Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with 34 ford 5 w coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeallcars, Jan 14, 2015.

1. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Hi my fellow hamb friends. I need some help, unchanneling my 34 highboy to put fenders and running boards on it ,can anyone show pictures of mounting points for the fender braces and running board braces. Thanks ,Mike.

2. Mike: The front fender braces, the big ones, bolt on just about straight our from the crossmember. The running board braces bolt to the side of the frame rail as well and have a brace that swings under the bottom flange of the frame rail and bolts"up" to it. Big question is do you have these mentioned holes in your frame or are you working with a new frame or one that has had all its holes filled in? Mine are mostly filled and I'm fenderless right now any way. I could send you a pic of my frame and point at the spots? Tim

3. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Thanks , Tim its a orginal frame hasnt been welded on much(holes filled)

4. Great!! The front (big) braces go on with three bolts in a triangular pattern...should be easy to find those right behind the "bump" in the frame rail, about 8-10 inches back from the tip. Let me know if you need any more help or pics. Tim

5. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

thanks tim if you could post a pic of running locotion braces will help out alot ,thanks again,mike

6. Mike: Do you have running boards/originals with the holes already in them(along the edge that butts up to the frame)? The braces will bolt to the board with two or three bolts and the small "swing" portion will have one bolt going up. All you have to do is align the rear end of the board with the edge of the wheel well (fender opening) and it will or at least should align the braces with the holes in the frame. Lay one of the boards on the floor with the braces on it and align it with the wheel well. take a look and see if it doesn't show you exactly where it goes. If you still need pics I will get them for you

7. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Tim the ones I have are fiberglass been mounted before ,outside of boards have been drilled .

8. Mike: Here's a pic of an original set with the holes along the edge that butts to the frame. I'm missing the little "swing" portion but you can still see how they bolt up. Tim 002.JPG 003.JPG

9. You can see a bumped out area where each bolt goes through the frame. I'd say it was to keep stuff from collecting in there: like mud and water etc.

10. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

You may need sub-rails and floor panels. Not sure if the attached diagram helps or not. I had to replace my sub-rails and flooring, it was an ex-dirt track car. (The floor bracing is laying on top of the floor to mark hole locations).

Attached Files:

mikeallcars likes this.
  11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

C'mon now -- leave her channeled!

mikeallcars and timwhit like this.
  12. We would really like to have some pics too.

13. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

14. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

That's a nice looking coupe, I would be tempted to leave it like it is. The back tires fit your wheel wells spot on like it sits. I still have all my frame bolt holes in my frame, just covered with carriage bolts. I may not can help with the front fender brace except I still have them . With notice I can get you pics or measurements, or you can PM me and drive up here and measure all you want.

15. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Thanks, reason I want to unchannel it is Im a pretty tall guy 6 foot and dont have much head room ,just want to raise it up and run fenders for awhile then I can change back if I want to .