Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 PU Y-Block now Hemi Powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratamahata, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Hey guys , a while since my last time around here , This time , I come with a new project, and many questions ... about what engine , transmission and differential choose?
    I would like to put flathead , but I need to get one in good condition for it ...
    I have a 1956 engine , "Y" block that was in a truck , the block is Yellow ...
    I would use that engine with the banjo, I saw that in speedway sell a reform to open the transmission , but want to keep the torque tube ...
    Well, there are many things ... It could also reform the transmission to accept the torque tube . but would have to get an ideal transmission !! Since I was watching!! Theres no specific companies selling spare parts for hot rod in Argentina !!
    I also thought in a 3 speed toploader with the banjo , but I need an adapter for the bell housing ... ???
    In the end I think I would use a flathead , the toploader and the banjo ...
    Or the " Y " block , a modern transmission and a Ford 9-inch differential ...
    Then there's the part of the body ... fenders ... yes or no? and other things ...
    Well at least now !! My project is "Original Henry Steel"
    I trade my roadster project for the PU...
    Link to the roadster project!!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/some-progress-on-my-deuce-roadster-project.719493/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MOCK UP!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Stogy and harpo1313 like this.
  2. Your truck looks really good and solid! Since I had one of those once, I would keep the fenders, leave the bed full length and not chop the top....not right now. sounds like you will have some hurdles to get the parts you need. Flathead or Y block either are good choices for the truck. I would work on getting the frame on four wheels while thinking through the drive train thing. Keep us posted and have fun!!! Tim

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looks like a good starting point for a project.As stated above, nice solid body etc. I also would not chop it and keep the fenders.
    Good luck with the project.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Thanks for the replies ...
    Yes , I want to keep the fenders , the original bed and not chop .
    Another thing I was thinking !! How many inches need to lower the car... so the wheels do not touch the fenders...

Stogy likes this.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to run a hood and stock firewall I think the Y bock will be out as these are a couple of inches longer than a SBC (which would be wrong to contemplate) we were planning a y block in a 32 pick up but size does matter and we didn't want to cut the firewall or compromise interior room so have gone to the flathead .
    Please leave the body as is for now any way.

Stogy likes this.
  6. I am jealous a little bit. you have found a sweet project my friend I am happy for you. :cool:

You can get an adapter for the Y block to the early ford toploader,I will arrange to get one to you if you can't get that done. no problem. Or you can use a Ford transmission late model and convert to open drive on the banjo. The banjo will work for you if you want to keep it.

The Y block is a good engine, if it is a '56 truck engine it will probably be 272 cubic inches or about 4.5 liters. It could be 292 cubic inches or about 4.8 liters, but it is most likely the smaller.

I like the Deuce pickups both ways with or without fenders. it is just a matter of taste. if I had good fenders I would be tempted to run it with fenders. the nice thing about it is if you build it with fenders they do bolt on so you could remove them and then put them back on whenever you wanted to.

You could also go with a total late model drive train but if it were me and I had the early stuff I would do that.

Fijate, por aca estoy a tus ordenas, si te hace falta qualquier cosa, que me digas.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Something looks odd about the firewall,is it just laying in place? HRP

8. No Danny that would be standing in place. I can understand your confusion though Argentina is below the equator. :D

Stogy, sko_ford and 1927graham like this.
  9. It's a truck so, i'm in!

Stogy likes this.
  10. I Will Need take better pictures for you guys!!
    The Firewall... I think is right, standing in place, but you are the experts... Something common in my place, is the batery support hanging in the firewall.. very usefull maybe in those times, but not a good view!!

Stogy likes this.
  11. Thanks buddy!! Glad to see your comments again... and dont be jealous... The sun shines for everyone !!
    They tell me was a 272 from a truck...
    I will take some frame detailed pictures, Looks like a Frankestein frame, plenty of welded patches for over the rails... Need a bunch of love!! Will be better take the rails off for working!!

Stogy likes this.
  12. If you look carefully at the picture of the chassis , it has two tubes welded front and rear , this is because the truck was fitted with wheels for display in a shop car without front axle , without motor, transmission and differential ...
    You've probably been restored for that reason , because the paint is not very old , or does not seem ...
    The doors were welded , black glasses were sealed with silicone acrylic ..
    The door of the bed was also welded ...

Stogy likes this.
  13. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Nice looking project! Something about a lil' truck with "no" chopped top, always looks pretty cool...it seems to have a 'natural' stance to it, in my opinion, plus a little more headroom is an awesome thing. I like it!...:D

Stogy likes this.
  14. Nothing wrong with a 272. I ran one in a Ford wagon once and it pulled it right on down the road. in a light vehicle like your truck it should make you very happy.

Stogy likes this.
  15. ME TOO!!

Stogy likes this.
  16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

good looking start. sometimes I think about the fact I should just get a better cab for mine, but then it wouldn't have the family history so I'm doing it the hard way. all the best with your build!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Nice pickup!!

Stogy and 1927graham like this.
  18. It makes sense what you say , I had wished that my grandfather or my father leave me some old ford ... now with this project and those to come ... God gave me a son to teach him about this passion ...

Stogy likes this.
  19. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Stogy likes this.
  20. can't he just use the late flathead bellhousing that has the late Ford - including top loader - bolt pattern....its like 49-53 Ford car right ? good luck with it.....

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy likes this.
  22. Mmm!! Flatty bellhousing is part of the block I think, At least in my 59 ab!!

Stogy likes this.
  23. May be is time to probe the machine!! Old roadster project was setting with a 35 axle, new pickup need a dropped one

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  24. seatex

seatex

wow! the sheetmetal looks to be in great condition!

Stogy likes this.
  25. Yup !! Can not imagine ... Sheetmetal looks like "Time Capsule" from Barret Jackson auction

Stogy likes this.
  26. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

just realized you were argentine. if you have problems with anything let me know and I'll do my best to translate it. me falta practica, pero hablo espanol tambien :)

Stogy likes this.
  27. oh....early motor....no later 8BA's around?

Stogy likes this.
  28. I Diggit. I have a 34 sans chassis that I want to put on a 32 frame with a yblock & t5.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Sebastian.A.G

Sebastian.A.G
    from argentina

Felicitaciones!!, muy buen proyecto, me alegro que la rescataste vos y no alguno con la idea de ponerle todo de taunus como es acá Jeje

Stogy likes this.