Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1940 Ford Cutaway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 1940 Ford Cutaway

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. khead47

khead47

Thanks Ryan- very cool!

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Amazing how many folks missed the boat on this one.I had a Ford Skyliner with a clear plexiglass hood and a bunch of Point of Sale advertising materials in the trunk.I shopped it around locally,no interest.I sold it at the Barrett Jackson in the late 80s and it went to a good home.Maybe the Ford Museum might pull their craniums out of their rectums and buy this wonderful piece of history.Based on what rare prototypes bring down in Scottsdale,I know where I'd be taking it ;)

MUNDSTER likes this.
  4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm so torn. It's really, REALLY neat but... there's hardly a usable hot rod part on the thing!

5. Cool to see something like this restored!

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Don't know a thing about it, but what a beautiful restoration!

hugh m likes this.
  7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

seems to me it should be in the GNRS exhibit, eh?

HEMI32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It will be...

HEMI32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. What sane person wouldn't love to own that piece of history,I don't have a doubt in my mind this chassis wasn't displayed in one or multiple dealerships throughout the United States and had to be built by Ford Motor Company. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Way cool. I went to a trade school for high school and took auto mechanics. There was a cut away 59ab on an engine stand that looks like a match for this frame. Same color, very well done. Last time I inquired, it still existed and was in the possession of a former student! Tim

11. That is incredible! And what an intriguing mystery. Sure hope someone has some real information regarding it's heritage. Fascinating story.

i.rant and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Neat-O-Mosquito. Not only a killer piece of 1940 Ford history, but an overall great educational tool for understanding Flathead basics, Carb, Transmission, etc... Looking forward to seeing it in person.

13. iceman1

iceman1

Years ago I purchased a chrome front wishbone from a guy in Parkerford Pa. for my 40 I owned at the time the wishbone was done in show chrome. I asked the guy where it came from because at the time I couldn't imagine anyone going to the trouble of chroming a wshbone to this level of quality he said he came off a cut awaycar he had purchased from a guy over in north Jersey who told him that it was a Worlds Fair car for the Ford display.. The guy I purchased the wishbone told me that every part of the car was cut in half he stipped the car for any good parts and scrapped the rest. That head looks similar to what I saw hanging on his wall.

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Over here, technical collages/trade school, where you go to get your education as Mechanic/welder/carpenter/bicycle repair guy etc.
    Don't know what you call it, but I went there, and they had one of a English build ford on a frame, that could be turned over and you could see the inside/underside of everything, and half of the gearbox and differential was in clear plastic, so we could see it.

And it was custom the local driving school has access to it after hour, because it was part of the material for standard driving tests, up till mid-60s, you would pull a card, and explain one item in full, let's say transmission, rear end, brakes, karb, ignition, and point out five misc items. Then a fifteen-twenty questions of traffic signs. And the you past driving theory in oral (no
    Pun intended).
    The army got multiple set-up for the most popular vehicles, dodge power wagon, Willys jeeps, nimbus motorcycle, Mercedes unimog and verios parts for the deuce and half Chevy/jimmy trucks.

This is stupid to some and monster cool to some.
    I'm on the second team here, and you can put as the people who likes it, wants one and don't know a damn thing about this one.
    Maybe a dealers thing, for internal
    Sevice school

Sorry, can't help you on that ones story.

15. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

I feel that timwhit is on the right track. I took auto mechanics in high-school,and we had a complete chassis that was painted and had cut-aways on various parts as a teaching tool.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hadda be from the factory...what a nice job.

17. seatex

seatex

Man, that thing is pure JEWELRY!:cool::cool::cool:

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I bet the Early Ford V8 Foundation Museum in Auburn Indiana would give it a permanent home. What a great piece.

19. I love cutaways. It takes an insane amount of work to make them look that nice.
    And the over restoration of that one is OK in my books.
    Likely it wasn't chromed up that much originally.
    Very cool.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I agree that it is likely Ford built...Ford always made spectacular cutaways, at least back into the early thirties, that made production parts look like jewelry. I can remember looking at a sliced, diced, and generously chromed 427 (I think it had the 7,000 RPM kit with the funny lifters!) around 1964, and there were lots of other cutaways around. Some kind of new model intro show in DC area...I think my Father connected me and a friend into a slightly pre-intro flap of some kind for local dealers!
    Like all car nuts, I found it beautiful but mourned the death of a neat engine I would have swapped most of my body parts for...
    Like Iceman, my first thought on this was the '39-40 NY world's fair. There was a huge Ford exhibit with many cutaways...all useless to Ford after Fair shut down and 1941 cars came in.
    Donating to a university with an engineering program would have made a lot of sense. Thinking about routes to research...there is a lot around on that fair. And Ford produced a lot of paper about it.

21. my first thought when reading this, was the '39 worlds fair also. if so there must be pictures. probably hidden behind one of G.M.'s futureliners.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has to go to a museum, what the hell else can you do with it? Stunningly beautiful piece of work.

23. draider

draider
    from Texas

Very cool piece. I enjoy seeing content like this included on the JJ!

MUNDSTER likes this.
  24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I went to ISU in the late 80's/early 90's and remember that chassis well. I myself tried to buy it (and had Loren Muench as a professor) but couldn't find anyone that had any authority to sell it. It was never used in any of my classes and was just a dusty relic in an old storage section of the Industrial Tech department. Besides the chassis, there was also a cutaway of a 40's-50's Chevy 6 engine and some transmissions. All of these items certainly were from the factory because they were way too detailed with chromed parts that a college class couldn't afford to do. I always wondered what became of the chassis since the building it was stored in has since been torn down. Good to see it's still alive and wasn't parted out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Way cool yes!
    But, what about the B17 "fly over" photo at the bottom?
    What's the story on that pic???????
    Got it posted up as my desk top now.

26. alchemy

alchemy

I remember my little bro (Corn Fed) taking me into that dark back room at ISU to show me this chassis. He was an Industrial Engineering student and I was across campus in the Design College. I was blown away that ISU had it, and were keeping it in basically a barn stall. I always wondered what happened to it and heard at a swap meet in Boone, Iowa a few years after that it had been bought from the university. I don't recall exactly, but it might have been for sale at that time (maybe a pic in somebody's booth)? Anyway, I didn't have the $$ to buy it at that time.

I love that it has been restored rather than parted out or trashed.

27. Cool, another thing on my list to look at, at GNRS!

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

1958hotrod.jpg Here's a pic of a T roadster that was taken at ISU in the late 50's. It is supposedly of a professor and one of his students. I believe that it is in front of the same building where the chassis was stored when I saw it. I can only imagine that the professor and student used the chassis just behind that wall.

adam401, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  29. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Speedy Bill's museum has a bitchn cutaway of a blown Hemi. This would look good at their place in Lincoln, Neb.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. That thing is amazing. My dad made this one back in the 60's. He used it to teach me about the 4 strokes. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421877127.316831.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.