Register now to get rid of these ads!

Towel city Cheater question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scochrane55, Jan 8, 2015.

1. scochrane55

scochrane55

I have read a few things on here about the towel city slicks, but wanted to know if anyone has run them at the strip? I'm building my 55 and wanted to run a set of them with custom groves for street and maybe another set of just slick for track. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. scochrane55

scochrane55

anybody running them or the radir or coker cheaters???

3. Towel City cheater slicks are recaps.....good for show and a driver but not for racing

4. I ran Towel City tires on stock cars where it was the track tire. They held up well, but I'd find something else for hammer time for a street/strip car. M&H has a couple of nice nostalgic style slicks that are available new.

5. i have run radirs for years with no problems. low tens at 136mph.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Towel City will build you a tire to meet your specific needs. YOU decide the type of rubber they use for the tread. They are very customer friendly and go beyond expectations to exceed expectations

loudbang likes this.
  7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I live bout 5 mi. from T.C.tires and bobwop got it rite bout them...........................

bobwop likes this.
  8. scochrane55

scochrane55

Awesome so mixed feelings about the recaps I think ill buy a set for maybe cruising and when I go to the strip maybe mt's or m&h

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I just wish they did bias...

10. Muttley

Muttley

I have a pair of Radir's on my Comet, no runs down the strip but lots of street miles with no complaints.

[​IMG]

11. flyingpiston53

flyingpiston53
    from bristol ri

Just mounted my towel city pie crusts today on my model A roadster. The people at towel city were very accommodating and the shipping was very fast. Excellent quality I would recommend them to anybody ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420929256.011966.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420929273.878656.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420929284.265831.jpg

EVL401 likes this.
  12. Been running Radirs for years. no complaints or issues. Compound is on the hard side for the strip, so I run M&H at the track. picture032.jpg

EVL401 likes this.
  13. Towel City makes a really good tire. I know of Quite a few people running them on the street and at the track with no issues. I bet last year at the meltdown Drags there was probably 100 cars running them and have never herd one complaint on them. My brother is one that runs them they have been on his car 4 years now and has made several 10-11 sec passes with no issues. hope this helps

14. Here's a few picks of towel city tires hooking also. The malibu is my brothers car and the 31 chevy is my buddy's car

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  15. scochrane55

scochrane55

Awesome guys thanks for all the pictures. I think I have made my tire choice to get the towel city cheaters!

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thing that always makes me giggle a bit is that until the mid sixties, about 75% of the drag slicks made were recapped tires! Done correctly, a recap is every bit as good as regular tire. Cheap "cold caps" aren't done correctly, and DO come apart.

For a long time I sold Hurst recaps to my customers here in Phoenix, and many of the cars that I have them running around on are true dual purpose cars. Crap, my next door neighbor just clicked off a high tens run on his last weekend! The Towel City cheaters that I am running on my 'bucket right now are my first set from them, and I really like them BETTER than the Hurst's that I have run forever! Go for it, you'll really like them.

17. it makes me giggle to think about how fast or should i say how slow the cars really ran back then. super stocks were running in the high twelves. mid 64 they were just breaking into the 11s with factory sponsored cars. making recaps a non issue. with todays speed parts and track prep the cars are much faster than anyone could have ever imagined back in the day. i have seen some disasters with the recaps. the radirs may cost more but they are still cheaper than a new car or worse. with radirs on the car in my avatar i went well into the eights. and i have it on video.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  18. scochrane55

scochrane55

racer-x that's fast with cheeters. I mean yeah I'm all about good prices but for tires ill definitely throw some money out there cause I want something that will take all kinds of beatings. So I am between the towel city and raiders but it will still be a little while. But the guy that is doing body work now wants me to get the rear tires now to radius the quarters.