Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Roads 1955

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

American Roads 1955

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

HEMI32 likes this.
  2. Life was a lot less complicated and simpler.

Thanks for the journey back to the good old days. HRP

3. 2935ford

2935ford

thankfully.....around here there are still lots of open back roads to run the old hot rods around on.....so to me.....the "good ol' days" are right now!

4. birdman1

birdman1

We lived right along Highway 59 in Iowa in the 50's. No speed limit until I think 1957 or8. jThen they set the speed limit at 75MPH. I had many races on my way to and from town on Saturday nights.

5. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Jive-Bomber: Thanks for finding and posting these. "American Roads" as a real treat. I love driving and just looking at stuff go by. Compared to driving fifty years ago I think we all still notice the same things.

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

Same around here.And the cops always go easy on the traditional crowd. ;)

7. 1955, in the first clip; "a phone in every room" sign at the hotel
    2015, "wifi in every room" sign at a hotel.
    is the tree still around that you can drive through?

8. Great post, Jive-Bomber! Being one of the "lucky ones" to have grown up in Southern California in the 50's, that 1st video evokes a lot of memories. We spent a lot of time traveling Highway 99 up through Bakersfield and Fresno, on our way to Yosemite. Made many trips through that tunnel into Yosemite Valley.
    I grew up, not far from Rte. 66, in Baldwin Park & Covina near Irwindale, Pomona and Fontana, the beaches and the mountains! As I have said many, many times "I don't think that there could have been a better time or place to have been a teen".
    When you find that time machine, let me know! I'll go with you...

9. Only three drive-thru trees remain in California, all on the Redwood Coast ...

chandelier tree.jpg
    "Chandelier Tree" - Leggett, CA

shrine tree.jpg
    "Shrine Tree" - Myers Flat, CA
    Tour Thru Tree, Klamath, California.jpg
    "Tour Thru Tree" - Klamath, CA​

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. that sure brought back some memories! I've been through central ca a few times, would love to go again. I still recall all the hype about Chevy's new v8! That was really cool, thanks.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

1955.......I was still a dream in the old mans mind. Didn't get here until 1959, so the 50's are just pics to me. From what I've seen, they were a lot like the late 60's and early 70's that I remember around here. Living in a rural area all my life, there's always been a back road to let one loose on. I've been to Cali about 30 years ago, didn't see anything worth staying out there for.................

badgascoupe likes this.
  12. bako48

bako48

that's was a really cool pic of the old Bakersfield sign before it was moved. my mom grew up and lived those little apartments in the right side of the pic. I've only been lucky enough to hear stories of the " good ol' days"

13. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

Great movie!! Thanks...... Growing up in rural Maine.....I was born in '58.....I can remember when the 10 or 12 towns around me got their first stop lights......still plenty of two lane roads here.....MARK

badgascoupe likes this.
  14. roughneck424

roughneck424

In the "Good Old Days" I wasn't good or old. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I love watching old clips of California. How different it was 60 plus years ago.

16. SlamIam

SlamIam

Growing up in Central CA in the 50-60s our 3 policemen were WW2 vets just like our dads. "Kids will be kids" they said, not like now where it seems society is just waiting to throw the book at a kid with "zero tolerance." First time our police stopped you they would let you off with a warning and told you to take your racing outside the city limits. Second time, well, you got the ticket AND they called your father. We set up on a street 1 block outside the city limit and raced there every Friday and Saturday night for years without interference. Cars were slower, and nobody ever got killed there. Only law in the county areas was a constable that did not see traffic stops as part of his duty. State police (CHP) only patrolled state highways, not country roads like now. I like many other boys got a conditional driver's license at 14 because we showed the judge we had a job to drive to. A kid 14 years old could actually get a good after-school job then. Was a wonderful time to be a kid.

17. hotrodnick

hotrodnick

It sucks than a 14 year old kid like my can't cet a job now by the way really cool find I want one now as well

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. who writes your resume?