Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 f100 cab question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garett Shoemaker24, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Garett Shoemaker24

Garett Shoemaker24

I have a 1953 ford with with a deluxe cab. There is hole that is for the stock radio.

[​IMG]

Now, I'm not building a all original vehicle, and I also know that a non working original radio is pretty pricy.

So my question is....

Has anyone put anything else in its place? I remember the size being a weird measurement and there isn't a single gauge that fits there. But hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

I need some helps guys!!!!!!

2. Clock, tach, photo of the kids.

I think that I used a vacuum gauge out of a big truck in a Ford car with a missing round radio. pretty sure it was a vac gauge.

3. Garett Shoemaker24

Garett Shoemaker24

I like the vac gauge idea, but its been about a month since i last researched this and i forget the diameter of the hole.. i just remember not finding a single gauge that size. (truck is currently in storage and i keep forgetting to measure it again)

4. I may have had to file the hole a little bit, it would have been a gauge out of a big rig as I was working as a heavy mechanic at the time and spent some time at the salvage scrounging.

5. If you know anybody with a lathe, have an 'adaptor' ring machined, then you can install pretty much anything. Or how about covering the hole (and some of the dash) with a engine-turned applique ala the '56 T-bird? IIRC, Speedway sells this for a reasonable price...

6. Garett Shoemaker24

Garett Shoemaker24

Can you explain a little more? I'm not really understanding

Bill Nabors likes this.
  7. Ive got one of those trucks junked out. It came from Chicago must have 55 gallons of bondo on it. The radio is still present. probably don't work because it have a 12 volt battery. How much is pricy. make an offer ill sell you the radio.

8. For an 'adaptor ring', use a 1/4-3/8" thick hunk of aluminum, turn it to a slightly larger diameter than the hole, then turn part of the outside edge to the size of the hole. You now have a 'plug' that fits the hole without falling through. Get a bit creative on the 'face' of the plug, you could have a 'factory appearing' block-off plate or cut a smaller hole for a gauge. This could possible be done on a drill press with a grinder, files, and sandpaper, although you probably couldn't be quite as fancy as what a lathe could do.

Engine-turned panels here: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Engine-Turned-Aluminum-Panels,5390.html

9. verde742

verde742

buy the radio.. u can have it converted to 12 volt

10. Garett Shoemaker24

Garett Shoemaker24

I messaged you.

11. Garett Shoemaker24

Garett Shoemaker24

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I like the look of the engine-turned panels!

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Buy the radio, it will fill the hole and when you are a few$ ahead have it converted to 12volts.

13. Garett Shoemaker24

Garett Shoemaker24

If we can work out a deal, I'll probably get the radio.

14. x2 on the radio if you can snag it... if not, i might be able to get you an adapter made on the cheap for a gauge.

15. Mlacelle

Mlacelle

I know this is a old post. Do you still have radio

Thanks
    Michael

16. 56 ford short bed 003.JPG 56 ford short bed 002.JPG 56 ford short bed 007.JPG 56 ford short bed 001.JPG
    Yes still have the truck and radio. I also have a 56 short bed frame and a 53 thru 64 rust free stepside short bed in not going to use. I was gonna convert my 56 long bed to a short box. But have decided to keep it long bed.

17. something must have gone haywire I never got your message. My PH number is 870-248-9172

18. Mlacelle

Mlacelle

19. I can take a picture tomorrow. The orginal mounting for a Y block is on the very front of the engine. It uses a stamped metal bracket and a different timing cover water pump mount casting. Ive got one someplace have to dig it out. Or are you looking for the part of the frame that it bolts to?

20. Mlacelle

Mlacelle

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Michael

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is a radio on ebay right now.

22. 53 ford

53 ford

Old wolf, 25,122 long wheelbase f100's built in 1956. Keep it long.

23. F.Y.I. 55 Radio is 6V and 56 is 12V they are a direct interchange. They also have 6Vor 12V stamped on the housing.
    The Wizzard

24. yes I plan o keep it long bed. I first drove the 56 in the hayfield when I was 12. It had a 272 and factory automatic back then. I got a chance to buy it in the early 70,s. I installed a boat anchor 292 and my wife and I drove it until 77. later I installed a 430 merc and granny 4 speed. Its now powered by a stock 66 ford 250 hp 352 and top loader 3 speed nine inch rear with 325 gears. Better to keep it like it is. I put everything new in the front end. New kingpins tie rod ends and bushings in the steering sector. and it still drives not the best.

25. 53 ford 250 001.JPG Ok 53 ford 250 004.JPG 53 ford 250 005.JPG 53 ford 250 006.JPG 53 ford 250 007.JPG Ok here are the pictures. still has the radio clock and ignition key. The speedometer and gauges are gone. I have the frame crossmember also.

26. Mlacelle

Mlacelle