Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little something from fab32 I want to share

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

In early 2007 I had a meltdown on this board. I was in over my head, had no idea what I was doing, and I was dangerously close to quitting this whole hot rod deal. I still had my circle track car and I was ready to go back racing. Out of frustration I cut my chassis in half, yanked the suspension and shoved the whole pile in the corner.

We all know Frank could be a cantankerous curmudgeon from time to time, but he also had a big heart and knew when people were hurting. He sent me this message that night. The next day he came over and showed me what to do to get my chassis squared away. Within a few weeks I had a rolling chassis, and a year later I was doing burnouts in my hot rod. I've only showed this note to one person in the last eight years, but now I want everyone to see it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420665227.669870.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Clark, volvobrynk, Harms Way and 4 others like this.
  2. Thanks for sharing

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Yep those are wise words.

40fordtudor and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Did not know Frank but always read his threads and posts. From what I have read about him in the last day or so I could certainly see him sending you that message. He surely was a great guy and will be sorely missed by his family and friends everywhere.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Thanks for sharing.

6. I honestly think that Frank enjoyed the persona of cantankerous curmudgeon but the people how thought the world of him knew better.

I have said it before but I feel I am a better man for having known Frank through the Hamb. HRP

7. Kinda makes me think of Earnhardt. He had that contrived gruff exterior that hid a heart of gold. I'll never forget reading the story after his passing when he paid to have a church parking lot paved there in Kannapolis. He told the pastor if he ever mentioned to anyone who had the lot paved he would send over a front-end loader and rip up every inch of asphalt. I think Frank must have been the same kind of guy.:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Since you are sharing,this is a PM I received from Frank. HRP

Danny, I just read your post about your daughters accident. In all of the years we've been on the HAMB this is the first I've heard of this tragedy. I'd like you to know that you, Brenda and your daughter will be in our prayers this holiday season. I'll include one for the off duty fireman that came to her rescue.
    As you might remember (I've posted it on the HAMB before) I suffered a severe head trauma in 1988 when an industrial overhead garage door collapsed on me. Years of surgery and rehabilitation have returned me to 80% of what I was and we thank God for that. I hate it when someone tells you, 'I know how you feel" when they haven't had so much as a headache in comparison but I have a small insight as to what your daughter experienced and is still dealing with. It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear of something like this.
    If it's ever my privilege to meet you in person I would very much like to meet your daughter. I've met several people who have had similar experiences and it's amazing how the fact that those who have had bad physical experiences take an instant liking to one another and easily share their feelings. Tell her there is someone in Michigan who can relate on a small scale to her experience and is glad she survived to live her life and see her children grow. Enough for now,

Frank

fab32, 40fordtudor, Harms Way and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucky77

Lucky77

And that brings tears to my eyes reading it because I can hear him saying each word in my head. Damn, tomorrow is gonna be tough.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Lucky77

Lucky77

I think Frank would have liked the Earnhardt comparison. And he was very generous. He paid a guy's entry fee for Autorama after the guy blew all his money finishing the car. He didn't feel like carrying a bunch of cherry 67-68 Camaro sheet metal home that he didn't sell at a swap meet, so he just gave it all to a young couple just starting out selling similar parts.

I got a call today from a guy who Frank helped out at an auction when his credit card was declined. Hell just looking around my shop there's so much stuff I got from Frank over the years, stuff I never would have been able to afford. He'd just show up at lunch and say "You bring your truck? I got something for you." He never came close to charging me market price even though he knew what it was worth. He'd say "I'll just screw you over on the next deal." Here's just a few of the rare and go fast stuff he "screwed" me on over the years. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420673398.089676.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420673413.506020.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420673430.572241.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420673444.899314.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420673457.490989.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420673469.442487.jpg

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Sounds like Frank was one in a million. We need more like him in this world. God Bless him and all his family and friends.

12. Scott....that's what I'm talking bout...Frank lives on in those parts...guys like that are 1 in a million and were lucky when we meet one.

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Frank was the man.
    A terrific man.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Harms Way

Harms Way

11/21/12,... PM from Frank

Just before Thanksgiving, a while after the basement flood,.

"Dennis, on a different topic I might have a couple of rifles that were in the basement when it flooded that I'd like you to get operational again. I'll let you look at them the next time you stop by.
    A week from now we'll have an "excuse/reason/reminder" to give our heavenly father an extra amount of praise for the bountiful blessings he has heaped upon a basically undeserving band of followers. No matter how much I praise him I'm always left with a feeling of how inadequate my acknowledgement is. I guess when you look at your life and realize how undeserving you are of his salvation it just keeps you humble.
    Hope this finds you and your family safe and secure. Looking forward to the next time we meet.

Frank"

Well done Frank !....... Well done !!!

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Scott,.... thought you would enjoy this P.M. from Frank just before last years Autorama,....Because it mentions you.

got your message

[​IMG]
    fab32
    Member Emeritus

from Bay City, Mi. USA

We got your phone message the other night as you were on your way home. I assume you were at Cobo with your car club doing overnight patrol, right?
    I went down on Thursday for "move in" to help Scott put his F1 pickup on display. I wandered around a bit and got a good overview of the cars on display. I was going to go back down on Friday with the Midland gang I have lunch with but they already had 2 cars filled. I declined their offer to be tied on the hood "dead deer style" so Sharon and I spent the day together. Not a bad trade-off as I love that woman more today than when I married her.
    When I started this note I had something in mind to ask you but it seems I'm in the grip of a "CRS moment" so you can look forward to another PM if and when I become aware again.:eek::D

Frank

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

DONNA...where's the Kleenex...they're talkin about Frank again...

kidcampbell71 and Harms Way like this.
  17. pitman

pitman

Lucky; you mean to say that Frank 'lent' you the holy grail of crossmembers?
    I am un worthy! Thanks for telling of this.

18. Sharing our private messages is something we wouldn't normally do but in doing so we are sharing a different perspective of how much Frank cared about his friends.

Hopefully we can learn from Franks example and become better people.HRP