Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects RainierHooker's '28 A - Wartime Tub Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RainierHooker, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Looks great!

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Got the last few holes and adjustments done. Waiting on a couple warning light lenses, and it'll be done, save paint.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420327256.988544.jpg

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  3. snot275

snot275

needs a cigarette lighter

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Plumbed...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420343386.710640.jpg

Also, I changed the thread title to reflect a -slight- change in direction for this build. Since I have endeavored to keep all the parts possible pre-war, and with the abundance of pictures, most from @gwhite, of Phaetons matching my 'vision', built in the 1938-1942 time frame, it only seemed right to label it as such. This is now a war-time build.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Jungle Jalopy, jmiller1918 and gwhite like this.
  5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The inspiration:

[​IMG]

The Riley-Powered McClair Phaeton at Harper Lake in 1940.

6. You know I love it!

7. Dude. I love tubs !! Where is the pic' ?? Reload, reload, pull !!!

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Anyone know of a local place that would have a Stromberg gasket kit in stock?

Gas everywhere...

Edit: How the night ended...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. Just texted you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. The WWII Tub !

11. McClair.jpg

12. For anyone local. I've found Rod's Quality Ford Parts out in Snohomish seems to have a good selection of reproduction bits of you need a quick fix. v8 stuff mostly.

13. snot275

snot275

So is a '32 shell on your list of "eventually" or going to continue to run your stocker?

14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

It's on the 'eventually' list @snot275 but probably not until after I get this thing back on the road. Unless you have one that you want to get rid of...

Call it cliché, but it is just one of those things that nails the look for this era of build.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  15. snot275

snot275

You're going for a period look, there's no such thing as cliché or imagination. You're basically retorting a "fact" in the guise of a car. People that call '32 shells "cliché" or opt out because "everyone is doing it" don't understand the concept of matching a period. You lose your right to personal favor when you decide to do so, haha.
    Not gonna lie though, I'm a big fan of the stock shell on your car :rolleyes:

16. Hamb won't let me post a picture to tease you.

17. Yes! And all the people said "Amen."

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. waiting for more updates Evan !

19. This is all very interesting to me. The last few posts here about dash swaps and '32 shells...I'm often thinking about the same stuff. On the dash, going to the '32 gives you so much more freedom on your gauge selection...the stock "A" dash is pretty limiting. I've thought about getting an "Aristocrat" dash...even the repro's are pricey (to my budget). I'd love to get ahold of a nice original "Aristocrat". The fact that you are keeping your stock cowl tank is also very interesting....I want to see how your clearance issues, if any, shake out.

Also, the '32 shell....I've always been a big fan of the stock '28-'29 shell, but I'm building a War-era car, too, and I note the preponderance of '32 shells in the archival photos. I've also seen a "few" stock (28/29) shells left in place at that era, so I don't think keeping the stock shell is an outrageous act by any means.

A side issue for me is the "fill or don't fill" the '32 emblem and rad fill trim/cap. I like the stock jewelry on the '32 shell, but by the early 'forties, the filled '32 shell seems to be the preferred set-up.

Love your car and thread, keep up the good work!
    Jim

gwhite likes this.
  20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Followed the rabit hole and ended up here, what a cool tub, have a parts pile that will end up being a tub at some point, have followed your 39 deluxe thread, I also have a 39 std 4 door which will end up tail dragging, again another project!

Cheers

Glenn

21. I just spent the past two hours reading this thread instead of working. What an awesome phaeton! It's really turning out great, and you're nailing it with the attention to detail. Very inspiring. Can't wait to see you finish it out.

I've always had a thing for phaetons, but as of late, I've been doing some serious brainstorming and planning...
    IMG_5765.JPG

22. Hot tub club alive and well! Looking forward to seeing this finished and hit the road as well!

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Hot Tub Club"??? Wow! If that's not already goin', we oughta have some plaques made up.
    If it is already a club, I have a '27 T tub. Rub-a-dub-dub! Lemme in!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Hot Tub Club... man, I dig that.
    I was just thinking the same damn thing. Some plaques would be pretty cool, I'm envisioning real early style, late 40s, early 50s plaques. Would be cool even if the 'members' were spread out across North America.

25. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks all and sorry about the, again, stalled progress. I've been in Alabama for about a month for a course for work, and will be here until August. I'll be sure to give an update when I return. Not to mention, I have been kinda distracted by my '39.

I did notice that I never posted this...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436781070.371462.jpg

A friend picked the WICO magneto up at a swap and offered it to me right about when I was having some issues with my distributor. Near as I can figure, this thing was built in 1945 or 1946 so it may or may not fit my timeframe perfectly, but if it helps my timing woes, I may be inclined to keep it even after I get my '32 dizzy rebuilt.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  26. white64

white64
    from Maine

What period appropriate slogan would Andy Hardy paint on the side of that jalopy!?

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RainierHooker likes this.
  28. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Hey, I have a question. With the stretch-drop axle did you have to modify any of your steering gear to clear the axle? Was thinking of going that route on my roadster but keeping the A spindles...