Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 35 Ford Wires- Acceptable Runout?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by racer32, Jan 12, 2015.

1. racer32

racer32

Just had a pair of wheels checked at Discount Tire, and need to know if they're close enough to straight.

Wheel #1: .027" and .024" lateral runout, and .022 and .018 radial
    Wheel #2: .066" and .050" lateral, .044" and .062" radial

I straightened a few spokes and the rim a little on wheel #2, and there's a little dimple in the bead...hate to work them too much or heat them up, because they have good (old) paint on them. Are they good enough to run on the back with 7.50 Cokers?

2. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

You will be fine wait until you see the runout of those Cokers. I had problems with high speed balancing. It took too much weight. Took half the weight to bubble balance. No problems with vibration.

racer32 likes this.
  3. Can you actually see that runout as little as it is?

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I went through fourteen 16" wires to get four good ones. One tip: mount your tires and road test before you spend money on powder coating. I didn't and it cost me extra bucks I shouldn't have had to spend.

racer32 likes this.

5. CTAV8

CTAV8

I'm glad you brought this up. Been wondering the same thing. Although I've never measured mine, your numbers seem pretty good to me. I know my LR has more run out than yours, but as Hughes Auto says some of it is in the tire.

6. As a retired tire guy, those are good numbers for that type of wheel. You can add or subtract just by the lug tightening procedure. Mark those numbers on the wheel, and when the tire is mounted, you can correlate total runout of the assembly to these specs. You may/maynot need to rotate or flip the tire on the wheel to get the best reading.

Bias tires CAN be notoriously either out of round or plagued with other problems, you may need more than four, unfortunately. Make SURE that the beads are seated out evenly by the GG ring and that they're warmed up (run) when you check them. Just warming them up and letting them cool before you indicate them can make a difference in runout.

Problem there is that the supplier probably won't listen to a runout problem once they're mounted and run.

It's the TOTAL runout of the assembly including the hub that matters.

Good luck!?!

stillrunners and racer32 like this.
  7. Andy

Andy

I hope you are using back up spacer rings when checking the rims. You will get a lot of random readings without the rings.

3wLarry likes this.
  8. racer32

racer32

Numbers were
    Numbers came from Discount Tire's machine. I've still got mechanical brakes, so no spacers needed.

9. racer32

racer32

I've heard the Coker 7.50s can be a wee bit lumpy.

10. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I read some where steel wheel run out ok at .040 inch

11. good thread guys....

racer32 likes this.