Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jimmy Shine 34 Ford Pickup at Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota Kid, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nobody has thanked the second highest bidder, without him there would be no record setting sale. Bob

2. Blown35

Blown35

I agree - I think it is great that he fetched that price - hopefully hot rods gain more appreciation by the mainstream to reflect appropriate values when they are offered for sale - tricky part is that value is in the eye of the beholder so what is top value to one potential buyers willingness to pay - might be $0 value to someone else who has a different perspective of whats cool and well executed.

3. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Cool he sold it for that money. Car is ok, but not my style. What I do not get is that the TLB Chevy only hit 145k. Compared to junk they sold at that auction I do not get it. Would be my No1 car in the world.

But I heard that a real TLB fan bought it, which is cool again.

4. I am a big fan of jimmy, and glad for him. I just guess I was really shocked at the amount of money the truck brought . But if it is positive for old style hot rods, then this is a good thing. Hope the new owner takes good care of her and it would be a shame if the truck was changed, but it is his to do with what he wants.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How many of you have actually seen this truck in person? I have.

There is a lot of hype surrounding it, not all of it deserved.

Good for Jimmy for selling it for that kinda cash but try not to put it on a pedestal.

The celebrity car auctions have done rodding no favours. Most of the project cars you go and find these days are inflated in price "Cause one sold on Barrett Jackson"

6. dumprat. That is a interesting point. B J has given a lot of people the impression that there car is worth a huge amount of money. When in reality it is only worth what some one is willing to pay!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Well, I'm happy for the guy. I have no idea how much he had in the little truck but if he made a profit, I applaud it. After all, it's capitalism at it's best and that's what makes out economy thrive.
    In the back of my mind, I gotta wonder how much I could have gotten for my old 33 if it had gone to auction. 33atspeed.jpg

8. funk 49

funk 49

Televised auctions like Jackson and Mecum, and T.V. shows like Pickers falsely inflate the market
    to begin with and only help any of us at sale time. Add a little celebrity and history and more than one interested person in the room and this is the result. Take the money while
    you can because it all ends up being "the flavor of the day" until the market finds the new "hot". Don't often hear,I sold that car for too much money and I should hunt the buyer down and give him a refund.

Merlin likes this.
  9. ............True words.

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I just saw a dead horse. I think he was beat to death.

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After auction fees ..let me see - $ 82.00 in bills and lets see .66 in change in my pocket.

So your truck $ 82.66 !!!!!
    Bwhaaaa I crack myself up.

I liked and miss your adventures of that ol' truck Rock.

12. Good for him! I'm proud of anyone that makes something form old steel and a vision and comes out the winner. I never seen what the starting bid was. Did any see that?

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

B.J. and Mecum are doing what they set out to do... sell their service for sellers and buyers to gather along with entertainment and make a profit with their product / service hoping you in turn take your car to them to sell, so you make money and they make money.

If buyer and seller are happy - why not - I'm all for it.
    Capitalism at it's finest......

14. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

image.jpg

15. Southfork

Southfork

Rocky your '33 pickup was an inspiration! I loved it and I still refer to the build notes that you posted on the HAMB.

16. blackout

blackout

I have never been able to find somebody that stupid to buy any of my cars.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don, that is where you are very very ignorant and completely wrong, there aren't any more like it. Everything else is just an imitation. He did it first, or if not first he did it the best.

Money is incidental at that level, not saying it is a Goya or a Dali, but it is artistic expression and apparently has value to someone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I think it started at 50k. They moved it across the block pretty quick.

19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Nice strong price on the truck, well deserved. I think the ties to SoCal speed shop heritage really helped the bidding.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It would be interesting how many shirts and coats have been sold with the Jimmy Shine -So-Cal Speed Sop logo with his truck on it. The numbers would surprise you. And to say that`s not inspirational. A whole clothing line based off of one truck.

21. trollst

trollst

The problem I have is this.....what we are talking about here is a well built hot rod, certainly not worth that kind of money. Few would argue that, but the whole auction thing is slowly killing our hobby, I'm older, used to watch unobtainable cars go for huge money, cars I knew and most of the audience knew they could never have but was great fun to see cars I never even heard of come out of the woodwork or a showcase of a renowned restorer, all sold to collectors at auction, to go usually to a collection or museum. Hence the big dollars. No problem there, but look around now, the majority of the hot rods and customs around belong to us older guys who can afford them, not saying all, but the hobby has gotten to the point where a young man can only start with junk the rest of us pass by because that's all they can afford. Finding an old muscle car in a garage isn't gonna happen with most of our younger guys, hell, I had a 70 hemi cuda when I was real young, back when these cars were driven, I drove it a summer and got rid of it for two reasons, the first, I needed three friends on a Saturday night to cruise to help with gas, second, the car drove terrible, hugely uncomfortable, poor seating, very poor brakes, wouldn't go around a corner without scaring the shit out of you. That's why todays aftermarket handles everything needed to make these cars truly driveable. To me, its merely an old car I had in my youth, much like my uncles 55 chev was when I grew up, its certainly not unobtainium material, except for the prices drawn at auction.
    I feel for the younger set, we need to welcome them into our hobby, a hobby that has, all my life been affordable, a 33 ford pickup should be a great, affordable starting point, not something coveted by the current owner because he saw one on B.J. go for huge. Again, great for Mr Shine, bad for us. Just my two cents.

22. mountainman2

mountainman2

I would bet that Jimmy would build him a "duplicate" for a LOT less money...............

sko_ford likes this.
  23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

That truck really isn't my thing , but it was trendsetting... That truck was the reason 32-34 pickup cabs went from 500 to 3,000 within two years...

In about 02-06 it seemed everyone wanted to build a " shine truck" many failed miserablely I don't nessesarily think it was worth it , but I build stuff....

Some look at it as art and if you went to so-cal and wanted to have a clone of that truck built by the origional artist I can garentee you it would cost more than 250k , so this guy got the origional cheaper and didnt have to wait... He may even see that as a pretty big win!

Sure I'm jealous I wish people wanted to pay me more than 5 bucks to work on their stuff ... Which is probably where most the hater comments come from on here also

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's no way this is bad for "us". I don't see it. It's bad for the guy who's longed for something for years, yet now he's in a lower paying job, his ol lady's laid off, gas has been near $4 a gallon for a long time, and he's probably in
    his 20s. Fast forward to us old bastards who never throw shit away, have 1 or 4 "projects" that have serious potential, reached a point in life where we can maybe do something with it/them. Doesn't something like this motivate? It should. I watched one of my old restorations go across the block a couple years ago. It was 17yrs old then and brought nearly full market, and purchased by someone who's sharp about the game. Did he overpay or does QUALITY ALWAYS SELL HIGHER? I did the car to last for decades and was damn proud to see it did. Watch 2 Hugger Orange Camaros cross the block. 1 brings 50% more than the other and on TV they both look good. The higher one was in better shape, a more 'honest' car, the other most likely an auction whore that's been passed around. There's a ton of answers to this topic be it Mr Shine's truck, a Duesenberg, a Ferrari, a GTO, or a hot rod. Do the best you can and you win. He did, and he did.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If something sells for a price, it was worth that price.

Get over it.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  26. You are entitled to your opinion but referring to Don as ignorant and wrong is just that... your opinion!

We are all capable of civility and this was uncalled for. HRP

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sacré blu! In a thread of tripe, you try to bring civility! In the land of second guessing keyboard whiners you want to protect them? This thread is total bs. 99.8% of the people on this thread don't have the bank balance to even make an informed bias let alone an opinion on this topic. This is a collection of internet prejudice. This is a stinking pool of internet hogwash.

And you off all people have been here long enough...

28. 117harv

117harv

This is the type of post that make folks talk bad about the HAMB. I promote this site when I can, I hear often in the real world and on other sites that the HAMB is just a bunch of a holes, when it clearly isn't. ..sad.

29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

When you guys start sniping at each other.... it turns to drama and that's when a post gets closed.

So.....closed.

Cool it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.