Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Custom" hubcaps for original 54 Chevy rim, what fits?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by John 79, Jan 7, 2015.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I reasently bought a 54 Chevy Delray 2 door.
    Im turning it into a mild custom and want some nice hubcaps.
    The original rims are very shallow so i guess alot of hubcaps are to deep.
    Ive tryed some 56 Lincoln caps and they were to Deep to fit.
    What do you run that fits the original rims?

[​IMG]

2. vwdave30

vwdave30

Im thinkin olds caps might work and they are my favorite hubcaps :)

Attached Files:

JennSeay32 likes this.
  3. Need something to clear the front dust cap. That's the only problem I ever had.

4. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

I had to change the wheels on my Chevy to later 75 model wheels and am running Olds flippers , everything fits fine now , even with the dust caps still on . The caps wouldn't fit the old 54 wheels . The newer wheels are about an inch deeper . Good luck , you have a good looking Chevy !

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I think most after market caps will work. Olds can be a problem - Larry Watson's Grapeview is a perfect example - he had to "pop" them out to fit his stock rims - '54 caps I think - I had to do the same thing to fit on my '50 shoebox. Your car is sweet - enjoy!!

6. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

IMHO I would go to a hubcap guy and try a few different ones. I had the same issues with 15" caps on my truck. Now I am left with a whole shelf of caps that didn't clear the dust cover (Live and Learn I guess). I ended up adapting a set of early 60s Buick caps to allow for the dust cover.

Middle 60s GM caps fit without issues. If you go with them you might decide to remove the center cap Buick/Pontiac/olds etc... You'll need to make your own or live with what they have as center caps were another source of contention for me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Reverse your wheels. Any 15'' wheel cover will then fit. As for Olds spinners, only '56 Starfires fit stock wheels - Fiestas are too deep.

8. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Lancers will work, they have a "dish" in the center. I'm running them on stock 15" truck wheels.

9. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I've always liked the 54 originals. For some reason I can't upload a pic but run them on my 50 most of the time.
    I also have a set of 57 Caddy's and a set of 56-57 Olds caps that I switch out. They should all fit your wheels.

10. '54 Bel Air full caps. Perfection for that car.

jimmy six and Chavezk21 like this.
  11. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Ive got a set of original full caps but i dont like them.
    Was thinking of 57 caddy but i want something smoother for this car because it will just be a mild custom.
    Just lower it and get rid of the emblems/doorhandles etc, you know the deal.

12. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

13. vwdave30

vwdave30

Studabaker

Attached Files:

14. Jay71

Jay71

Im with Chili Phil on this one. Love 54 bel Air caps.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  15. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I have 53 chevy wheels on my hudson with 53 oldsmobile caps. I think I had some mercury caps on there once as well I'll have to see. I have 4 brand new 53 chevy baby moons I was thinking of running but I think they would look cool on your car

16. * What ; make, model, car, had the wheels that you have- I want to replace wheels on my 53 with 15x5 4.75 bolt pattern . My junk yards always ask what car are the wheels you want from they don't sell just by size inventory

17. southerncad

southerncad

How about using '57 Plymouth caps, nice and smooth looking with plenty of clearance for the front hubs/dust caps...Yup they are 14 inchers, so just pop-rivet them to a 15 inch trim ring and your in business....and they are not just another belly-button cap:D

18. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Bumping this back up!

What 15" hubcaps clear the Stock Chevy dustcap? They are pretty large and stick out far! I've tried a few different caps, and nothing is clearing!

19. 58prostreet

58prostreet

I have 52 dodge rims that are shallow also. I cut the top off of dust cap and welded a flat piece back on it and gained about 3/8 in. Enough to run the 56 Imperial caps.

20. ‘54 Bel Air full wheel covers with a bullet are my favorite.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  21. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

F2FD4CAB-D53C-480F-B4B5-CD95C36E0880.jpeg A nice set of these dog dish caps that I am told are for ‘58 Chevy could give you a nice custom look.

22. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Bumping this back up!
    Curious as to what factory 50's hubcaps will fit over the Chevy hub?

I'm thinking Dodge Lancers will fit because I've seen many old pics of guys running them in the 50's?l on 49-54 Chevys. But would like to know before I get a set!

23. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

I have a '54 Bel Air sedan and have run both repop 15" Lancers, and '54 Olds 88 "standard"/not Fiesta caps on the Chevy. If you intend use the Lancers be sure bend the tabs inward for a tighter griping surface... dyno dave

ModelAPunk likes this.
  24. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Great! Thanks! I was wondering about the olds caps as well. Do you have any pics of your car with the caps on it?

25. O/G 54 Chevy are great looking.[​IMG]

tomkelly88 and Chavezk21 like this.
  26. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Sorry for the delay, thought I had photos of the '54 on this site, did'nt find any.. These are '54 Olds 88 caps, I used a smaller chrome bullets, darker blue background & red stripe in the centers, covered the white rib insets with blue pin- striping tape... Hope this is helpful, dyno dave

Attached Files:

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I've been packing around a set of '56 Olds 88 caps for over a decade (one of my favorite caps) and finally thought I was going to get to use them on my '52 coupe but guess what I learned last night? Don't fit (for two reasons, one being the shallow dish/spindle height the other being they are so damn tight in the rim I can hardly get them in to start).

Seems I am on the hunt for some lancers or fiestas (if anyone's holding)

Better yet, can anyone confirm they're running lancers or fiestas on their 49-52 (or 53/54) before I start scrounging?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  28. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I find the Olds and Dodge caps too rich for my blood most days...the vette aren't even in the same ballpark haha.

29. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

I have always thought 1954 Chevy full covers looked good on earlier Chevy models, liked the style and colors... dyno dave

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Chavezk21 likes this.
  30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul