Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I hate my tail lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jan 19, 2015.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I second the 41 stude treatment.

2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Four taillights on a mostly stock bodied '39 look odd. It is a mixed theme.

Fill two holes and run '54 Buick lenses recessed in the opening, IMHO.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. 3spd

3spd

Here are my thoughts:

Add a 3rd on each side above them and tunnel them in further. I think this would help to make them look more integrated in the design and not just stuck in, also things in 3's generally look better. Also I think adding bumper would help break up all the red.

Ryland

4. No one has pointed out the obvious here, that car is basically finished. Anything other then modifying the existing lights or finding something suitable to fit in the holes is going to require a repaint.

If it were mine I would consider finding a light that was not as long and about the same diameter or o would be all for shortening those down as much as possible which would involve loosing the chrome bezel completely.

Model T1 likes this.
  5. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Here was my thought. Yep, redo and paint. Mistakes cost money and time.
    39 t-l.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  6. Could always Sell it and start over.

Getting the lenses deeper will really cut the angular visibility of the tailights, that would bother me.

7. What does the rest of the car look like?

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with HRP-fix and install stock type lights-more work but a more desirable outcome.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. I wouldn't sweat the side vision thing. That is just the cost of cool.

Most of the time when cad lights were used way back when they were still cool they were not done straight out, they were sunk in toward the side so that you could see the side of the lense but they were never stuck out past the sheet metal, at least not on a car that was more then just scabbed together.

No offense intended mind you.

10. if your gonna go through the trouble of removing the lower one you might as well kill two birds with one stone,,fill them in and install a set of 39 tail lights. HRP

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. I probably shouldn't say this but on a boat fender car I like the 40 Chevrons.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I put 61 Pontiac lenses on my Chevy , maybe they would be a temporary fix here too? I agree that you need to do some bodywork and put some 39 or 40 lights on it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421703563.983004.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. How can you argue with a guy who's got so much cool shit ?

Moriarity likes this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

If you're gonna redo em anyway, try 59 or 60 Corvette.

15. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

Couple guys mentioned '41 Stude's. That's what's on my '40...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421706324.659794.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  16. Model T1

Model T1

Well since the holes are already there and the car is painted the only choice is something like 53 Buick or similar that fit flush or recessed.
    I also thought I'd like those Caddy lenses. As mentioned they only look good recessed with the sides exposed.
    Sort of like a cute young gal with side boob!
    Personally I'd bet 39 Ford tail ights would look nice there.

17. There is really no way to fix that other than a redo or it will still look basically the same. I agree with the others that 39 or 40 lights would look the best. Sometimes you just can't improve on the original design.
    It all a matter of opinion and since you didn't listen the first time, you will do it your way anyhoo...:rolleyes:

18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

My thought was that if he is going for custom lights, here was a solution. My digital revision was to show what removing two lights would look like. But, I agree the original '39 lights are the best design. It is hard to beat the Ford originals on this coupe.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

To me nothing looks right back there. The deck lid is wonky and the back panel isn't straight. If you're OK with that and don't want to do any more paint work as you say, change the lenses and be done, 'cause to really be good it needs more attention than the lights.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. mj40's

mj40's

I agree with the stock 40's. Just feel lucky that you didn't put a set of early Mustang units in there.

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Fucken eh thats the ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. My first vote would be redo with chevrons but to use what ya got how about bring your exhaust tips thru the bottom holes and change the top to something like the Buicks or anything more flush.

23. Looks like mixed metaphors.
    No easy way out now. ..
    If it were my car I'd just go back to the stock lights. And feel very chipper about it.........

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I read through this thread, the above is what I was thinking the whole time and I would have to be the (inset favorite "four letter" adjective here) to point out the obvious. The back of this car is not all well finished, either metalwork or paint, which is enough to justify correcting that and the taillights.

Ray

25. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I like 59 Caddy lights .....on 59 Caddys

26. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Try setting them all to the same profile, too. They are each at a different stance, evening them up would help, but....
    I, too, thought about reverse mounting the points. And I'd be crazy enough to do it!

27. Jason455

Jason455

I would sink them so the tips just stick out. If you're not happy then look at other options.

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm not trying to pick on the car, but it looks as though the tailpan has a lot of lumpy damage across the pan just under the trunk lid line.
    Deep six the taillights for Chevrons or 41 Studes, straighten out the pan and then color match the entire back from the trunk lid down.

young'n'poor and Hnstray like this.
  29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

They're on there....what can you do besides taking them off? I think I know what you were going for but ....

The smoothie look just draws the eye to those lights and not in a good way. It looks like an 80s afterthought ... readers rides Street Rodder 1989. It looks unfinished like something is busy or like something is missing.

Put the bumper and trunk hardware back on it. It might actually complete the look you were going for. That look being 1962.

Jigger and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. Muttley

Muttley

Throw the Cadillac lights in the nearest dumpster, then toss in some cinder blocks on top of them so no RatRoderzzzzzzzzz can dig them out and slap them on some unholy creation.

X38, Saxman, Hnstray and 2 others like this.