Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best way to go about the 29 sedan top?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ScottKick, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ScottKick

ScottKick

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421082891.776962.jpg . This is where I'm at just tryin to figure out how to start on the roof. Any help is appreciated

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. What are you wanting to know?

3. are you tring to figure out what to do with the big hole in the top? If yes, you can fill it with metal ( go get a top of a wagon and weld it in) or put the wood bows back in a recover like a stock 29 was built or make a removable soft top that snaps in so that it can be removed.

4. steves29

steves29

Depends what direction you want to go. Find a steel roof like an Astro, or get a wood kit and find a top replace thread on here or the Fordbarn.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you're going to fill it, make sure you have the body bolted down on a nice square frame using the wooden body blocks that go into the subframe. Get the doors lined up and fitted too. Once that top is welded in, there won't (or shouldn't) be much you can do to straighten things later.

6. It all depends on what style of car you are building. HRP

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...Sneak up on it from behind so it can't see you...

8. No matter what you are doing, do what Corn Fed recommends. Square up the body, make sure the doors open\close correctly as with the windshield. Then either do a WOOD KIT or do a nice filled roof.
    Don't do it on palletts ... use jack stands and levels or frame table... spend the time. you won't be sorry...

need louvers ? likes this.
  9. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I am going for a removable top, haven't decided if going soft or hard top yet, but I want to leave the Bows in it.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

sedan top 013.JPG sedan top 015.JPG An insert like this is easy and cheap but not everyone's cup of tea... Click the pic to enlarge...

11. captmullette

captmullette

bowling green 2014 064.jpg bowling green 2014 122.jpg sheet of aluminum, some 1 in. aluminum bows, cut to fit pop rivet ...light weight....paint or leave it natural

12. Put a piece of colored lexan in it and have a sun roof. :rolleyes:

If it were mine and I wanted the filler to be removable I would go with a soft top, vinyl and rolls n pleats, stretched over a piece of hardware cloth or expanded metal.

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

14. ScottKick

ScottKick

I guess more of the sliding ragtop look, I've done one on an s10. But it had factory roof supports, so should I weld a roof in from a wagon or something then just drop a sliding rag in it? Or is there a better way?

15. That's a Kool top scrap!

16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Since you are wanting an open top, I'd suggest either putting repro wood in the opening (goes along the edge on the little shelf, and on the front and back edges), or making your own wood to fit the edges. If you make your own, you can round the edges to your liking Your upholstery guy will need the wood to tack the fabric to. Better yet, talk to your upholstery guy now and see how he suggests the framework be made.

17. ScottKick

ScottKick

That's what I'll do then hopefully he's done one before lol

18. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Thanks for the link BeatnikPirate, been looking for a source on the sunroof material for a while now this is perfect.

19. ssgbeaver

ssgbeaver

I did one a while back using repro wood then had my interior guy make a canvas top that buttoned on so on nice day I could unsnap it for a Sun roof it was really nice