Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toppers car club Alameda CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, Aug 27, 2010.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

anyone know anyone who was in this club? my grandfather was in this club when it was in Alameda and when they moved to Oakland after the police kicked them out of Alameda. Any and all info would be great. I am also looking into reopening the club. If you were a part of the toppers or know someone who was please let me know, I would love to chat with you. This club is not affiliated with the north dakota club. here is a photo of the plaque that was usually painted maroon and had a member number on it which this one does not have for some reason.

[​IMG]

2. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

any San Francisco bay area locals on here?

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

if anyone has a plaque from the toppers let me know im interested in buying them. Here is my grand father's jacket. If you have one of them I would be interested in them as well.

Attached Files:

4. 510madmav

510madmav

My grandpa was in a club in Oakland back then. Something like the Gents i think. He might know somethin about the Toppers. I will have to ask next time. Where are you in SLZ?

5. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

im near del rey school. Love to hear any and all info he may have.

6. 510madmav

510madmav

Real close to me. what do ya drive?

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

well to make a long story short, i started with a 71 pinto. it got stolen and smashed about 4 years ago. I brought it to my work and have been working on it slowly due to financial troubles. so currently my gf an I have a civic si. she works at fairmont as a nurse so she takes the car. so technically i dont drive anything cool.. yet. The 55 chrysler i just bought is in san leandro at my uncles house (as you know here in slz not much room to store cars) the 55 needs an engine rebuild. and the 27 is in my garage. been there since 1956 lol i am hoping to finish the pinto this year as a daily driver. was planning to do a v8 conversion but now that i have the 55 id rather direct my funds and time to that instead of a car that is worth 500 bucks lol

8. 510madmav

510madmav

Cool, i have a Maverick that's muscled out, seen it? its in bare metal now.. sorry to hijack the thread. would like to know more about the 27! there are a few rodders in our town, not a whole lot though.

9. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

haha its all good. no worries. Yeah I have always felt like I was born in the wrong era. Im 25 going on 60 lol. Most of my friends are over the age of 50 lol. Petes transmission on lewelling is an old school hot rod shop. I walked in there a few weeks ago and felt like i was transported into the 50's. It was awesome. But your right not many of the hot rodders of yesteryear are still around. some of them go to the k mart car show in san leandro but there are not many.

Do you work at a shop? I work at a mustang restoration shop on clawiter called Golden West.

My family has been in the hot rod world since the dawn of time. My great grandfather had a signal gas station in Oakland CA. Tommy "the greek" a local pin striper and custom painter had started his striping career striping in the parking lot of the signal gas station.

I got into the industry working under an old bodyman who is/was a local hot rodder, in many clubs, and owns many hot rods still. I currently work for a mustang restoration shop, restoring Shelbys, mustangs, and specialty fords. Although we will work on anything of value. You can check out our shop at www.themustangguys.com

I also have a blog vividlyvintage.com

10. Brujo29

Brujo29

Wow,i'm in SLZ too..and down the street from Del Rey School.(Burgundy 29 Coupester)..If you are looking for info on area history,stop by Big O on Lew/Wash and ask for Johnny.He knows all the old HotRodders around here and might be able to steer you in the right direction..

11. tex1935

tex1935

The car club plaque can be found at relic and rod website/ obrien trucking. good luck tex1935

12. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Hi Brujo, Yeah I have seen your coupe. Very nice. I live on bandoni ave. Do you also have a 31 truck too?

13. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I couldnt find it on there. But there is a plaque at voc hubbards and the american museum of speed

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

14. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one? ......

[​IMG]

It's on the Alameda page. The picture was taken at Speedway.

15. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

Huh funny how you can live some place and never heard anything about this club! I have lived in Alameda since 84. I will have to ask around, the one place for sure to stop by and ask is The World Famous Lee Auto Supply(now in partnership with Napa). Lots of old timers hang out there, I know the owners dad has owned that building forever. I hope this helps, and I will ask around and post info...

16. w3clark

w3clark

I was a member of the Toppers of Alameda. I joined in 1956. We were a very cool club that would stop and help a motorist in trouble. I still have my plaque and some of the cards that we would hand out after assisting someone with a dead battery, flat tire, etc. My number was 33.

17. w3clark

w3clark

I was a member of this club. My name is Bill Clark. I joined in September 1956. My number was 33. It was a very cool club. We would stop and help motorists in trouble. We would change tires, get gas, restart dead batteries, etc. I left the club in 1959 and went off to engineering school. We used to go to Nikko's in East Oakland after our meetings on Thursday nights. I still have my plaque and the cards that we would hand out to people after we helped them.

18. w3clark

w3clark

To Doug at VividlyVintage: I have a photo of my Toppers Plaque #33 but I do not know how to insert it here. If you have a seperate email address, I can send the photo to you (the plaque is not for sale). I also have a card that I can spare...it is one of the ones that we would give out to a motorist after we helped them. I would be happy to mail it to you. I used to live in San Lorenzo on via Los Trancos just off of via Alamitos in the early 50's.

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I'm wondering if your plaque looks like this .....

[​IMG]

..... except with the number 33 on it somewhere.​

20. JakesA

JakesA

In the early 1960's Monogram released a kit called "red chariot" based on the 1930 model A phaeton and it included a plaque decal for the "Toppers" which was very similiar to the plaques shown in this thread.

21. w3clark

w3clark

Yes. exactly like that, with the 33 in the lower right corner. The lettering has reflective paint and the background is royal purple. I would attach a photo but I don't know how to do that here. If you send me an email at [email protected] I can reply with the photo attached. To JakesA: I didn't know about the Monogram model...thanks for the info.

22. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here you go .....

[​IMG]

23. 66truckguy

66truckguy

My dad was a member #4 still have Dad the jacket, plaque and the car. I was doing research to put the car back on the road. Found this Forum. I also thought about putting the club back together.

24. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

After I quit my car club, they pulled the plug on all the stuff I had posted on their website and that's why the "Red X" boxes appear. Here are the images from my new website .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 66truckguy

66truckguy

26. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

What is your dad's name? My grand fathers name is Ken Randolphi. He had a stock 1927 chevrolet 4 door he used in the club. He still has it.

27. 66truckguy

66truckguy

Hi ! His name is John Woolley he has a 48 Mercury with a 55 chevy V8. He had the Greek paint his Stripes in your great grandfathers gas station.

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Nice!! My great grand father owned the gas station. His name was Pete Randolphi. But yes Tommy started out at his gas station. It was a signal station. Wow. This is awesome! I will talk to my grand father (Ken Randolphi) who lives on bandoni ave in san lorenzo about your dad.

Is your dad still with us?