Register now to get rid of these ads!

GARAGE ART: What'd you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neonloverrob, Oct 28, 2009.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

2. 117harv

117harv

ricks 56 f100 075 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 079 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 051 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 027 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 025 (Small).jpg I made this in the last few weeks, a surprise Christmas present for a friend. The bumper is off of a Buick and the leaf springs from a mid 70's Ford 3/4 ton 4x4. I had to weld a couple springs together to get what I needed, wouldn't work on the truck, but fine for here. The arms are from a type of concrete form bracket cut in half, I welded tabs to them and bolted all together with large Allen bolts. The black is 50% gloss powder coat, the other silver vane. I would have liked to have kept it, oh well, the design and fab is the fun part.

3. Thats awesome looking.

4. a steam punk working kaleidoscope i built for my nephew for christmas. water valve works a light to shine on varies car parts in vintage jar. the jar can be rotated to morph the image. i used ss exhaust pipe, spark plug and other car related items steam punk kaleidoscope 1.jpg steam punk kaleidoscope 2.jpg

Merlin, kiwijeff, gonmad and 9 others like this.
  5. That my friend is a work of art! :) HRP

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Outstanding~!!!!

7. thanks. always wanted to make one. i can not believe how many tools, steps and different skills that it took to build. glass, wood, metal, getting the light to work, the bottle to spin etc..... next year i will try something easier like restoring a car for him:D

Dick Stevens and tommyd like this.
  8. porky55

porky55

Made this light for my father-in-law.
    Old Chevy hubcap, couple connecting rods, and a GMC 305 V6 valve cover. 1420478302081.jpg 1420478343569.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

slack likes this.
  9. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Not exactly "built" per se but garage art created by and old sticker, the last issue and a frame not doing anything... :cool: (pay no attention to the glare)

Attached Files:

10. Voh

Voh

How did you mount the magazine to keep it from sagging? its a GOOD idea!

11. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

It's just clamped in there now just using the cardboard on the back. Frame is for a single thickness rather than a magazine. Is pretty tight for now. Was going to use some of those double sided sticky thingamabobs for it but couldn't find them around the house so just did it this way. We'll see how it lasts. If you figure out how to keep it from sagging, let me know. I think matting the thickness of the mag cut out for the mag to sit in would possibly work. Decal is taped on the backside. Thanks.

12. Speed~On

Speed~On

I was bored one day so i decided to make a lamp for my workbench. Having good lighting in the garage is good, right?! I went to the grocery store and found 2 large cans (canned potatoes...yuk!) they went down the garbage disposal. I used stainless steel rivets and riveted a sheet of copper around each can. Then mounted a light in each can. I had some extra metal and a letter stamping kit, so I stamped out little data tags for each can. I used gas piping for the base. Hopefully you guys like it more than my wife does...she was less than amussed. LOL!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    kiwijeff, tommyd, Russman69 and 3 others like this.
  13. Speed~On

Speed~On

I wanted some more light above my workbench so I made 3 can lights that hang from the ceiling. Same idea as my lamp....the jumbo potato cans with a new lease on life.

[​IMG]
    Not really car related....I was just bored and wanted to solve a problem with a kool solution.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  14. 80WTI

80WTI

^^^^ Awesome mate, also love the continental aircraft plate. Lee

15. logride

logride
    from CB IA

image.jpg image.jpg Some rocket power.

kiwijeff, tommyd, Speed~On and 4 others like this.
  16. She was probably pissed you dumped the potatoes...:D

17. The lights are cool looking. Sometimes wife's just don't see what we see, when it come to garage art!

18. Speed~On

Speed~On

Thanks guys for the great compliments. It's nice to know others can appreciate my tinkering.
    ME: "Honey, look at this cool lamp I made"
    HER: Rolls eyes..."That's staying in the garage, RIGHT!??"

Thank you! Some metal, copper rivets, and an old aircraft logo. Gives the lights some character.

She never sees the 'big picture'. :D

So true! I will say she is pretty awesome when it comes to 'garage stuff'. I can do what I want...as long as it stays in the garage.

19. 117harv

117harv

I like the lamps too, nice job. Just one question though, why didn't you buy something you liked, instead of the potatoes you threw out?:)

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

The lamps are cool. The copper wraps make a huge difference

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

^^ I tried, but those cans were the perfect size that I needed. I bet I looked awfully strange measuring cans in the isle at the grocery store.

ATTENTION SECURITY, WE HAVE A CODE BLUE IN ISLE 6!!

117harv likes this.
  22. Speed~On

Speed~On

Here is another project I made. I posted this in one of the Friday Art forums a while back.
    I found a 1931 Ford Model A grill shell at a swap meet. The shell was a little beat up and in dire need of polishing. After days of work the grill shell came out pretty nice. I then made some metal framing that holds the matting and photo. I used this grill as a shadowbox picture frame for a photo of my Model A.

I did not alter the grill shell in any way. I used the lacing holes to mount the metal framework that holds the multiple pieces of matting and the photo. You could remove the metal framing, matting, and photo in about 10 minutes and this grill could me used on a hot rod once again. I gave this to my parents as a gift.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  23. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

24. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421541656.669837.jpg
    Not car related, I made this gate out of 1"X1" tubing and rebar to keep my dogs out of the rest of my house.

tommyd likes this.
  25. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421541896.571761.jpg

These end tables seem to be popular on here, mine was made with an old axle and a 4-way lug wrench. Any 5x4 3/4 wheel will bolt on.

26. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

clock.JPG A project I'm working on. A vintage Bridgeport mill belt housing re-purposed as a pendulum clock. Still have to get material for the clock face frame and machine it for glass.

Blue

jadegrenade 51 and tommyd like this.
  27. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

He had the back of a pickup cab against the wall and the pickup bed was the bed

28. Latest project. Picked up the rear section, on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

gonmad, mcnally351, enloe and 3 others like this.
  29. clem

clem

image.jpg built by my brother many years ago.

kiwijeff, Speed~On and tb33anda3rd like this.