Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GHS 1949 Ford Custom Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gijoe985, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats on the great project - hope that you have reached out to local car clubs, also put wanted ads here, craigslist, etc. never know who might have parts, supplies laying around that might donate or sell dirt cheap.

2. gijoe985

gijoe985

I've heard that you can just run stuff through the lines and blow air. I've done that before with an old car. We'll see once we get there. We'll definitely have the tank cleaned and coated.

Few new ?'s-

Evaporust vs tumbler- any opinions one how to restore hardware? I'm thinking about getting a tumbler for this project. Evaporust gets pretty good reviews as well.

How do I ID what read end ratio I have on this car?

3. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

I love it when high school shops get cool stuff. I worked with one a few years ago when they wanted some help/advice. One thing you have now that I didnt have when I helped back then was such a huge internet influence. I suggest you set up a "go-fund-it" or whatever those free sites for donations are called account. then contact the local news channels for some free publicity where they can get the word out about the funding site. It will do more then just get you some funds but car guys will find it and they can then contact you with parts and other stuff they want to donate. Make sure the school system is ok with you setting up such an account because there can be some laws regarding that stuff and you will want to make sure that you document every expense and have those expenses be only for that car. Get some local car clubs involved and see if anyone in those clubs will volunteer to trailer the car to shows for fund raising.

Have fun with it and have the kids print out pictures of the same year model car to hang on the walls for inspiration.

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would guess you probably have a stock 4.11 rear, but you can check by holding one wheel stationary, turning the other wheel two revolutions and counting the revolutions of the drive shaft or U-joint.

5. If it's never been apart it should have a little metal tag on one stun on the center section with the numbers stamped in it.
    The Wizzard

6. Wow, I just was told a story about this car the other day by a guy who stopped by the shop. So glad to hear you guys are tackling it with the kids. I'd like to stop in sometime and check it out if possible? We're not far from TEE PEE, next time you go you should stop in. I might have some stuff to help out.

gijoe985 likes this.
  7. atomickustom

atomickustom

Everyone is right when they say you never know what someone might donate. I have at least one part laying around from every car I've owned in the past 15 years, none of which are very valuable to me. (If anyone wants a '52 Chevy carb or manifold, a '49-51 Ford rear window, or '82 Grand Prix opera windows just let me know!)
    If I were local to you I'd be more than happy to give you whatever I had that I thought you could use and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

8. gijoe985

gijoe985

Joplin... Not local... Hope things are going well there. My brother and friends did a mission there after the tornado. Hope all is well.

Oh, and I might as well add, since you mentioned it, our shopping list currently includes a new set of door/ignition key cylinders. I would have taken up the offer for new keys, but the passenger side is missing anyway. We also need the trim that runs along the top of the hood, the driver side quarterpanel, and probably the front passenger door (that one is very bent and even torn).

Other than that we are just waiting to figure out what our interior plans are and we are beginning to take off the intake to inspect the engine. We will also have to decide, especially if we paint, if we are sticking with original colors, or something new....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  9. gijoe985

gijoe985

Yes, we'll definitely try to meet up. We were at Tee Pees yesterday. My daughter and a couple kids. None of the old Fords had what we needed. There was a driver window, but he wanted the same I could get one new. And ours is just cracked, so we'll get by for now.

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I got my headliner from THESE GUYS . It is very nice quality , and worked out very well for me , even having zero experience installing a new headliner . It was around $180 .

I wouldn't worry about changing rear ends at this point . The car will run around fine with the stocker in there , and stuff like wheel cylinders are cheap as chips . Keep it simple !

11. gijoe985

gijoe985

Alrighty, got the intake off. It is actually not as bad as I had feared. I figure I will slap it back together once we clean the intake.... Thank God for the parts washer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one thing i might add is that you want to use a gl-1 oil in the transmission. it won't attack the bronze parts like the newer grades. 90w. i get it a napa--around $12 for a gallon.

13. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

Just an FYI, I put a '62 Fairlane 8" rearend in my '49. It has 3.50 gears in it and just like the Maverick I had to move the spring perches. If you're looking to do disc brakes, an Aerostar rotor works on the stock spindle with a bearing spacer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. gijoe985

gijoe985

I've never used a bearing spacer before. What would we be looking for?

15. gijoe985

gijoe985

Yeah, I keep looking around the forums and it seems like there are a ton of different mixes of brake combos for front disc. We'd love to grab rotors and calipers from the junk yard. Just need something that will work with the addition of a custom caliper mount. Again, we can make out own custom caliper mounts. Cut them out with the cnc laser cutter... Shoot, if we could get a good design, we could make more for people...

16. Yes you can make your brackets. I've done many and currently doing a set for a 1936 Cord. Most often 3/8" plate is enough to do it with. I have a pair of G.M. caliper to early Ford spindle brackets and use it for mock. I generally start with mounting the Rotor then install the caliper on the bracket, set it on the rotor and make a template of the spindle mod needed. Then transfer everything over to 3/8 plate. Maybe I can get some photos up over the weekend being I'm right in the middle of it all.
    The Wizzard

17. gijoe985

gijoe985

That would be awesome!

Also, we're getting the intake back on, painted, and are going to go a full tune up ont he ignition system before we try to start it next week. Going to run an external tank for now. Probably will pull the tank to inspect if it will be worth cleaning or replacing.

18. Worst case, you can buy a new replacement tank. Check out Tank's Inc. they are $230.00 for your 49. If you have rust in your tank, once cleaned it will need to be sealed again. Add up theh cost for that before doing anything.
    The Wizzard

19. OK, This is just how I do things sometimes. It's subject to change every time I do a simular job. We are probably going to get some Nay Sayers so take it in stride. It's just food for thought.
    I'm not sure how the photos will lay out with the script.
    Here is the spindle in question. It's a 1936 Cord. I'm installing Maverick Rotors with early G.M. calipers.

This is the spindle in question.
    P1010069.JPG
    This is the bearing adapter/spacer and the bracket I use to make the new template. Why start from Zero when you don't have to?
    P1010072.JPG
    This is the bracket modified with 10 gauge to mount to the new bolt pattern.
    P1010073.JPG P1010074.JPG

Here is the new bracket cut and ready to drill mount holes. This way I can transfer hole's and be pretty accurate. (I MAY BE PART POLOCK) P1010075.JPG

Here it is in mock up on the spindle. You need to be sure that part of the inner bearing adapter sets things to where you get the nut on and can get cotter key in. Along with other things that must fit as is conditions. P1010077.JPG P1010076.JPG
    Here is a photo with the adapter/spacer on the shaft. The spacer part sets the Rotor where I wanted it and has the seal surface as the O.D.
    Hope this helps a little.
    The Wizzard P1010070.JPG
    This is all the further I am currently.

20. You can also use an early mustang tank, it replaces the trunk floor as well. You have to build a framework to brace it in there but it is a whole lot cheaper than the repro stocker.

21. I've seem the Mustang tank in a few 49-51 car's. I have yet to see a good way to connect the Mustang fill tube to the gas cap. By the way, the new Mustang tank is only $5.00 cheeper than the correct tank from Tank's.
    The Wizzard

22. I thought I'd seen that they were something like $100. Must have been mistaken. The filler issue is what would keep me from doing it, but I just thought I'd mention it just in case they can find one cheap.

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A new early mustang tank is only like a hundred bucks from cj pony parts. That's what we used in Legend544's shoebox. Mine has a direct fit poly tank in it - don't remember from where, but was more than double that price.

24. 335.JPG
    inspiration pic , keep the updates coming!

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever since I discovered Evaporust, my tumbler has been sitting unused in the corner. The media wears out quickly, is dusty and expensive. If I were you, I'd save my money. A couple of tricks I have with Evaporust. I bought some stainless steel "Tea Balls" from Amazon that I use to contain small parts and nuts and bolts and suspend them in the Evaporust. Also, since it is always a little cool in my shop, I bought a couple of those quartz lamps I keep focused on the Evaporust; it keeps it warmer and it works better when it's warmer.

4" Tea Ball from Amazon

teaball.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    gijoe985 likes this.
  26. gijoe985

gijoe985

Good to know on the evaporust. We do have a tumbler with media. Maybe we can do test and compare results. Put half in one and half in the other and post our results.

27. gijoe985

gijoe985

Anyone have any suggestions for a generic (cheaper) weatherstripping option?

I also need to figure out what to do with the cloth covered "windlace" that goes around the doors on the inside. Are these things tack nailed in? Sure looks like it. This is a new adventure for me...

28. Most often the windlace is hand sewn out of the upholstery fabric on a bare foam coard with a flange to install with. It is held in by a metal strip with barbed teeth that screws to the inner frame work above the doors. Cut the headliner loose at the windlace between the headliner bows and you'll see it. The metal strip also holds the headliner in place.
    The Wizzard

29. gijoe985

gijoe985

Well, we tried starting the engine, with little to no firing at all. Went back and took compression tests. Got 40-60 on most cylinders. Had a 80 in one. Went in and put a bunch of MMO in and they all started going up, but not mnuch higher than 80psi. Had one at near 100. We may let it sit, maybe try some more, and see what we get. Didn't want to tire out the starter any more.

We got a slick deal on some black vinyl. I've got a kid training up on the sewing machine to see if we can start by doing some door panels.

I wanted to add this link for a cool DIY upholstery tutorial. Figured it'd be worth saving for later.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=eTnszNb1hoRPQPd5YD3vZA&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cGU

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  30. gijoe985

gijoe985

So, good news-

Door panels are coming off, we'll hopefully be cutting out new panels soon. They should look nice.

Bad news-
    Obviously there are a few new expenses that are popping up along the way. We will need new rubber for around the windshields, since we'll be removing them to do the headliner.

Also, not sure if we are going to be able to get this engine running. Thus far it doesn't even fire at all. After squirting oil in the cylinders we got many cylinders higher up, but still only around the 80psi range on the better ones. We'll need to try it again soon. Our batter charger needed some repair. Otherwise, we may be in need of a tear down... Not what we were hoping for, but in the end I"m sure we'll be happy.