Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's used rustoleum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjd420, Jan 8, 2015.

1. If the puke residue is stuck good, the rustoleum topcoat is too.
    They always look great from the stands zooming around.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

heres one

Attached Files:

3. lovemuscle1975

lovemuscle1975

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420822002.736421.jpg

Rustoleum rust metal brown sanded to a faux patina

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

sounds to me you laid down a good base if you haven't had any luck shooting the car do you have a maaco shop in town? I know ill get hell from some guys for saying this but are local shop has a owner that has been shooting cars for 20 years you choose the paint and he shoots it. he personally does hot rods lets the other workers do the modern stuff.

5. tjd420

tjd420

I do a bunch of electrical work for body shops in St Louis area, I could get a pro to shoot it for me in a booth. Rather do this one myself.

6. classic gary

classic gary

Painted the wife's 57 chevy 3100 with rusto-paint. 1 gallon of white with a quart of yellow mixed in. Sprayed it with the 9.99 harbor freight gun. Thinner 30-40% with, damn I can't remember, but follow instructions on the can, anyway, I'll post pics later. It turned out pretty well. But it does take a while for the paint to dry enough to do any color sanding or even a coat of wax. Turned out as a 10 footer. Not bad for a work truck.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Rustoleum is a good solution for some builds. If you already have good primer, use good paint. Don't forget, southern polyurethane SPI, they have single stage orange, 2 reds, black, white. All of their other products have great reviews, single stage should be the same

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing Info.htm

8. Flamed48

Flamed48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421149518.380887.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421149534.397683.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421149550.147105.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421149565.965143.jpg
    Painted the truck with rustolems if your looking for a easy to touch up paint job this is the way to go a can costs about 4.00$ vs the traditional paint jobs thatlly cost 500$ an up to touch up defects

9. Slopok

Slopok

Plus you can save even more money....no masking tape necessary.

10. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Why not go to napa and get the commercial coatings they sell , its cheap and it really turns out nice and its way better than the summit paint .

11. Chip hammer and 60 grit, gives the metal some tooth. ;)

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Most of the work in painting a vehicle is in the prep work. If your body work is quality, and you plan to keep the car a while it would be wise to use quality automotive paint.

Ago

13. I sprayed rattlecan rustoleum on the dash of my cliche' ;) '55 Chevy back in 2005.
    The job was too small to justify borrowing a friend's compressor & gun. By spraying several extra coats, then color-sanding & buffing, I got pretty nice results.
    debut_interior.jpg

40fordtudor likes this.
  14. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

My father did a nice resto on a 1929 hudson with rustoleum.
    Just don't spill any gas on it when you fill up, or it will peel.

15. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ran out of time and money so my sedan is rattle canned. I think it came out nice enough so I will be keeping it like this for a while. Have a few extra cans on the shelf for touch up.
    [​IMG]

40fordtudor likes this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

BUMP. Going to repaint the blue on my work truck, was going to do it today. Bought some Rustoleum but now wondering if I should run up to Tractor supply and get this implement paint. Rustoleum is supposedly synthetic enamel and this stuff is alkyd enamel, and difference?

hjg.jpg rt 100.jpg

17. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I've told yous guys before,NO ALUMINUM BATS!!!! wood only for body work!!!!

18. boomosby

boomosby

i did!! came out ok, didnt do much prep work though, really surprised at the difference it makes to sand a area and not but i was young ;p came out good though .

Attached Files:

19. Well you got to scuff it before you paint it silly. :D :D :D

I think the old Rustoleum, the stuff in the little cans was or is oil base, like one shot. It probably isn't compatible with much.

This interior is entirely shot with Rustoleum rattle can urethane. its not the same as good old rusrtoleum and took for ever to gas out. Note the chip above the gauge panel. But is was scuff and shoot, no buffing and looks so truckish. ;)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. [​IMG]

Rolled-on with white foam roller. Thinned with odorless mineral spirits about 60 paint-40 thinner. 6 coats with 24hour dry time between each. Wet-sanded, buffed with wool wheel and rubbing compound, then foam wheel and hand glaze. Still looks pretty good 7 years later. Scratches kinda easy though. Had every piece of chrome off the car when painted. Grille, door handles, trim luggage rack, etc, etc. Did a lot of prep. It was a lot of work and time but saved me a ton of money I didn't and still don't have.

21. Dave7

Dave7
    from Canada

[​IMG]

Rolled on paint for this Triumph Spitfire. Thinned down. Lots of sanding but worked out nice.

22. tjd420

tjd420

Turned out good for me

Attached Files:

40fordtudor likes this.
  23. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I use it on jeeps and buggies. Thin with acetone and add a little hardener. Can't make it run, and goes on smooth.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have used it where it was meant to be, on steel patio furniture :D

25. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Krylon rust tough semi flat black rattle can. Goes on smooth as silk without stripes. Offers some light reflection. Easy touchups. BECAUSE RACE CAR.
    [​IMG]

26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Like B Ramsay said---"add hardener". I did the rally stripes on my OT early Camaro and in the AM I had one hell of a bug collection. Long, long time to dry with no hardener.

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

Now that's what I call PATINA! Yoiks! ( but an interesting endorsement for Rustoleum)

28. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433287214.552127.jpg painted this with Rustoleum and a roller not very good prep work so it's a good 20 footer.

29. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Shot this last week with Valspar implement paint that Tractor Supply used to carry, bought a bunch of it last year on clearance. Use the hardener and it works great, no hardener and sand paper turns it to goo. I made this blue by adding black to Ford tractor blue.

[​IMG]

slack likes this.