Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bobbed VS Stock Coupe Rear Fenders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I'm considering bobbing my rear fenders on my full fender 31 coupe...heres a now pic in the white color..then a Pic I pulled from the net that are bobbed...all pics and input would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what you are asking. Do you want opinions on bobbed versus full fender decision or are you just looking for pictures of bobbed fenders.

3. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Both I guess Fat47...looking for input /pics and opinions...pros n cons etc

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would not base any thinking on that last photo...the deuce has a fabricated rolled pan that fills the gap between the fenders, while the A has nothing at all down there. The blue A looks a bit crude to me because the fenders were just sliced off. They would fit my taste a lot better if they were sectioned to retain the turn-back from the original fender.

(Barris did magazine stories on both fender sectioning and building a simple roll pan in the late '50's or early sixties. I bet someone here can turn up scans...)

5. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I'm a newbie on early fords..so I didnt know if a guy had to modify his fenders or are there aftermarket bobbed fenders out there

6. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea..thats what I'm looking for...sectioning...i didnt know if these are just cut then shaped or sectioned...my rear fenders are glass...I suppose they can be sectioned as well?

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

heres another example of a rear fender not sectioned but just cut off

Attached Files:

• AG20.JPG
      AG20.JPG
      File size:
      164.2 KB
      Views:
  8. This has been done more times than you can count.
    Not my fave but once you start laying out the bob, it's easy to see how quickly it evolves into this.

image.jpg

Without the bumper on the car, the stock fenders and stock body just don't work together. A little bob, some fender sectioning, some wheel opening work a little roll pan, adjust everything and it works, lots of work though or ^^^^^as seen above and you're finished before the beer gets warm

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Bobbed would be way cool if sectioned and done right.. A lot of work but I think worth it.. I'd much rather see bobbed than a roll pan added...

10. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

That brown one with the pinstripes is Delicious !! I would aim for that. I do remember seeing and old article of how bobbed fenders and a roll pan coordinate to work proportionally. I'm coming up to this
    problem with my '28.

11. CTAV8

CTAV8

In my option, your white coupe looks perfect just the way it is. Stance is really nailed and I think the rear fender dropping down gives it a unique look.

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

X2

13. Without the bumpers etc. at the back the fenders hang down like a droopy duck's bum. They need a section of a good 3 to 4" to bring the proportions back.

And don't just cut across, do a proper section job.

117harv likes this.
  14. X2!

15. Phil1934

Phil1934

16. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

This is how mine are done on the 32. It's how I bought it. While the previous owner was after the Milner look, but didn't finish it. The fenders were already bobbed and were close enough at the time. They have a drop/curve in the bottom and are not narrowed. The front edge is cut similar to the rear. Alot like the bobbed fenders available through brookville. I'm going to change this car drastically in the near future, but I may keep the fenders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40fordtudor likes this.
  17. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my honest opinion, I always bobbed fenders looked like a dog or cat without a tail. There's just something missing.

18. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

19. flthd31

flthd31

Here's my bobbed rears. They are fiberglass so I didn't wand to section them because that seam will eventually come back to haunt you with glass.
    Someday I'll bite the bullet and get some steel rears and do the section to keep that super cool flared bottom.

31 A Coupe.JPG

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

But those look good flthd31 !!...mine are glass too..so this gives me hope that I can make them look better....I was wondering about sectioning fiberglass..wasnt sure it would hold up

21. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

What did you use to cut them...the glass fenders

22. DrJ

DrJ

You should cut the finished flare off the bottom and move it up and reweld it higher. Real important to get them the same length and not tilted. Check out DRD57 's Model A for a really nice one.

23. Boatmark

Boatmark

I like the look of Bobbed by sectioning so the finished product looks like a stock fender, just without the droopy look. I think Jeff Tann did a how-to with photos on a 29' Sedan Delivery in R&C back in . . . oh, maybe the very early 90's

24. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

BTW Flthd31..that coupe is awesome!!

25. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I like this look as well...the factory flip...but I'm afraid with glass fenders sectioning may not work....although I still might try it..if it fails I'll replace the them with steel fenders

26. flthd31

flthd31

I used a die grinder with a thin cut-off wheel.
    I know a few guys that tried to section glass rears to keep the bottom flair but over time, the seam started to show.
    These guys that are telling you to weld the flair back on apparently aren't reading your post stating that they are glass.

27. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Well I'm really impressed with them...I like that you didnt cut them straight, but on a curve instead...they came out real nice..and your coupe is just beautiful!!...how many inches did u take off?

28. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

This set had a 4" section removed and lip put back to look like stock. Best wishes with your project.
    DSC_0372.jpg

Dannerr and DrJ like this.
  29. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Beautiful!!..I think yours is the coupe in the post above that is a link to your fenders being bobbed...Your coupe Rocks!!...love those tailights!!

30. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Bigdrag...what did you fill the roof on your coupe with?...looks like a hood?...love those lines!!