Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods angel hair fabric

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 911 steve, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I posted on the 60's show car thread, but will try a separate post. I am looking for white angel hair fabric for the package tray on my 40 Ford. 60's style interior with red & white tuck and roll. any leads?? I've googled it but not found what I remember it looking like. a good view of what I'm after is in American Graffiti where Curt is in the back seat with the Pharoahs.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Angel hair is kind of like cotton candy. Fluffy, strands that can be placed for decoration (think car show). Usually, the furry stuff for dashboards and rear package shelves, was a "faux fur" type of material, which had a cloth type backing. Usually came on a 54" roll. Try a fabric shop.

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

We have it at our JoAnn Fabric stores - I'm not sure if it's a national store chain or not, but if you Google it it might take you to their website - they have exactly what you want.

4. Isn't it spun fibreglass?

5. Amazon has it $8.67 for a 2 ounce bag w/ free shipping.

6. I believe your right, used to use it for aquarium filters.

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

That's different stuff.

8. I was curious how that would look on a package tray. Maybe on Liberace's it would look nice:)

9. 1pickup

1pickup

^^^ do you often think about Liberace's package? ^^^

hipster and Hnstray like this.
  10. Probably what your looking for is fake fur.

When I found my old Model A pickup back in the late 70's and drug it home some enterprising hot rodder cobbled up what could only be described as a RR and abandoned it but not before using blue long hair ugly bathroom mats.:eek:

Check out the site below or look for fake fur. HRP

http://www.raveready.com/fur-by-the-yard-s/715.htm

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Angel Hair= Spun Fiberglass. Good for clouds/smoke/display burnouts/fake bong rips.

Faux Fur AKA Wizards Beard AKA Unicorn Pubes= Fabric. Good for Package trays/headliners. Not good for floor/carpet-ask me how I know!

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. Only when I'm in Wisconsin;)

1pickup, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. a friend bought some at joahns fabrics, except in black. the girl at the register asked if he was making a gorilla suit.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Whe have JoAnns here on the east coast.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Okay, I'll bite. How do you know? :)

Hnstray likes this.
  16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Poor Liberace, he was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.

17. lmao!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Oh that was sick!

19. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

ebay long pile or shag hair/fur...i used 2 1/2" fur for my headliner,you can see it hanging down in the pic

Attached Files:

20. Ha Ha Ha Ha!

21. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

What You are looking for was called "Monkey Fur" or as mentioned above "Faux Fur". Angle Hair was a fiberglass (spun glass) product that was at one time used to decorate around Christmas Trees. Some of the Show Car Guys would place it around their back tires to simulate tire smoke while the car was on static display............... Jeff

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I remember car shows in the 60s. Angel hair (long glass fiber strands) would be on floor around car, while long white fur would be inside car. I remember one guy with a 55 Chevy who had white fake fur carpeting that went in car when he showed it but took it out when he drove it

23. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

What a line. I'm still laughing! Looking for an occasion to use it myself now.

24. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I have looked at JoAnn Fabric. They don't have long enough fur, its only about 1" long. This "rave ready" seems to be closest to what I'm looking for. Thanks, Guys.

25. How long do you want ?
    2" http://secure.distinctivefabric.com/Products/Solid-Long-Hair-Fur/-/79832?p=YzE9MTY1Mw==
    3" http://secure.distinctivefabric.com/Products/Extra-Long-Hair-Fur/-/79717?p=YzE9MTY1Mw==
    3.5" http://secure.distinctivefabric.com/Products/Monkey-Shag/-/79779?p=YzE9MTY1Mw==
    More here: http://secure.distinctivefabric.com/Long-Pile-FurDF