Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's used rustoleum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjd420, Jan 8, 2015.

1. tjd420

tjd420

Thinking about doing it. Would love to see some pics! Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tjd420

tjd420

...and thoughts

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

Rustoleum safety red and some white. No problems. Stands up to Bonneville salt great.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Boeing Bomber like this.
  4. You could do a search, but if everybody did a search - we wouldn't have anything left to talk about.:p

I'd say it's just fine for some cars. I've done 2 vehicles with it. Nobody knew until I told them.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.

5. 117harv

117harv

The search function is your friend:) Did a search with Rustoleum in the title and 69 threads came up. Here is a big one that should help.

Rustoleum Paint

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. tjd420

tjd420

OK, so I left out an important detail. The car is primed with a 2k urethane primer. Will it work??

7. Slopok

Slopok

Sure....Rustoleum sticks to anything.

8. 5window

5window

Who hasn't? That would be a shorter list.

fine29 likes this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many years ago, I painted a '37 Chevy firewall with Rustoleum paint over a lacquer primer. The paint lifted off like Saran Wrap. I learned my lesson - paint over the primer the manufacturer recommends.

10. ... including puke.. don't ask me how I know...

11. Rust oleum can do the job, the more effort you put into it the better the end results.

But it sounds like you've started with better intentions than finishing in rust oleum. Why not a single stage solid color? Pretty cheap and decent quality from summit ( not as cheap as the rust paint from the hardware store though:) ) and I'd bet there's less work and a better job with the SS

12. Ooh HELL NO !
    I'm asking you how do you know?
    That's gonna be too good of a story there

13. roadster1923

roadster1923
    from Girard PA

I feel your pain Bob; back in the early 70's I painted my dashboard in my first 38 Chevy coupe with Rustoleum. Same results as yours! Lesson well learned and remember!

14. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I have it on mine for now, but for all the work involved to get a nice shine probably better off to go with a single stage automotive paint.
    This place has a nice selection of colors in kits under 100 bucks a gallon also acrylic lacquer
    http://www.paintforcars.com/

15. tjd420

tjd420

Ironic 31 Vicky, I bought the single stage summit paint. I tried and tried, just not experienced enough to spray it I guess? Kept ending up with a textured finish. Not a amateur friendly paint to deal with

16. Too dry or too thick or wrong reducer and hardner temp
    Thin it out some, usually max of the recommendations plus a little.
    Match the temp of chemicals to temp of surface painted, not ambient air temp.

If it's a solid color you can wet sand the texture and buff it. The perfect SS paint job right out of the gun is on a razor sharp line between orange peel and runs. Orange peel is way more forgiving and easier to correct than runs.

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I've done it & I think turned out fairly decent! (But it's an Off topic vehicle) Check this site out for all kinds of information...
    http://rolledon.forummotion.com/

Or search for ......... rustoleum and over 5 pages will pop up, Message me if you want more info ~Chuck

18. tjd420

tjd420

Thanks to both of you, exactly what I'm looking for

19. k9racer

k9racer

I only use it on trailers. derby cars. fence post. tin roofs and metal outside storage buildings. Most of the time all I do is wash down with gasoline and brush paint. If its nice spend a little money.

Frankie47 likes this.
  20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

It's great for pinstriping!!
    I've heard that you ever want to repaint over it that you will have to take it down to metal if you want to use a different type of paint. FYI

21. Well... this is when I was running a couple of stock cars 2x a week... the post race parties in the pits at Islip used to go on until 2AM. I usually had my wife put my car on the trailer right after the race, unless we were protested. This time it was still on the grass for the festivities.

The next day in light, it was obvious that someone had hurled on the front fender and hood. We were going to be touching up the paint anyway as we always did week to week. My brother sees it, shrugs and scrapes the big pieces off and proceeds to paint right over the residue.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Personally I like it better than home made Patina.

23. Me too. ^^^^^

Does it matter when we used Rustoleum? The first I remember using it would have been the '60s. Wheels, bikes, engine blocks. most recently rattle can dash boards. I think I am still partial to brushed on Rustoleum for wheels though, maybe its just a quirk.

40fordtudor likes this.
  24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Well I have used Krylon rattle can for small parts, but they recently changed the formula and it doesn't cover and behave well anymore. I switched to Profesional Rustoleum rattle can and like it much better. But I don't have any experience with mixing and spraying Rustoleum it out of a gun.

Ago

25. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Straight out of the rattle can.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420815361.797094.jpg

40fordtudor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Building the wagon I used Rustoleum red primer on the '54 frame,rear axle,suspension,and all the old & new sheet metal of the floor (both top & bottom) after sandblasting everything. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40fordtudor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. LAROKE

LAROKE

Rattlecan, outdoors, at different times (a fender one weekend, a bed panel the next, etc.). It's still a thirty footer but better than I started with.
    bb102299.jpg bb112306a.jpg

28. I have never mixed and shot Rustoleum from a gun either. the beauty of the old Rustoleum was that you could brush it on and it would lay out just as smooth as silk.

29. 327Eric

327Eric

Don't use it on a car you you care about. Worked great on my OT 4x4s,demo derby cars, and beater 71 Chrysler. I painted over it on my 59 Elcamino, because I changed my mind on the finish, and the topcoat is cracking and peeling.

porknbeaner likes this.
  30. The stock cars were done with quart cans and those disposable 3" roller & tray combos. Cut in with a foam brush maybe. All touch ups were by rattle can. Looked great from the stands.