Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 DeSoto Kustom Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lancer, Jan 9, 2015.

1. desotot

desotot

You could always build a
    homemade steel log style intake 4x2 setup.

2. George

George

Since the recession the price of OEM 4 & 2X4 intakes have dropped a lot, don't know if it was the recession or new intakes, but a big drop. Early 4X2s for Desoto are scarce. U-Fab may be a way to go.

3. Lancer

Lancer

I had looked at this one, one of the nicest looking ones I've seen around. These are $590. and in stock it says.
    [​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  4. Lots to work with there. Look at a diplomat rear end and a Valory/diplomat K member to bring the under pinnings up to date there all over the place easy update. very sweet ride

5. Lancer

Lancer

@plymouth1952 Thanks, the rear end was updated already. Just playing catch up with the pics. I put a 8.75 in it out of a mid 60s car. Matched the length perfectly, just had to move the perches for the sprints.

Most of the garbage is off the frame. Did some pressure washing and a lot of wire wheel.
    IMG_4540.jpg

Out with the old.
    IMG_5329.jpg

6. desotot

desotot

Nice 4x2 manifold, it would just need a stand alone thermostat housing.

7. desotot

desotot

I wish the floor in my merc project was as nice as your desoto floor.

8. Lancer

Lancer

@desotot Yes, was a very solid car when I found it, which is amazing since it sat for 30 years.

9. Good solid car, a good project.

10. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

Pricing them at $590, I'd say he has alot of'em in stock.

11. looking forward to your getting up to current on the build thread. I was following your classified ads and would have loved it if I had been in a position to buy the car when you were thinking of selling it a few years, or so, back. I am anxiously looking forward to seeing it now. I think this can be an incredibly kool car! Subscribed.

12. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

my setup in my 41 Plymouth from Vintage Speed, same intake like the picture, except I polished it.

Attached Files:

TailDrag and 1952B3b23 like this.
  13. Lancer

Lancer

@Greasemachine very nice. How was that to tune, or is it still in progress?

14. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks @Russ B I've tried a few times over the years to sell it as it has sat around so much. Its just never worked out, plus my kids love the car. They have been around it their whole lives so its kind of part of the family.

15. Thanks for the input on an intake guys. I'll check into that 4x2 one…is sure looks great all polished up on your engine Greasemachine!

16. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Thanks, I wasn't able to run it yet, still working on the car. The two center ones run permanently and the outer progressive. Charlie Price from Vintage speed did everything, stainless fuel lines, linkage, ready to put on. Mine are the real 97, but he makes nice new ones with his own parts. I changed the air cleaner now to the little Edmunds, the helmets seem to be too restricted.

17. A great up date on the brakes is mount a 1990 Mopar master on the frame where the stock mounted I used non power disks and drum car stoped on a dime.

18. Lancer

Lancer

@plymouth1952 The front brake upgrade was quite a chore. I'll get into that in a later post. Because of the safety clutch/brake pedal mount, I had to have a new bracket assembly built, since the pivot point for both pedals was the actual master cyl. itself. A big project to get done but I finally did. The car had factory power steering and power brakes. I also went with a manual disc/drum setup. I'm sure it will work great when I actually get to drive it.

19. We did the same with my 52 Ply. But i could not give up my clutch pedel even running the 904 it had to stay i love your ride did you use the newer styel Mopar remote to add brake fluid ? what trans are you using with that great looking motor ?

20. Lancer

Lancer

@plymouth1952 Yes, kept all the factory pedal, that was important to me. I like how they go down through the floor, which to me is a cleaner look than hanging pedals. The new MC was mounted where the old one was. I used a Corvette disc/drum master cyl. I cut into the floor for access. I still need to finish that part up. Its in progress. I looked at possibly doing the remote thing but ended up not doing it. We'll see how it goes.

The trans is the original Fluid Torque Drive. Not sure it works, that is still to be determined. From talking to others who have ran it its a pretty bullet proof setup from what I've been told. So, original engine and trans., but swapped out the rear.

OahuEli likes this.
  21. There strong thats sure. I did the remote thing i placed it low on the firewall down below the lip.
    its better then staining a new carpet. I used a bare bones wire kit in the car with a 49 ply dash with new gages
    the neet thing is you can use the clutch to change gears or lift the gas pedel to shift and you dont have to clutch to stop. a frend used a adepter with a 5 speed Dakota trans gets 19 MPH and runs hard with a 308 claysmith cam. what did you do with the brake lines I used a 2 lb residuale up front disk and a 10 Lb in the rear as the Master is still on the frame. didnt use a P valve

22. Lancer

Lancer

Yes, same setup with the brake lines as you have but I also have an adjustable proportioning valve for the back brakes so they can be tuned to match the discs. Don't want the rear locking up first. I have a Rebel Wire 6V kit I will be installing. Mine was/is a 6V positive ground system What was yours? I'll be converting to a 12v, I still need to sort that out. I'd like to hear more about that Dakota trans setup. Sounds pretty good.

Corvette Fever likes this.
  23. I did the 12 volt thing I used a 49 Ply dash and made a new face with new old stock tan faced gauges I used a volt drop for the gas. the adjust valve didnt work well for me so I just put the 10 Lb inline just in front of the brake switch. I used a 69 ford truck E brake on the stock rearend leads and the stock handel worked good. I also used a volt drop for the wipers and placed a 12 volt motor on the cowel vent. If you can find my albums there should be lots of shots of my car. I just came back after being gone a few years I am still learning the new format I am a Kustom fan and the ol mopars make such great rides. The adapter he used mated the 331 to a 5 speed trans at 75 its running at around 2000 Rpm. with a stock 308 rearend. I think there is or was a vender on the site for them. Think about the 12 volt its a good time for it for the sounds , heater updates , wipers , 6 volts lights are a pain and dim at best. if not 12 use a 8 volt Batt it helps. The wiring is unseen ! Lol my e mail is [email protected] I would love to see some shots. Bob

24. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking car and project .

25. Lancer

Lancer

More build pics, these are a few years old remember, trying to get it up to its current state. Fuel pump rebuilt, 8.75 Mopar will replace the original rear end. Wood grain dash. Pretty yucky. Will be striped and painted the color of the car. House of Kolors Kandy Tangerine. The 8.75 was a lucky find, the width is exactly the same as the original. I only have to move the spring perches inside. It will get everything new from bearings to seals to all new brake hardware, drums will be turned etc. New paint as well, a satin black to match the under carriage. IMG_5292.jpg IMG_5300.jpg IMG_5333.jpg

26. Lancer

Lancer

Few more update pics. Dash disassembled. Pulling the glass etc.

1454873_874040972646954_2934489320110517862_n.jpg 10947280_874041025980282_4166624736051959792_n.jpg 10888559_874040905980294_9215409779946654391_n.jpg

jakespeed63 likes this.
  27. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Noticed the grille is missing, you could put a merc grille in it, and realy mess people up! :)

28. Lancer

Lancer

@Maverick Daddy I have the grill but honestly, people are not going to know what it is anyway. They think DeSoto grills in Mercs are factory and no ones ever seen a chopped hardtop DeSoto. It will be interesting to listen to people try to figure out what it is once its done.

dearjose and Maverick Daddy like this.
  29. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Sorry, I had just scrolled thru, Good to know the original is still with her!

30. Lancer

Lancer

Thats actually why the grill was out when I purchased the car. Everyone wanted to just buy the grill or just the motor. No one wanted the whole package. He was afraid someone would steel it so he pulled it out and stuck it in his house. Glad he did.