Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Been able to work on it a little more as of late.Finished the cage. Time to install the Engine ,trans , and build the headers.( By the way is there anything out there that fits reasonably close for a SBC- translate that into something close that I can cut up and make work ?) With no firewall, etc now is the time. Need a 1 3/4 primary and a 3 1/2 to 4 in. collector - I can build from scratch- not the first time - just wondered if there was a short cut and with this much knowledge on the hamb figured I would ask. Yep went back to the old front wheels - look better! This one will be injected hilborn. Anyway here are some pics - Enjoy.
    Mitch

Attached Files:

EVL401, 31hotrodguy, winr and 5 others like this.
  2. SBC? o_O Where's the HEMI :)

31hotrodguy and els like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

A little man came in from the mid west and bought out every hemi peice I had - even the donovan in the dragster. Now I need to sell the dragster and the trailer - shes a looker- but needs to go.Hey need a dragster( as in new ) and a trailer- Ill sell it to ya.
    Mitch

els likes this.
  4. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

5. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Prefect looks great. Love the pic's of the rolling chassis.

els likes this.
  6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Really nice and I like the idea for Hillborn injection with a small block.

Keep the pictures coming.

Jimbo

els likes this.
  7. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Looks nice keep us updated on the build.

els likes this.
  8. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

Yes sir , those hilborn injectors will make your gasser fly. Great job.

els likes this.
  9. What front axle kit did you use? I just picked up a 2 door sedan ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421675135.735933.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els likes this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

els likes this.
  11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sorry about the earlier mess ups. We took a aftermarket axle and narrowed it. Not hard just build a jig and make certain you get good penetration on the weld. Check 5 times weld once.
    Tried to use a set of headers from schoenfeld. #1402. They will actually work except for the collector. It. Is to close to suite me on the back of the fender. I don't want to cut them. Traded a lot of stuff to get the fiberglass front cap lol. Ain't gonna cut it. Look like I am going to build a set but that the norm for me. But for the record if you willing to cut the bottom of the fender they fit nice. Buy the time I buy them and cut and modify them I can build a set just as cheap.
    Pics soon as I can.
    Mitch

els likes this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Front axle is from speedway. Still had to narrow it. Don't like front wheels sticking out of the front wheel opening. Nobody made an axle narrow enough to use the quarter eclipse parallel springs so I bought a straight and narrowed it.

els likes this.
  13. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

You can order custom length front axles from speedway. Mine is only 36" wide from them.

els likes this.
  14. Thanks for the info

els likes this.
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

My front frame rails are 23 inches wide at the widest point.I used the axleI had ordered for another project that sold before completion .. I forgot how much but it was narrow enough that at that time no one wanted to attempt it, but being fair I wanted a very narrow drop axle at the time. When that fell through I figured it was paid for and I would use what I had one way or another. As it turned out the stance is perfect and the drop axle wasnt needed. I wanted the hood/ front end level- with a small hint of forward rake - Good Lord must like this one - worked out perfect.To say that I really planned it would be a lie.Luck Counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

els likes this.
  16. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Mitchell,
    Just read back a little and noticed your asking about headers. I built my own and I started out with a pair of roadster style headers. I think the brand was Patriot. Anyway, I measured and cut the tubes off a shot distance from the flange. I then put the collector where I wanted it and started fitting pieces to connect them. It worked real well and I only had to buy two bends, all the rest I used what was there. I bought them through Speedway. 1 5/8" primaries to a 3 1/2" collector. HEADERS 004.jpg HEADERS 007.jpg HEADERS 008.jpg HEADERS 011.jpg HEADERS 007.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for the info and pics.

els likes this.
  18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Latest up date, have figured out that in order to get what I want I am going to build from scratch . BUT- it may be another week or so before I start because the 41 Willys is suppose to be home today at 5:00( can you say COOL and Broke - In the same breath.) YEPPEE.

els likes this.
  19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Great looking project, Prefects make cool gassers

els likes this.
  20. Saxxon

Saxxon

We built our from a stocker...
    We made every mistake in the book yet somehow managed to build something that actually moves. The more we see it in all it's patina'd glory the more we are resisting the temptation to paint it.

IMG_4819-M.jpg photo 1.JPG

21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Prefect has a brother now. Hope they get along- lol.

Attached Files:

22. Two great gassers, WOW! How cool is that!:D:D

els likes this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am envious.
    I just want one gasser.
    Well it will happen one day

els likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

yea - got to sell the Jr fueler - need the cash and now the room. Could be worse.:)

els likes this.
  25. drumyn29

drumyn29

HOLY CRAP, I just found this, COOL!!

els likes this.
  26. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I bet when dad's not there the Willys pushes his little brother around a bit.....just sayen...

els likes this.
  27. Now you'll need another Hemi Mitch o_O

els likes this.
  28. LOL in our era ( pre '64) those were not allowed to run with a hemi, imports were required to run small displacement motors. :D

els and Gord Weislein like this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Trying to get everything bought and here so when June gets here I can get to work.
    Got all the hard ware for the windows for the Willys( gonna be manual-real race cars did not have electric) - even though it would be easier.( Even thought of the seat belt trick that the chrysler boys used to use). Got the header kit in so I can build them for the prefect. Got ( 3) 4X8 sheets of aluminum for the interior of the prefect actually thinking about engine turning each complete sheet before I use it.But most of the cars of this era were really not that nice. Need to sell the clutch turbo and /or trade it for another hilborn set up. And need to sell the jr fueler /trailer and buy/ build a really snotty small block for the prefect to match what we have for the willys. I even considered tracking down my blown six chevy that was in my other FED that I sold to a guy in the Denver area. But I really need to keep them the same so if I grenade one engine - I can rob the one from the other car and vice verse. Lol. Weather is getting better and parts are pilling higher- Damn day job- But I gotta eat.
    Mitch

els likes this.
  30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

very cool. keep up the good work. I'd like an Anglia to keep my willys company some day too.

els likes this.