Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile Fly wheel question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Torchie, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Torchie

Torchie

Posted earlier in regards to Olds rocket to early Ford trans swap. This question is in regards to a flywheel to use for that swap.
    Picked up this NOS Olds 176 tooth flywheel to use on my 1954 324 Olds engine. Flywheel is drilled to match up with the Ford"Long" style PP. My question is. Whats with the holes with the slotted screws in them. I can't say that I've ever come across this before and neither has the shop that turned the wheel for me. Seems like to many to be used as placement pins plus when the PP is put on it covers one of the holes with the screws in it.
    Any and all insight or answers are appreciated. IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0957.JPG
    Torchie.

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Looks like they are just fillers in holes that were drilled for another type clutch,or drilled wrong.

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

or backups if you booger one of the holes in the other set, pull the screws and rotate the clutch slightly.

4. Torchie

Torchie

I don't think that it was mis drilled as the holes are all evenly spaced just moved over.
    What ever it is I have never seen another one like it.
    Wonder if it is perhaps a "Racing " Flywheel and drilled for a heavy duty racing clutch.
    Torchie.

5. saltracer219

saltracer219

Perhaps Tony from Ross Racing will chime in on this... I would be curious to know also.

6. Torchie

Torchie

I've posted on a couple of other sites and so far no one has an answer. The mystery continues....
    Torchie.

7. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

its not NOS.....its used....so no telling what somebody has done...... that being said....is one set of holes 5/16 and the other 3/8 thread ?........a ford long pressure plate can have either........wheel was prob redrilled for the 3/8 and extra set plugged ......why?...who knows... its not factory

Speedy Canuck and 302GMC like this.
  8. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the reply GOATROPERO2
    I haven't checked the diameter of the holes although just from eyeballing it one set does appear a different size from the other.
    I didn't think that it was Factory. Just trying to figure out something that I have never seen before. If it was used it sure doesn't show signs of being used much. A light turning cleaned it up nicely.
    Torchie.