc could have sat in for a few songs about electrical issues;)

Scott