Register now to get rid of these ads!

239 flathead ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glmke, Jan 17, 2015.

1. glmke

glmke

Just replaced my water pumps, my question is, I am having trouble getting the belts tight, is there a trick to getting the generator and fan to rise, have tried a crow-bar but still having trouble getting the belts tight. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421559457.359408.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

IMG_5119b.jpg 1. Loosen the two 5/8" bolts that attach the fan carrier bracket to the cast iron generator mount.
    2. Loosen the BIG not on the cast iron generator bracket.
    3. Raise the cast iron generator bracket so belt is tight - ( 3/4 to 1 inch play in belt) and retighten big nut.
    4. Raise fan mount carrier bracket until belt is tight and re-tighten the two 5/8 fan carrier bolts .
    I will post a photo tomorrow on where to place lever to raise gen. bracket and fan carrier bracket in steps 3 and 4.. Fan has been removed for better viewing. Photos shown are of a 1951 Merc narrow belt engine. I think Ford narrow belt is the same set up. You rest the tip of the screwdriver in the little valley of the timing gear cover near where it meets the block and pull up on the screwdriver handle so as to raise (and tighten) the generator bracket. Then you rest the hammer handle on the top of the water pump so that the end of the handle is under the fan carrier bracket and push down on the head of the hammer to raise (and tighten) the fan carrier bracket and fan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

What year - kind of car?

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Better to do this as a two-person job. One person lifts the generator and the other tightens the big nut.
    Do the generator first, then the fan. Make sure the bracket sits squarely in the track of the intake manifold, yours looks a little crooked in the photo.
    The belts don't have to be made very tight. As a matter of fact, too tight is bad for the water pumps.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All narrow-belt '50-'53 Fords and Mercs.

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Why the flex fan?
    Anyone else runs flex fans on their flatheads?

7. I was wondering the same thing.
    I agree with above advise. Two person job, but they don't have to be super tight.

8. You don't want to get them too tight & second you belts are riding too low in the groove on the pulleys.
    With a belt that low in the pulley I doubt you will ever get them to quit slipping. Rule of thumb as I was taught is 1/2" deflection on the longest span.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Copy of DSC02100 (Small).JPG
    I use a flex fan on my 8BA because it is much lighter than stock and reduces load on fan bearing. Plus, I once had a stock fan where the stock fan blades work hardened and literally flew apart with pieces going thru the hood and radiator.

Attached Files:

10. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here's how I do it,once your through the slot on the bracket, you can pry up or down as necessary. I usually pry up with the end of the extension on a small block of wood behind the bracket to keep from scratching the intake,hope this helps!

11. glmke

glmke

Good tip