Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PPG Flex and Flat Does it cure tiger stripes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

The Produce truck is coming along and I will need to decide on a paint. I was planning on using the Hot Rod Flatz Dark Brown, but I am concerned about tiger striping that may occur. It sounds pretty common.

I like it because it's cheap. I know it Omni shop line junk, but this truck is a beater.

I really don't wanna spend the money on a bc/cc with PPG because that will probably about triple the price. But, if it would give me piece of mind, not worrying about the tiger stripe issue, it may be worth it.

So talk to me fellas..............

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I found this on PPG's website.

PPG launches Matte Clearcoat System for PPG GLOBAL REFINISH SYSTEM line
    [​IMG]STRONGSVILLE, Ohio, Jan. 3, 2013 – PPG Industries’ (NYSE:pPG) automotive refinish business has expanded the PPG GLOBAL REFINISH SYSTEM(R) line with the addition of two new versatile, reduced-gloss clearcoats, D8115 Matte and D8117 Semi-Gloss. The new clearcoats make up the Matte Clearcoat System and are formulated to allow a wide range of low gloss finish levels.

"We have been providing the industry with a variety of matte clearcoats for quite some time," said Jennifer Boros, PPG brand manager, premium solvent-borne brands. "And for the past few years, matte finishes have been increasing in popularity among refinishers and OEMs. We are addressing that increased demand with these two premium-quality PPG products that will give the industry plenty of flexibility to create the exact matte finish desired."

D8115 Matte and D8117 Semi-Gloss clearcoats provide an extremely uniform, low-gloss finish. They are suitable for stand-alone use or in combination, with each other or with other PPG products, to match OEM (original equipment manufacturer) gloss levels and to produce striking custom finishes. In addition, they can be used over rigid plastics without the need for additional flex additives.

PPG matte clearcoats have long been recognized by OEMs for delivering quality low-gloss finishes. That continues with PPG’s D8115 Matte and D8117 Semi-Gloss clearcoats, which both have been approved by Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler and other OEMs for refinish use on their vehicles.

- See more at: http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/pages/20130103c.aspx#sthash.uksLl17T.dpuf

3. I would stick with the low cost alternative for what you are doing and am confident that you could shoot it without stripes. I haven't ever sprayed Hot Rod Flatz yet, but suspect it couldn't be terribly different than shooting primer in hot weather as far as dry time and tendency to stripe?

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I hate to throw a lot of money at it. I even thought about spraying a tintable K36 sealer and just park it inside. It would probably last 10 years before it starts chalking. Dad's 58 has been outside it's entire life and we have reshot it once.

5. Exactly, Sid even shot his green 47 pickup with the car front clip with spray cans :eek: and it looked pretty good and lasted for several years...

6. Root,I have had excellent results with Kirker,,it comes in a semi gloss and is relatively inexpensive.

The beauty of this product is you can clean it,it's doesn't streak and fade.HRP

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Tiger stripes is caused by not enough overlap on the coats of paint. One way to eliminagte them is to put the coats on at 90 degree angles to eaxh other, that way you are not spraying the color in the same direction all of the time

8. Tiger Stripes are caused by technique.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. Tic tac toe

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

This.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, I have no technique so I should be golden.

I was gonna spray it with my Sata 2000 using a 1.4 tip. I have true 1/2" airlines and fittings. I was gonna spray it with 75% overlap.

12. Slopok

Slopok

Spray front to rear without pausing. In otherwords walk the entire distance in one pass. That's the technique Larry Watson used. Not easy to do do but seems necessary when shootin flats. Prevents vertical tiger stripes.

loudbang likes this.
  13. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That should serve you well.

VR&C.

14. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I painted this truck with PPG Flex-n-Flat, by far the best product that I got to work with producing a flat finish, although it's pricey.

For an economical way PPG Del Fleet flat black is around $125 a sprayable gallon. The first time I sprayed it I had tiger stripes so bad that you could hear them. Reshot the car a week later and it turned out great... Dunno why?

Another good alternative as already mentioned is HotRod Flatz. Don't be afraid to hose it on and keep the surface wet and you'll be fine.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. kustom_dude

kustom_dude
    from CA

Use the ppg deflect line with the base coat converter. You can adjust the sheen with less converter works killer

this HTML class. Value is http://us.ppgrefinis

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Kustom dude.....dead link.

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wonder if the metallics and pearls are more prone to striping as opposed to standard solids?

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Omni and Shop Line are junk? Are you forgetting that you are posting on a board where Rust-Oleum and paint rollers are considered cool? :rolleyes:

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, They are not top shelf line, how about that?

20. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Yes they are.

21. flamed34

flamed34

PPG has an industrial acrylic vinyl primer-sealer coating that I (and others) have been using as a tinted base. I spray it just before topcoating, after epoxy and high-build steps. It's pretty impressive, sprays out nice. It's semi-gloss, but dulls more if rubbed down with scotchbrite (after 3 days, have to abrade before topcoating). The same scotchbrite technique could be used to "blend" I would think.
    It's called VAP-9XX and is tintable. There are also some pre-mix colors (VAP-900 Red Oxide, -902 Beige, -904 Gray) Best part, my jobber sells it for $14/quart.
    It seems pretty durable...good resistance to salt spray (500 hours) and various chemicals. Data sheet here: http://www.lopdf.net/preview/xd14K2...eries.html?query=Acrylic-Lacquer-Paint-Colors

Below are two Pontiac Catalina fenders I did, waiting to be sprayed in final black.

upload_2015-1-18_20-40-11.jpeg

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

So is it lacquer based?

23. flamed34

flamed34

As far as clean up? Yes, cleans up with lacquer. There's no reduction necessary...once tinted, it's ready to spray out of the can.

24. Slopok

Slopok

Is that the gray or did you tint them black? They look like when you buy new parts and they have that black protective coating on them.

25. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

I've shot a few vehicles flat black. I used Martin Senour paint. I bought a gallon of gloss black acrylic enamel. It's what they were selling at Napa as their msa paint kit. I bought a quart of exterior flattener that I mixed to my desired sheen. I have had very good luck with it. Held up great. Two vehicles had pastic bumpers that required flex agent. The first car I only added it to the paint for the bumper covers and it changed the sheen slightly. So on the next car I added it to the entire mix. Came out very even, but I do feel its technique and how you mix, temp, correct reducers, etc. Remember you can't cut, buff, and or remove runs like gloss paint. You need to get it right the first go. I had my flat black car get hit on the side by a deer. Took the door, front fender, and quarter. I had to paint all three entire panels, and hope to match the sheen. It worked out, but only by luck I think. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with your question, but its all I know about low gloss paint. Lol

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This might actually look good with tiger stripes. Like that Tempest.

27. flamed34

flamed34

That's tinted black. It's fairly similar to the e-coat on new parts....just a bit flatter.

28. flamed34

flamed34

Here's a couple from today...just finished the roof and jamming in the Pontiac and sprayed the excess VAP-9XX on the tops of the fenders. Lousy cell phone pics, but a good comparison of the gloss compared to the base/clear black.

0119152111.jpg 0119152111a.jpg 0119152111b.jpg 0119152112.jpg 0119152112a.jpg 0119152113.jpg

29. luckystiff

luckystiff

that VAP reminds me and awful lot of the PPG CRE-CT that alot of us were really liking a few years ago.

30. flamed34

flamed34

It may be similar...there's a VAP-CT but it's chemical and salt spray resistance are significantly lower than the -9XX from a quick comparison. Looking at the CRE-CT spec sheet, it says it is a high build.