Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Classic Indy roadsters: Most beautiful oval racers ever?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bill McGuire, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

You go Mac, without replicas there would be no cars.

Ago

awilson40 likes this.
  2. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

We, the Bill Akin team, always welcome replicas at the events and admire the guys that admit these are replicas - it's those that "claim" their replicas are the real deal are the ones we don't appreciate and admire....kinda like claiming a "street beast" is a real '32 or '34 at a hot rod event!!......Joe:cool:

Ranchero59 and hotrodA like this.
  3. I have the same view. As long as the cars aren't misrepresented, I don't see the harm. They help to fill out the shows. And at the end of the day, it's simply people trying to enjoy themselves.

4. silent rick

silent rick

real replica built from the original yellowed 50+ year old blueprint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

It's very hard for me to decide which is more awesome, the bitchin' roadster in front, or the epic machine tools in the background.

I would kill five or six normal people and help hide the bodies for a trio of milling machines like that.

Yowza. :cool:

6. racer5c

racer5c

That's a beautiful car , and I'm guessing that is Mr Trucean's shop, he has some incredible stuff, but could you please tell me what a "real replica" is?

BZNEIL, 29AVEE8 and 32STUPRES like this.
  7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Those manual Cincinnati milling machines are some of the best made. I ran them all.

8. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I know, thus the droolage. :D

9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

yellow blueprints.JPG
    The only way to build a "real replica" is by using "yellow blue"prints.;) Above is my "yellow blue"print I used to build my "real replica" in post #486

Actually, the correct reference to this car would be "recreation" which a is newly built body and frame representing an existing or no longer existing original car, using "period correct" engine, transmission, driveline, rear axle, brakes, steering gear, spindles, hubs, wheels & tires, springs & shocks, etc. The "period correct" parts can be either original pieces or newly made reproductions of the original parts.
    Another great car from Steve Truchan's shop !!
    mac miller in INDY

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    32STUPRES likes this.

10. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

11. silent rick

silent rick

12. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

Steve's car looks great (and has the Jack Offenhauser official seal of approval :) )
    Look forward to seeing it fire up for the first time!
    Thanks for posting the photos

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. silent rick

silent rick

14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

"Real Replica" My new favorite term!

15. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The "real replica" 1964 Ronnie Duman "CLEAN WEAR SPL." built from the "yellow blue"prints at mac miller's indy garage is almost ready to leave the PainterGeek shop sporting its new pink & black "Justin Welling" paint job! 12289665_986261914765589_4338341618403408524_n.jpg 12239545_986261624765618_2397018475195739092_n.jpg

Gabe Fernando and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Jack Offenhauser

Jack Offenhauser

Justin @ PainterGeek is one of the best there is, he does incredible work.

17. johnod

johnod

Where and when is it possible to see these style of cars run on the track?
    Any info or links etc is appreciated.
    Thanks

18. wisdonm

wisdonm

Check out the Miller Reunion at the Milwaukee Mile, usually early July.

19. johnod

johnod

20. wisdonm

wisdonm

That's it. Usually $25 for two days. You can walk right up to the cars, drivers, mechanics, and owners and you might even be able to talk yourself into a ride along in a two-seater.

21. Awesome show. A must-see for any gearhead.

22. johnod

johnod

23. May be I don't remember correct but I saw what I was told a 1938 Indy car. I was clearing cedar on a ranch when I saw a front end to a 1950's dragster sitting in front of a barn in Texas. I saw the ranch owner around lunch time one day and I asked him about the front end. He said yes it is off a 50's dragster and said would you like to see it . I said yes and we went inside and there was the dragster. Super awesome piece of history but what caught my eye was the race car sitting up in the loft. I asked what the story was on that car. He said it was a Indy car and had a photo of it and the pit crew in 1938. He had the motor in another room. It was a work of art. I will dig in my photos to find it and post later.

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

25. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

A 'real replica'. Going to have to think about this term for a while. Interesting.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Reminds me of the ads from some years back for "cast billet" valve covers.

27. rooman

rooman

I can live with Silent Rick's "real replica" comment in reference to the Trucean Jones and Mayley laydown roadster as it has all of the correct hardware and as noted was built from the original blueprint. Thus it is a replica of the original car and "real" in that it uses the period correct parts or recreations thereof, thus meeting the definition as listed below.
    I would guess that maybe the comment was in reference to Mac's cars which while having basically the correct frame layout and body panels are way off the mark in the suspension and wheel/tire areas. Call Mac's cars "tributes" but not replicas because they are not as they do not meet the "exact" criteria.

From the Oxford Dictionary:

rep·li·ca
    [ˈrepləkə]
    NOUN
    1. an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale:
      "a replica of the Empire State Building"
      synonyms:copy·carbon copy·model·duplicate·reproduction·
      Oxford Dictionaries· © Oxford University Press

Roo

guffey likes this.
  28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have never looked through this thread before, but it is very interesting. That was Indy racing at its best. I used to listen to the 500 on my transistor radio as a kid The rear engine cars ruined that racing. Indy is just not the same.

Ranchero59 and a boner like this.
  29. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Ha! Well, I always learn something new here… wow! I had always considered my cars as replicas and new cars, like Steve’s, as recreations. According to Mr. rooman’s official dictionary definition, I have been totally wrong.
    I will now defer all car classification decisions to the amateur historians&writers , who know way more about these cars than I do.
    I think, from now on, I will refer to my cars, exclusively, as "genuine mac miller specials” …. No pretense, no excuses and no responsibility to impress anyone but myself.

Here is a great pic of A.J. Watson and a group of notable roadster owners at my garage, checking the construction of one of my "genuine mac miller specials". I really like my cars... A.J. really liked my cars... Parnelli Jones likes my cars... the owners really like my cars and the organizers of the meets really like having my cars at their events, so, the opinions of the spectator class “experts” means absolutely "zero" to me.
    AJ inspection.jpg

mac miller in INDY

wicarnut, Offy 220, Dean Lowe and 3 others like this.
  30. silent rick

silent rick

yeah, but you haven't heard what they say about your cars behind your back

joemarsicano likes this.