Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28A-roadster - the long winding road build !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sharpmark, Jan 20, 2015.

1. sharpmark

sharpmark

Its been 9 yrs since I took a fibre 28 body ,some 32 chassis rails , a 283 block an t350 and 4 wheels to Blackjack eng in kaukapakapa -up past the big smoke of Auckland and said "build me a rolling chassis".an insurance payout had given us a chunk of money ,I was busy on the farm and I was already stalled on a fibre model a coupe project so I thought this would get me on the road a lot faster.
    He did a great job and within 9 months - I picked it up and bought it home but life got in the way and it was parked in the corner with the coupe while I went thru a midlife crisis and got into motorcycles- adventure riding on a bmw 650 Dakar and then road touring on a Suzuki 800 marauder.
    Fast forward a few years and I was out of motorbikes , sold the fibre coupe project and bought a jigsaw puzzle steel 30A pickup project and sold the fibre 28A body and bought a steel one.
    So, as of today - the farm is sold , i'm semi-retired (working part-time as a fabricator/mechanic) and the pickup is finished, on the road and the roadster is being worked on again.
    some pictures of it patiently waiting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dean Lowe, kiwijeff and bct like this.
  2. Great looking pile of parts to start with. I see the basics, what kind of colors you thinking? Tim

3. This is look'in good! I like the wide whites.
    What steering box are you planning? I'm replacing the cheap no name Vega style box on our roadster with a quality box. Just wondering ...

4. sharpmark

sharpmark

Thanks - the plan is to paint the chassis and running gear - probably black and leave the body till its been on the road for awhile.
    the steering box is an hz holden box - very common here in New Zealand and similar to your vega box .

5. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good. Shouldn't take long Brakes ,steering, wiring cooling. Do you have the title worked out?

6. brady1929

brady1929

I love 28/29 ford roadsters

7. Bader2

Bader2

Is that why you bought a 30?^^^^^^

8. sharpmark

sharpmark

been working on the 283 mtr. I built the short block 7 yrs ago and wrapped it in plastic and just before xmas pulled it out of its wrapping and finished assembling it.
    its bored 40 over , has flattop pistons , 10/10 on the bearings , new cam bearings and 350hp gm cam and anti pump lifters.
    when I took the plastic off it was in great condition with just a little surface rust on one head face which polished off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. sharpmark

sharpmark

decided to go with 305 heads and so took them into a head shop and had them checked and reco'd with new exhaust seats and springs. also had a smallbase 2cg Rochester reco'd as this is what I will run it in on and use to get on the road and legal and then will change to a 4 2-barrel setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and bct like this.
  10. sharpmark

sharpmark

Had the tyres mounted with the whitewalls out on one side and hidden on the other - not sure which I like at the moment. Won't be buying any tyres until its nearly ready to go the road !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sharpmark

sharpmark

when I took the bits to the chassis builder I supplied a smblk and t350 to help him set it up properly .
    when it came back and was sitting in the dead project corner I had another t350 sitting on the floor, so to make myself think I was making progress I decided to get it fully rebuilt with extra clutches etc etc - whatever the transmission wizards say you need!!!
    well prior to this xmas -after finishing the build on the new 283 , I decided to swap the old set up stuff out with the new mtr/trans and get the driveshaft built . So ,job done and measurements carefully taken -came home with a new driveshaft and went to fit it up .BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER
    Who would have thought there were different length t350's ????????????????????????
    I supplied a short shaft t350 and I rebuilt a longshaft t350 --women are right -- a couple of inches makes a big difference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 steps forward - - - 8 backwards !!!!!!

12. sharpmark

sharpmark

I'm getting there slowly!
    titles are a bit different over here and it will go thru a certification process which basically makes it a new car without a lot of the hassles eg emmisions/crushzones/etc etc.

yip, I'm with you there but unfortunately I also like a lot of other cars too.
    my little collection !!!

[​IMG]

thanks.

13. sharpmark

sharpmark

still working on this an catching up the photos to where I'm at now.
    found the short shaft t350 that was used to setup chassis - it was in one of my storage containers. pulled it out and apart from the chrome deepened pan having some scratches and dents, it looked alright and the oil smelled fine.
    So I pulled the pan -everything looked fine - put a new filter and gaskets and panelbeated the pan and bolted it back up and then painted the case and installed it behind the motor. should be good to go hopefully.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sharpmark

sharpmark

Started doing the brakes.
    Using a Subaru vacuum servo and a new holden master cylinder , so there was abit of fabricating to do to make it fit. the Subaru had 4- bolts holding the mastercylinder on and two were in the right place but too small and the other two were hacksawed off. Drilled out the smaller bolts and replaced with the right size and checked out the rest of it - reassembled it and its good to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and KiwiGlen like this.
  15. kelzweld

kelzweld

Looking good Mark :)

16. sharpmark

sharpmark

thanks mate - whats happening with yours? have you been sidetracked by that 2-wheel tractor and that other project.
    if your not careful ,you'll end up like me with too much going on and nothing happening !!!!

17. sharpmark

sharpmark

Been running the brake lines today. an interesting job that's not to difficult as long as you take your time.
    Still have to sort out what I will use to hold the piping to the chassis rail but happy so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KiwiGlen likes this.
  18. sharpmark

sharpmark

So , we're up to date and this is how it sits in the garage now. next plan is to pull the motor/box again and drill the holes for the brakeline clamps as well as the fuel line and battery cable clamps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  19. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That A Model body looks to be in great shape! Amazing.

20. sharpmark

sharpmark

thanks - I was lucky to find it and only appreciated it after seeing on here how bad some of the bodies are!
    even the fuel tank is in great condition and I will be using it again.

63fairlane likes this.
  21. Roger53

Roger53

Great looking build keep the pic's a coming.Roger

22. jimbo121

jimbo121

Looks great. That body is in really good nick

23. Any chance of an update, please?

24. sharpmark

sharpmark

things are abit slow on the roadster front. I wanted to get into some bodywork with the floors and panel around the back seat area so decided to practice on some mismashed panels I had lying around , that would become a modified and have now become engrossed with finishing that off. I must say i'm easily distracted !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. sharpmark

sharpmark

Testing photos on my old thread. 20240108_091235.jpg

26. sharpmark

sharpmark

27. sharpmark