Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Mattitude: the Beginning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TexasSpeed, May 31, 2011.

1. sharpmark

sharpmark

i like your build - I've been following it from the beginning.
    that last photo is great !!
    I'm looking forward to comparing notes on the 4 x 2-barrel setup and the possible tuning hassles .
    my roadster is at about the same stage.
    thanks for the photos and everything.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey, who are you calling old geezer or hipster!

Wosaae
    Okay, I'm calm again.
    I better go and check Instagram. I only joined it to be able to see follow the T33 roadster build, but there might be other there that is good to follow.
    I love the HAMB, but I notisted that a lot of people update Instagram before the HAMB, so now I will go and subscribe to your Instagram-build thread.
    I really appreciate that you put your handle up, so a Instagram-fng can find you there too.

Like what you did se fare.

Update on the new mill? Size, cam intake? Is it you 4x2 intake yours? Is the gold yours, or is the hugger orange?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. missysdad1

missysdad1

I just started a new project, Matt - a '28 roadster on '32 rails. Can I have my headers back...?

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hahaha!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  6. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Great stance. Looks like you mignt have to chop an inch or two out of the grille.

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks everyone!

The orange engine is the '57 283 with the 4x2. That one is mine. The gold engine is my buddy's. From what he tells me, it's a 350 with 11:1 compression and "a nice lopey cam" if I recall correctly.

The 283 won't be this extreme. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more early 265/283s in the hopes that I find a runner.

... Hipster. ;)

If you're serious, I wouldn't be against it. I just wish early Chevy headers weren't such a pain to find. Let me ponder on this some.

Thank you! That's the plan. My friends have been sort of trying to peer-pressure me into doing a little chop and a little "sectioning" on the side so face of the grille moves down between the rails but is also shorter somewhat just to play with proportions.

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

Nah, just pullin' yer leg! They look great on your car! I've got a smoothed set of OEM cast iron ram's horn manifolds for my new hot rod. They'll be neat and functional, but not nearly so cool as the Hedmans. Glad to see your project coming along so well! Keep it up!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is it that hard to take it apart, and fix it? That looks like a damn fine mill. And dried up lube, turned glue can be undone! Or is it way worth? Like water in the gallery?
    And in my book is a 57 283 way cooler then a 350. But that intake wold make a mid 80s 305 goodwrench cool, but would also make that 283 super cool.

Pull the numbers if you are I doubt to what it is. Left rear, and front right. That tells a lot. No side mounts and no acc bolt holes look way better. But with the hood on both look good.

And dispite just turning thirty, I prefere old over Hipster. That a bad word over here. :eek:

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

He knows what it is . There is quite a bit about it earlier in the thread. I think it is the very one my brother and his friend from Amarillo put in the friends '40 tudor in '57. It sure looks like it.:rolleyes:

11. JJK

JJK

What's a hipster?

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hipster wiki

:D
    It's all in good fun. But over here calling someone a hipster, is just as bad as using the RR name on here.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Been plugging away at the roadster (literally :D)..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I forgot to take an after picture.. But you get the idea. I sold some stuff and have been putting the money towards my roadster. The first thing I ordered were front tires because those motorcycle tires have been eyesores from day one..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also painted the wheels black and have started painting some smaller parts in anticipation of buttoning up stuff. The front end will likely get done first followed by the rear end (aside from the driveshaft). I'm about to have the spindles honed and rebushed. I'm also taking some parts to get machined so I can button up the steering set-up soon. I need a plan of attack for after all that stuff gets done, it's nice having things moving along as much as they are. I keep telling myself "It's only your first build.. No pressure.."

Does anyone know the name of the hue of blue on the back of this wheel? It was painted over a dark blue, so I'm not sure if this is a factory color. I love it.. The front didn't look anything like the back before I sanded it down for some rattle-can black however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also took the worse of the two Hudson taillights I was planning on using and cut/ground off the back to roughly about how thick I wanted the taillight surround to look. It's far from done, but now I'm not sure if I'm in love with it anymore. I think the amount of glass that sticks out is what ruins it for me.. Anyone feel like putting their two cents in? I know I'll probably look around for something else that's not commonplace, but not as big as these are..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took this picture because a buddy pointed out that he did not miss working out of an one-car garage and how he doesn't think anyone can have too much space. I agree with that sentiment, but I'm grateful to have ample room to work on my junk. Some people don't even have a car port for that, let alone a yard.. You just have to make do with what you have.

[​IMG]

JJK and farmer12 like this.
  14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Glad to see you're making progress buddy! Tail lights are such a tough decision.

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

I agree, Matt. Those tail lights are a bit visually "heavy" for a Model A roadster. In planning my new '28 roadster I am up against the same dilemma of trying to find a tail light that looks better than the traditional '39 Ford tear drop. So far, no luck. Nothing seems so "right" on a roadster than the old standard '39...so I guess I'll use 'em yet again.

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Those Hudson lights look period-perfect to me. Keep 'em.

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

What about a pair of '40 Fords, turned sideways? I have never seen it done, always thought it might look cool.

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like the tail lights. They are junk yard tech, different but not dumb. I bet someone here knows how to cut down the lens so it won't stick out so far but that's not bothering me. You are dealing with real parts from the right time, use them. You have a good eye, trust it. Good to see you back at it.

19. Anderson

Anderson

I really dig the lights, maybe turn them upright to look smaller?

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks, everyone..

I think the '40 taillights are too complex. I like minimalism, so the more simple the taillight, the better. But I also like originality too.. Quite a predicament I'm in, uh?

.. Just maybe.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424210378.854104.jpg

Just got back from Bass' where I had him chuck some stuff in his lathe for me.. Thanks, Brian!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424210418.023975.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424210445.259498.jpg

He says the spindles will be ready for me to pick up at the Decatur swap meet this weekend. :)

21. Like them sidewards. You could take the part where you cut off the tops and make a LP surrond that ties in ? Or have a light shine out the cut off that makes LP light , just thinking . A little more JD and I'll really have some more thoughts .

22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Great idea!
    Here's a quickie sketch.

Attached Files:

23. Maybe sink them in, like on Casnys roadster

24. I assume the lens is glass?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Those tail lights look on point to me!

26. missysdad1

missysdad1

I've seen 1948 Chevy tail lights used on '28/'29 Model A's and they look very good. They are small enough that they don't overpower the rear panel like the "double D" size Hudson ones do.

upload_2015-2-17_20-20-17.jpeg

Speedway Motors has them repro for a reasonable price. Just a thought...

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That would be a lot of work. The "bezels" are pot metal..

I don't really want to modify the tail panel that much. It'd just be more work to get it done. Drivability is paramount at this point. I have thought about just a pair of A or deuce taillights mounted under the rear edge.

Yep. Glass.

They don't look too big to you?

I had thought about it earlier when I was at Sachse Rod Shop. They carry them but I'll probably go with A/deuce lights for now until I find something else I like. I just need one more deuce light..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424234997.196353.jpg

I do have this pretty cool taillight which I think is off a Cushman? If I could just find one more..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424235051.465684.jpg

28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Not really. Form the new elements out of bar stock and butt them up to the hacked off "top" of the pot metal housings.

29. Anderson

Anderson

Whatever you do, use original lights. None of them are that hard to find, tail light king is a good source. Don't buy those junk Vintique repops.

LSGUN likes this.