Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jimmy Shine 34 Ford Pickup at Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota Kid, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Boner

A Boner

The bare metal was probably a pain to maintain, but it couldn't be painted because it was a bare metal trendsetter when first built. Bet he was just tired of being the caretaker and decided it was time to pass it on.

2. Hey, I'm glad Jimmy was able to get that kind of money but it seems to me some people have more money than sense. I talked with Jimmy at length about the truck a couple of years ago at SEMA and I got to really look that truck over good. It's a bitchin' truck, bit it ain't 250k worth of bitchin.

mctim64 likes this.
  3. trollst

trollst

Glad for Mr Shine, but its a sad commentary that we live in a time where the owner of said vehicle is a t.v. personality who's fame alone can command a completely ridiculous price for what would otherwise be a nice maybe above average build. Makes my 36 ford pickup look like its worth half a million, many of us own outstanding vehicles but don't have the fame to go with it. Good on him, I prefer to lay low.

loudbang likes this.
  4. funk 49

funk 49

In the interview at Barrett Jimmy said he is funding a dry lake car
    he is building for his father to run 200mph.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I would liked that truck better if he had done what he started out too do,but got talked out of,was to paint it nice an shiny,not leve it bear metal.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nice enough looking truck but that price? Someone bought a name, a celebrity artifact. When the name fades the truer value of the vehicle will surface and someone will take a loss unless another idiot is found!

7. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

amazing price. nice truck. good for him.

8. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Some of you guys kill me. The man built a killer hot rod that has/will have serious historical significance. He then built his career off the attention his truck got. He decides to sell it for a ton of money and people feel the need to make snide comments. How about just being happy for the guy?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    WiredSpider, seadog and EV34 like this.
  9. It's all relative guys....when you have that kind of discretionary income 250k is a drop in the bucket for some of these buyers/investors....like Richard Childress buying that 600k German import at the auction and it is going into his collection never to be driven (he said). Like Warren Buffet says...when you got it you can spend it!

10. .............I would agree that it's a killer hot rod, I'm just doubtful that it will have serious historical significance.

olcurmdgeon and 56don like this.
  11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We have to realize that not everyone in this world lives paycheck to paycheck, as evidenced by the Ron Pratt collection. I'm sure some people think we are crazy for the amounts of money we spend on our cars, after all, they are just old cars. :)

Bottom line is, the new owner wanted it, could afford it, and was willing to spend whatever it took to get it. If that guys wife is sitting there smiling when he bought it, you can bet they didn't use the kid's college money to do it.

Don

dana barlow likes this.
  12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So this thing we all like on these pages is getting some due street cred with regard to value. Yeah, that sucks big time. Now your car/truck can be worth more when the day comes. And don't give us that "...don't care I'll never sell..." BS. A day may come when you have to, or a day may come when some licknob smashes into it and it's time to start over after the insurance settlement. Those who think this one, and several others, is not good news should probably take up basket weaving or stamp collecting. Gas was near $4.00 a gallon for how long? What's the average shop rate in pro shops?

I'm happy for him and most of us. Your results may vary, tax n title extra, see your retailer for details, void where prohibited...

Flat-Foot likes this.
  14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I think it will. Whether you like the style or not it was sort of a breath of fresh air in hot rodding when things were sort of stale. If you've ever had the pleasure of seeing it in person it is a top quality build. The bare metal thing isn't for me but I love that truck. I know that many here don't care about trends but you cant deny the significance of it.

I think in 50 years people will look back at cars like Shine's truck, Piero's coupe, Jimmy White's coupe, Weesners roadster etc. as significant cars of this era of hot rodding. I already consider all of the above that way

motoandy likes this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

So a Hamb friendly build gets major air time, brings huge $$ & attention on arguably the biggest TV sales event of the season. Isn't that like your team winning the Super Bowl?

sko_ford and WiredSpider like this.
  16. Blown35

Blown35

Perhaps sad Jimmy is feeling a little better with $250K as a conciliation prize........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. ......................You may be right. I guess only time will tell.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I thought it was only us Brits who got bitter about other people's success

Flat-Foot likes this.
  19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I doubt Shine even remembers selling it today. From the interview he had with Ray Evernham shine was toasted.

20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

21. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Good on him. Working hard to have a career building cars and doing well. To me it's great to see all those loaded folks crackin open the wallets big time placing great value on the cars us builders put our heart and soul and debt load into.

22. It amazes me how some members resent Jimmy Shines quarter million dollar payday.

Why did his simple yet detailed truck command so much money?

This truck put Jimmy Shine in the spotlight as a talented builder that had a vision and built a extraordinary hot rod,the results were notoriety and a lot of magazine features.

Deciding to sell his creation at Barrett Jackson gave him a huge audience with people that are there with unlimited funds and they,and they alone determine what any given car will bring the hammer down.

As for the trucks historical value,who knows? only time will tell.

Personally,I am happy for him,this kind of money just helps to legitimatize hot rods. HRP

23. Got to hand it to him though, building a Bonneville contender for pop's, how can you not think that's commendable? I'm really surprised that So-Cal didn't step up to the plate and buy it for it's internal significance, would be a nice display piece for it's corporate headquarters.

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Did he get a good pay day? Hopefully so. Was it for show? You never know, B.J. isn't going to let a "celebrities" car bomb at auction.

If I recall, in Arizona the auction house is legally allowed to place bids. That isn't the case everywhere. I would never attend an auction where this is allowed to happen. A reserve is fine. You know what the deal is. Auction house bids IMO are not cool. I shouldn't have to bid against the house that has a vested interest in running up the price.

Again, I do not know this to be the case here but B.J. is as much reality television as any of them.

25. Leakie

Leakie

I think you mean Rick Hendrick not RC.

26. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Couldn't agree more, take all the cars from the era of traditional record. How many cars were in hot rod or any magazine, or raced the lakes or Bonneville. But there was one Spencer roadster. We all love the history and the cars that made that history. Now Mr. Shines truck that we all know sells and some will question is significance? It's been on TV, is been in a ZZ Top video, it's been in magazines. And in building upon the statement I quoted above time will show the a handful of greats from this generation will be held up as The Ones. Is the Doane Spencer 32 worth more than any other 32? When you just count some steel and bolts. It isn't worth much more the 600 scrap value. But because of its quality and history it's priceless( at least to me). And let's face it we all wish we had built something that people know as oh the the "insert name here" special. That one car that you were known by, and not just locally. Sad to see him sell it but good for him.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Good start to a fast LSR.

28. daddyo

daddyo

Who is the new owner?

29. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Real happy for Jimmy, guys spend that on 4x4 chase trucks all the time and by next season, they are outdated and worthless, so why the fuss, it's depends on your personal taste, some high dollar customs go for that much or if you had a high dollar shop build one for you, it would'ent be cheap , plus the truck was a trend setter. Anyway, really happy for Jimmy and i'am shure the customer is happy as well

30. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

I'm glad he got crazy money for his build! I sure hope I get crazy money for mine when the time comes. This is not on the same level but I bought a car for $1500 took it to a swap meet the following Saturday and I put a price of $4700. I was told I was nuts, you'll never see that kind of money from that car....3 hours later I had $4500 in my hand and sold my spot to a guy for a cold beer from the beer tent. There's a buyer for everything.

hotrodA, leadfootloon and OahuEli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.