Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Warning about ebay seller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lauri, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Yes this is John Kovar from Cleveland Ohio. As far as I am concerned this guy is as crooked as they come. He deliberately ripped you off because he knew he could get away with it. He has pulled stunts like this many times before this. I bought one of his EZ Steer steering boxes. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. We never even got to drive my 29 coupe on the road with the steering box installed because the EZ Steer steering box broke right on the floor in my shop. A good friend of mine purchased a few transmission parts also through the same auction site that you used and none of them were as advertised. He ended up throwing everything from PlainJane in the garbage. Never ever purchase anything from this guy; you will end up regretting it. I do have some contact information that may help you or anyone else on here for that matter. The information I have is as follows: John Kovar, 7609 Carter Road, Sagamore Hills, Ohio, 44067 - Ph. 330-468-3027 - [email protected]. Sagamore Hills is in the Cleveland Ohio region .I wouldn't normally post information like this on a public forum but this guy is a scumbag and his antics need to be stopped. This info is four or five years old but I am confident he is still at this same address. He is a vendor at the fall Hershey swap meet every year so if anyone wants to meet him in person here is your chance. Could be some fireworks happening at fall Hershey 2015.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'll tell you how these guys get a good feedback rating. The buyers put in good feedback because their order arrived quickly and looked to be packed well. So they put in positive feedback. Then, by the time they get around to installing the parts, or getting the car running, and they find a problem, it is too late to go back and retract the positive comments.

There is a certain guy in PA who builds 8 and 9 inch Ford rears (we bought two of them) and we put in good feedback because they came fast and seemed ok. But they leaked like a sieve and when we sent one back he said "You overfilled the rear end housing !" So we have two cars with rear ends that leak out of the pinion shaft and we have no recourse because we already said good things about him.

It is just a sad fact of Ebay.

Don

3. Kovar's been at the Nats swap meet for at least the last couple of years. He need's a visit.

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Follow thru w/ EBay resolution center, did not see how you paid, always use PayPal or credit card, so you have some leverage, never buy anything on EBay unless he/she has 100% rating w/ at least 50+ satisfied customers and a return policy. I have bought and sold on EBay and have not had any problems.

5. Squablow

Squablow

FYI You've got 6 months to file a credit card chargeback through Paypal if you used a credit card in conjunction with your payment.

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

From google street view it looks like he is doing pretty well taking others money. I wonder how is F-100 project is progressing? This image is a few year old..
    https://goo.gl/maps/ujL4M

7. All well and good but the time window has passed.
    The rating system is a farce at best, this guy has over 2000 @ 100 %. Again on the feedback rating, when I didn't have any feed backs how would I get any?

Majority of deals go smooth, but I've been stung a few times buying and selling. This particular individual has quite a track record of screwing folks over.

8. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Lot of them out there, they need some retribution.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry to read this Lauri, that crap should never have been sold, and having to pay for the shipping from Ohio to Norway is just criminal. Hope you can get more of a refund and parts you can use from someone. Bob

10. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

Stories like this piss me off. It's hard enough trying to find vintage parts without having to worry about pieces of crap like this!!

11. greener200

greener200

I have found that when a seller has a certain amount of sales/feedback or AKA Powerseller ,they can do what they want and ebay doesn,t care. I bought Ron Hallerans FLATHEAD book on a buy it now for 12 bucks hey great deal ,paid with paypal ,got instant feedback (for my quick payment), ,never got the book ,3 weeks go by ,Iget a refund into my paypal acct. ,the book is out of stock the seller says ,,,,I go on his ebay, theres the book for 20 bucks. WHATEVER ! EBAY said I got my money back so whats the big deal , I go to ebay as a last resort to buy/ sell stuff. On anything over 50 bucks I always check there feedback

12. butch27

butch27

Look: Aren't there a few Hambers near this guy in Ohio. Let them bad mouth him locally and to everyone THEY know in and around Ohio. And how does he have a 100% E Bay rating??

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

15. Feedback doesn't mean anything when an eBay seller sticks it to you. Go to Paypal or eBay and file a claim for item not as described.

59Apachegail likes this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I understand completely, got scammed by a US based seller a few years ago. Damned expensive exercise buying and then having sent to your overseas address with fluctuating currency (exchange) and shipping rates, then finding out that things aren't what the same as what was advertised! Expensive exercise many US based rodders don't experience, all the additional costs we incur enjoying out passion.

17. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I bought a hood from American muscle car parts on e bay it was a second but in the add it said it was the correct diminsions. When it arrived it was short on one side on the hood top. I asked for a refund plus shipping. It was agreed to so I sent the hood back and have not received any money yet. Now I am out shipping both ways plus the hood and the payment. I am thinking Ebay needs to get their act togther, and American Muscle Car Parts needs to treat their customers better

18. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I forgot to mention that it was for a 32 ford.

19. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

WHAT AN A- HOLE HOPE HE GETS HIS JUST REWARD

20. fastest32

fastest32
    from austin

Google Thomas Thompson on Rippoff Report. I got screwed by him a few years back and wish I had bothered googling him before dealing with him. Keep putting peoples names out there and hopefully people will avoid businesses with tons of bad reviews on line.

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The official e-bay policy has been that the buyer pays return shipping unless the seller agrees to it ahead of time--- HOWEVER not once, but twice, I escalated a complaint for goods "not as described" and got e-bay to pay for the return shipping themselves, one time over $100 bucks worth of shipping (they say their limit is $75, but I separated it into two packages). I don't know if this will work for international shipping, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Make sure your complaint goes up the ladder at e-bay and don't take "no" for an answer.

Make sure you take photos to submit to e-bay to help prove your case.
    Also, make sure all of your communications with the seller are within the e-bay message system. When they review your case, they will look at those, but will not accept outside emails as evidence.

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Negative feedback on fleebay only lasts 6 months then it goes away. Rating system does suck

23. None of that will help any when you're unknowingly dealing with a guy who's intent is to rip you off, as the case here. Just look at his reputation and the overwhelming number of complaints on this one particular individual.

Maybe not every single transaction of his is an intended colitis inducing experience but just 1 is more than enough 2 is a pattern and how many are there?

24. Lauri,
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Maybe next time one of us can help you out before it gets shipped to Finland.

gwhite likes this.
  25. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

This is interesting. I've been getting calls from "Hot Rod John" for awhile asking me to send him "Whatever junk you've got laying around", and he wanted stuff that "Nobody would ever use"... That kind of raised a red flag for me, as I wouldn't buy stuff that nobody would use. That, and he seemed to think he'd get everything for half price. Unfortunately, I'm not in business to sell things for half price, and I sure as hell don't want to be linked to a guy with this kind of reputation.

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

No, it helps. Both PayPal and your credit card company will refund your money if you return the goods. If the goods are misdescribed (and you can prove it to ebay), then the seller must take them back even if they say "no returns" on the listing. The catch is the cost of the return shipping, which I hope I steered you in the right direction to fix.

27. Lauri

Lauri

I was taken contact to ebay and paypal but answers was time is over. It takes time when parts goes overseas and back and trying to solve problem with seller. Ok. I can leave with that.
    My main reason why i write here ,was to tell this person to other peoples becouse plainjane, hotrodjohn, john kovar, ez- steer is selling still all the time parts to others. I dont believe that all otherparts is perfeckt, remanufactured etc..

Thaks all comments. And in anyway must remember that almost all here and in hobby are nice honest frienly people!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.