Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1947 Ford PU, Outside Door Handle Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48FordFanatic, Jan 18, 2015.

1. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Trying to remove the outside door handle of a 1947 Ford PU. Everything is loose, I've got the bottom of the door removed for patch panels and I can see the handle move in and out about 1/2 inch in the latch mechanism but it won't come out . It seems like the square shaft of the handle should slide right out of the latch once the handle is unbolted from the door . Any help would be greatly appreciated. John

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Yes it should slide out, but sometimes that square shaft gets twisted when the mechanisms seize up and somebody reefs on the handles to try and open the doors. Shine a flashlight down from the glass crack and might be able to see if that's what's goin on.

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Oldrelics you were right . The square shaft was twisted. I hated to do it but I had to cut off the handle then cut the square shaft again from inside the door with a hacksaw. Thanks.

4. Sometimes especially on a truck that has seen its share of back roads that get a build up of crap on the shaft as well as getting twisted. You may have to give the end of the shaft a good cleaning.