Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 33-34 Ford coupe bodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ss34coupe, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Goooooood damn this is dead set perfection. I love my '28 Roadster and all.. but that coupe is simply incredible.

2. Yeah but I just want it all :D

MAD 034 likes this.
  3. Have you checked with Tom bay @ rj enterprises

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks 31Vicky, do you have any direct contact information - I understand that Tom Bay does not have a website. Here is another pic of the coupe I was lucky enough to get recently. photo 1.JPG

joakimnj and Chucky like this.
  5. Ss34coupe , unable to initiate conversation with you.
    Something with your settings.

6. I had the same message

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sorry guys, not sure what that is about, I will try to fix it. Chris, I sent you a message a few days ago and it seemed to go through but I guess you did not get it. Steve

Ok, I think I have fixed it - so give it a try again Chris and 31Vicky.

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit to get working on this one - the coupe body has never been touched or modified, and that is the main reason I bought it. Will post pics and probably a thread as we get into spring time. IMG_0654.JPG

Roadsir likes this.
  9. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

R&J Enterprises
    6034 302 Rd Arkansas City KS
    620-441-0032
    Fax: 620-307-6086
    [email protected]
    He has a hell of an operation!!! Tom doesn't make the sub-rails, a gentleman in McPherson KS does, but Tom sells them. They are fairly well made, I found that one of the holes for the door frame post is miss-located and there are some sight mods that need to be made. But overall they are not bad.
    Nice car, what do you have in mine for it?

10. Love the landscaping!..the car ain't bad either. Are you watching the thread on the auction at Titusville?

11. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ss34coupe Real nice looking body!!! I also tried to send an e-mail but for some reason you have a restriction?

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

JSeery - thanks for the contact info on Tom Bay. Appreciate it very much.
    Tim - no, not following that particular auction - got too much stuff as it is. Thanks for the comment on the landscaping, but I can tell you it is not because of me - I know how to mow the lawn and that is about it.
    coupe33 - try messaging me through this site, it should work.

13. 3030

Here is my three sorry the one has a back seat

Attached Files:

Roadsir likes this.
  14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

3030 - very nice collection of Model 40s!

Here is a pic of Todd and John dropping the coupe off at my place a couple of months ago - they are taking the front axle setup off because it did not go with the car. Looking at the camera is local hot rod legend Johnny A - who appears to be saying "a flathead would look nice in here". I agree, so the hunt is on for the right flathead motor. Still lots of work to do before then, the body comes off the frame next, the frame will then be taken completely apart and sandblasted. Will post pics as it happens. IMG_0655.JPG

Flowmeister likes this.
  15. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somebody on here said that 33/34 bodies are going for for 17 k is that true? On average what is the going rate. I only ask because I have one and was wondering what it would be worth finished? I don't know if I would ever sell but when I am gone the wife would........

16. http://www.mcphersonauto.com/33-34subrails.html

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

coupe33 - price for a coupe body varies greatly depending on condition - the figure you mention is not out of line for a decent condition body, and on the low side for one that is in very good shape. Don't build your coupe for the money, do it because you love it!

31Vicky - thanks for the contact info!

bobbooth and Kirk Hanning like this.
  18. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The body I have was cut apart at the seams a very long time ago!
    The first problem is the frame so I will try to save it. I have a 46 Rear assembly and a 35 front assembly a Cad 390 so it is a good start.
    The second problem is no subrails or floor money can fix this.
    The third problem is finding a Competant Body Man to put the body back together. The Biggest problem.
    I do not want to destroy the body and it has not been outside in the 22 years I have had it. I just looked it up.
    When I purchased it the conversation was that a previous owner (about 10 back) had cut it apart because he only had a shed to store it in.
    I can probably get the frame right and worse case put new rails. As I said before a RR guy turned it down for free. I understand about only building it if I want it and it should not be a money thing but money comes into play and finding somebody that can do the job without my having to take out a second mortgage.
    I talked with the frame guy about putting it together and he only wanted $4000 with him building the frame the floor and subfloor but I asked around and everybody that has had dealings with him said to pass. As far as I am concerned there will only be one shot at getting it right!!!
    The biggest problem with the internet is distance. I have seen quite a few competant body men over the last 10 years on the forum but they are never within a reasonably distance so I could watch over them.

19. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

20. All great points.
    So I have a few questions that might help you think it thru.
    What's a "reasonable" distance ?

If you were to hire this out to a top notch metal man, what could you add to the project by watching over them?

If you were to hire this out to a someone less than top notch who may agree to do it cheaper and take longer& and deliver less quality and may be of questionable character, what could you add or gain to the project by watching over them? Certainly your presence isn't going to add to their skill or character so it must be that you'd like to know how bad you might be getting raked and be able to pull the plug shortly after things get bad.
    Now would that be worth a few extra bucks ? Idk everybody is different

21. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand what you are saying and at one point I would agree. My problem is I dealt with a speed shop for over ten years and he went out of buisness. I ended up out a pile of money and lost a lot of time. I ended up fighting just to get my stuff back. So without a lot of drama I find it hard to deal with anybody I can't reach out to. The last round was a bit much and it was 15 years ago!
    I have been impressed with the work done on that coupe that you pointed out and my car (parts ) is in the same boat.
    I don't need to see what they are doing and I could never add value to the assembly but I need to know I will get it back.. As far as questional quality I have seen it in my work and rework otherwise I would put the 34 together myself. I will ask you what is a reasonable time and cost for good work. is? It is still a total assembly.

22. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Heres my .o2, coupe33 even though you didn't ask for it. Firstly, you bought the project , albeit cut apart 10 owners ago, knowing it was a major project to begin with. Obviously it is solid and not rusted to pieces and in the dry. If you have the original frame, then you have a pattern for sure where the floor mounts and where the cowl feet mount. I would definitely be tempted to assemble the floor myself and the rest can be measured by any one of us with an unfinished car, and tacked together. I do not know the condition of your coupe, but I do know that if I couldn't trust it with a substandard body man as you say, and didn't want to shell out the coins for a top-notch builder, then I would buy a mig and get started. LOTS of threads on here of 33-34 coupe builds to study. And yes to answer a question that you have already an answer for: 33-34 coupes are priced in the stratosphere and they are only going to get higher.

23. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.02 accepted after all it is a forum. I plan on salvaging the frame and going from there. Just wondering what a reasonable time frrame and cost for putting the body back together. I have the welders but do not want to screw it up. There is no rust to repair the doors are also pristine. A welder is not a body man. I have had it for 22 years and I knew it was a big project from the start. I will start in the spring as I have been offered a frame table and right now it is not available. A regular body shop gets them and out but it takes a lot more than throwing a patch or changing a door / trunk lid. There are enough cars just in this thread to see examples of the quality work others have done.
    But thanks!

24. I'd say that greatly depends on how and where it was cut, and into how many pieces also.
    What about the inner structure?
    If you had some pictures it might help a little to get a handle on answering your questions.
    If everything is there and not fucked up - I can't imagine it taking a competent craftsman longer than a month to get looking like a car again. Finding any missing parts, fixing unacceptable parts, will add time accordingly.

When exactly , how long ago did this RR fella turn it down for free? There's a bunch of money just in the parts, panels, and doors. You'd probably have no trouble at all selling every single bit of it and not 1 piece to the same person. Hard to imagine someone wouldn't take it for free. But lots can happen in 10 changes of ownership.

25. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

My project

Attached Files:

26. Retro61

Retro61

Nice Toy-Toybox!

27. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31Vicky just the frame was offered! I have an after market frame so I offered the beat up frame. I am not going to use the street rod frame and will go to an original. What few pieces that I needed have been picked up over the years. Dash, garish, gas tank gauges, extra hinges, seat frame and hood. Other than that it is just missing the floor pieces and it is rust free. I at least have a ballpark idea of a time frame. Thanks

28. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Looking for my cousins 34 Ford coup that I built for him except for the body work and paint. It had a filled roof, 4 link dropped front axle w/ mustang box and Mustang 4 piston calipers. Mustang rear w/ 4 link and coil springs. SBC /Turbo 350 trans. Dark Blue w/grey interior. The stock firewall was taken out when he bought the body and a flat firewall welded in following the contour of the cowl. My cousin Richie Balsamo died some 15 years ago and I never knew where the car went. It was sold on LI around 1983 the Rich moved to Fla.

Got some pictures of my cousins 34 Ford coupe from a friend in Fla. It was dark blue at the time circa 1980 I think he sold it around 1985 give or take . Hopefully someone will recognize it.

Thanks, Pat

Attached Files:

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

1934coupe - good luck with your search. Hopefully someone here can come up with some info for you.
    That was (and likely still is) a very nice coupe!

30. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Here's an old hot rod I just rescued, will get to it... Wish I knew its stories, lead filled cowl and decklid. Was heavily channeled. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426110834.176513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426110770.986463.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426110796.433442.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!