Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Allentown (PA) automania swap meet January 16-18

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigbob55, Jan 11, 2015.

1. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I'll be there inside. I know Stan's Stainless (Brave soul that he is) sets up outside. Not the best swap meet for Traditional Hot Rod parts but if you look hard enough you'll find something you can't live without. Let's face it, there isn't much else to do in the Northeast in January...that's why I drive all the way from Pittsburgh to Vend.
    Allentown PA fairgrounds January 16-18....more info on Carlisle Events website

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

You know I'll be there shopping as usual . Hopefully buying more than a few more old videos ;)

3. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

If you strike out on parts buddy I'll be there for back up !

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm always there anyway , Bob - lol !!

5. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Beers on me, stop and shoot the breeze...
    I don't sell a lot there anymore, but with few events too vend in the north east in January... I'll take anything that will pay the expenses of going just to get out of the house.

6. I'll be there. Even if just to get out and look at some stuff. Coming up Sunday.
    -Pat

7. 56shoebox

56shoebox

BigBob how is this swap meet? I drove to the indoor car show in Baltimore the end of November on your recommendation and it was a good show. What is your take on this swap meet?

8. Probably will go on sat. To cold to do much else! Maybe I will see you Bob.

9. AfterhoursFab

AfterhoursFab
    from NJ

I'll be there with a few people, Ive never gone but most of my club members go every year and its only about an hour away.

10. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

There are too few parts and too many accessory vendors ...but I will say it is mostly automotive...not 15 Jewelry and gutter guys per row, it's packed with buyers, vendors spaces always sold out and many are leaving with bags so somebody is selling stuff.
    There are more older parts there than many indoor winter shows I do, some decent tool buys, not overloaded with diecast (and you are hearing this from a guy that sells car movie and drag videos and movie posters so it's hard for me to be impartial as I no longer sell parts)
    It's no "Mini Hershey" but there are traditional hot rod parts there, engine parts, wheels tires and chrome, trim guys
    but if you're looking for 32 original sheet metal that's pushing it. and usually a 1/2 dozen or so decent cars for sale .
    If it were mid July with a show or swap every weekend I wouldn't drive the 350+ miles one way to get there but In January in the northeast I'll take any "car fix" I can

11. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Well the weather looks like is going to cooperate ...low 40's and no snow forcast.
    For those of you that do come, if you buy anything you don;t want to carry feel free to drop it off at my space (O 6-7 just as you go into annex building up the ramp) I can put it behind the display racks until you are ready to leave. Hope to see you there

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

I go, because it is only about 30 minutes at the most for me, but it is a little lame & does cost $10 to get in. But who wouldn't pay that to talk to Stan & Bob?

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Sumptin to do when the weather's crappy. Hey Greg, maybe I'll seeya up there.

14. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Here's the deal Fleetside66...Pay the $10 go walk for a while, when you had enough fun then stop over to the booth....
    I'll put Snake and Mongoose in the DVD player (or any other of your choice), take the lock off the beer cooler, crack open a bag of popcorn...and the bull shit session I'll throw in for free all for your $10 entry
    no playin grab ass with my helper like you used to do at the movies

15. LongT

LongT

When is the showtime? I can walk there from my house. I'll even drive the T if it's reasonably dry. I haven't been in a few years maybe this will be the one!

Bill

16. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Friday noon to 9 PM
    Saturday 9 till 6
    Sunday 9-3
    Truthfully, the best time to go if you live that close is Friday afternoon, everybody is set up by noon and Saturday morning it is so crowded until mid afternoon you can't even walk around...sunday is tire kicker day anything good and reasonably priced is usually gone by then

17. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Even though it's open till 9:00 Friday, some vendors close up at 6:00 so if you are going Friday get there mid afternoon

18. LongT

LongT

I should have been more clear... when do you show the movie and beer?

Bill

19. Looks like road trip time on Friday! A great excuse to bag work!

20. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Sorry Bill...I did misunderstand !
    I can throw a DVD of your choice in one of the 4 players I have going at the show anytime you wish to stop and take a break
    As far as the Beer and Popcorn goes that is also available anytime as long as the stash holds out !

21. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Heading out Thursday AM for set up, Hope to see a few of you there

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Was good to see you again , Bob . As usual , I'm now a couple videos closer to owning all of your car movies , LOL !

23. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Went down on Saturday. Didn't buy much stuff, but it was a pleasure to do some car-related stuff mid-winter. Had a nice chat with Stan. Can't wait for warm weather to get the car out of hibernation and do some cruisin'.

24. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

how was the swap? lots of vendors? good stuff? I've got to know.

26. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I had a good time. It was worth the 1 1/2 drive from NJ to spend a day with friends doing something car related. It was warm and dry inside and there was plenty of time to look through the old stuff guys were selling. I had never been to the Allentown area and I liked it. I also went to the farmers market next door and that was very cool.

27. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

I went on friday, It was nice to get out with freinds, But I noticed a lot of guys walking around with their hands in their pockets.Not much buying going on.PRICES seemed high.

28. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

You need to include this one in your schedule Mr Chevrolet...a long drive for you and me 661 miles round trip but an unbelevebale crowd and people I never see elsewhere as I rarely travel this far east This is my 10 the year vending there and I have yet to do under $1850. My take was up this year as Gas prices are falling so people a bit looser with a buck. PM me and I'll give you the rundown, your stuff would do well. Tough getting an indoor space BUT if you grow balls big as Stan's there is plenty of room outside ...9 degrees is not for me

29. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I agree 41coupe. Full on retail on new parts. Kind of hard to put a price on used stuff though. Value is in the eye of the beholder though. I put a used tool back after the seller told me what he wanted for it. I didn't really have a use for it, wanted it just because it was unique. Oh well. It is what it is.

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I only bought a couple small things and a couple movies from Bob. I never really make out too well up there on my parts quest , but it's a good excuse to see friends and get out on a cold day .